U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM

141 posts, read 94,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Pitbulls should be outlawed.

They were specifically bred to kill and do an excellent job at it.

But, like guns, the pitbull has become a symbol of being "someone".

The pitbull is the CHEAPEST status symbol available.

Can't afford a fancy car? Get a pitbull.
I agree, but ANY large dog can do serious damage. It's not jut pit bulls. Rotties, akita's ect. Mastiffs are more powerful than pit bulls. Same with american bull dog(NOT english bull dog). They're all the same. Why couldn't people have domesticated a herbivore like a pig or a goat instead(lol) or even get house cats. Never been charged at by a off leash cat and can't compare a 20 pound cat to a 120 pound mastiff just on size. Never mind aggression. Dogs charge, cats run away when the mail man comes. That says it all right there.

It's really the owners and their complete disregard for others safety. This is just another example of blaming the victim of the dog attack. Now he might lose his job on top of it. All for having to deal with a moron who can't control their dogs.

That's what these idiotic dog owners do. They don't seem to understand that these dogs can and do get aggressive and attack people all the time. Totally delusional and ALWAYS look to blame the victim when their dog attacks. They lack compassion for other people. They value a dog over a person. It's really disgusting. Just look at people's complete disregard for leash laws.

Honestly, best use of 2nd amendment would be to carry a gun for protection. A lot better than a box cutter. Driver got lucky.

When I said in another comment section of that story that it was self defense the lunatics were talking about using less lethal means. Oh give me a break! Two charging big ass dogs and a box cutter isn't enough! Forget that. I'd use a gun if I had one.

When will dog owners take responsibility for the fact they have an unpredictable predator that can and does attack without warning. it's just a dumb animal following instincts. Some dogs are nice, a lot are NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,075,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My question is, if the dogs were in their yard and he was delivering a package, why did he even have a box cutter with him going to the house?

I've seen other reports on this and apparently the invisible fence allows the dogs to come into the front yard to a certain point, which they did, and he got scared and cut them. But again, why was he carrying a box cutter to deliver the package to the door in the first place?

lizardtastic, you appear to have issues with either dogs or with a specific breed(race?) of dog, or both.

UPS delivers out here to the farm, where we have three dogs, two heelers and a Pyrenees/Lab cross. All go barking to meet the truck. Why? Because they know the UPS guy has dog cookies for them. However, they LOOK threatening - it's their job. The propane guy, a man who looks to be in his 70's, delivers, and while my eldest Heeler is extremely cautious of everybody and I've had people who didn't know him who drove all the way up the drive to try to sell me something not get out of their car because they were afraid he might bite (something that, being often out here by myself and 5'2" and in my sixties, I don't mind them being concerned about until I know who they are), he runs to the truck when this guy arrives, and the guy gets out and says, "Where's your ball?" and plays ball with him while the propane tank fills. I'm sure both men have pepper spray or mace or something with them if needed, but they've made a point of figuring out how to make the dogs on their routes their friends rather than threats.
If it's the kind of neighborhood where people own pitbulls, the boxcutter is probably for self defense from thugs and/or inbreds.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 PM

BTW an invisible fence isn't a forcefield. There's nothing stopping a dog from going outside it... It's just an unpleasant vibration that is supposed to DETER them

Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW an invisible fence isn't a forcefield. There's nothing stopping a dog from going outside it... It's just an unpleasant vibration that is supposed to DETER them
Yeah, I've seen pitts get smashed in the head with a bottle can keep going. They were bred to fight through pain. They're tough as ****.

THAT'S ON PEOPLE. They bred them to kill! Hello! What do you expect. The method of attack is to clamp and hold onto the other dog trying to kill him and never give up the grip.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 PM

19,891 posts, read 36,444,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If it's the kind of neighborhood where people own pitbulls, the boxcutter is probably for self defense from thugs and/or inbreds.
Not a chance, not in Lakeway, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you describe.

And just an FYI, your prejudice is showing.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM

19,891 posts, read 36,444,799 times
Here ya go, a local report complete with video so you can see the dogs for yourself.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Pitbulls should be outlawed.

They were specifically bred to kill and do an excellent job at it.

But, like guns, the pitbull has become a symbol of being "someone".

The pitbull is the CHEAPEST status symbol available.

Can't afford a fancy car? Get a pitbull.
Dog bites are an epidemic in this country. Stricter leash laws, special exotic animal licenses needed for large breeds, and severe fines for off leash violations on alpha breeds are needed.

Data that the CDC collected in the USA between 2001 and 2003 indicated there were 4.5 million dog bite victims per year, but that figure appears to be rising.

CDC Study on dog FATALITIES
The study found reports of 327 people killed by dogs over the 20-year period. Some breed information was available for 238 (73%) of the fatalities. Of 227 incidents with relevant data, 133 (58%) were unrestrained dogs and on the owners' property; 55 (24%) were loose off the owners' property; 38 (17%) were restrained dogs on their owners’ property; and only one (less than 1%) was restrained off the owners' property.[7]

The study defined dog attacks as "a human death caused by trauma from a dog bite". Excluded from the study were deaths by disease caused by dog bites, strangulation on a scarf or leash pulled by a dog, heart attacks or traffic accident, and falling injury or fire ant bites from being pushed down by a dog. The study also excluded four deaths by trauma from dog bites by police dogs or guard dogs employed by the government.

The study found that Pit bulls and Rottweilers alone accounted for 67% of deaths, but there were also several Bullmastiffs, Boxers, Bull Terriers, Great Danes, St. Bernards, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a bulldog, and a Newfoundland.

Working dogs, however, were also frequently implicated, mostly German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers, but there were also several herders, including Australian shepherds and Collies, and one identified only as a “sheepdog”.

Spitz and Primitive dogs comprised a substantial minority, including multiple Chow Chows; native Japanese dogs (mostly Akita Inus); and sled dogs types: Huskies, Malamutes and others. One incident involved a Basenji.

Wolf–dog hybrids killed 14 people during the study period, and dogs identified only as “mixed breeds” or "unknown" killed 15.

Fatal attacks by retrievers rarely but somewhat regularly occurred, including several Labrador Retrievers and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Fatal attacks by retrievers rarely but somewhat regularly occurred, including several Labrador Retrievers and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

There were also a comparatively small number of fatal hound attacks (including a Coonhound and two Dachshunds) and terrier attacks (including two of the smallest ratters: a West Highland White Terrier and a Yorkshire Terrier, which is among the smallest of all dogs). The study also mentioned one fatal attack by a cocker spaniel.[3]

Fatal attack from cocker spaniel(one out 378) was probably to an infant left alone with a dog which is a really stupid move. That's a million to one type event. Large alpha breeds are clearly the real danger.

Again, that's an incredible amount of carnage for what's considered a "pet". To put it in perspective. Dogs kill more people that every other wild animal combined(bears, sharks, tigers, lions ect). Of course dogs are not more dangerous than a tiger, there are simply more dogs! But it does illustrate a point.

This list doesn't even include severe horrific bites where people lose limbs or get their face torn off. Dogs have a way of manipulating people's emotions like I've never seen with their "cuteness" and instinctive pack behavior. I don't hate dogs nor tigers. I just recognize them for what they are. Potentially dangerous predators that people need to be responsible when dealing with. I'd rather someone next door have a mountain lion that they always kept contained then an off leash bull mastiff.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,532,402 times
We need knife control legislation now, and a ban on all UPS drivers being allowed to breed, with the eventual goal of eliminating all ups drivers! No one should be allowed to have a package delivered by a UPS guy with a box cutter. It is simply dangerous and irresponsible in our modern society. Beside, it is mostly thugs that use UPS delivery services as some sort of compensation for a small winkie.

And before you all attack me as having an ill informed opinion, I realize that an occasional knifing of a pit bull by a USPS delivery man, and even (although more rare) a FedEx guy does happen, however, those delivery guys were not bred specifically for delivering packages as part of "logistics" and so they don't pose nearly the same threat!

Yeah, the thought process is just as stupid as the anti-pit bull fanatics...

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not a chance, not in Lakeway, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you describe.

And just an FYI, your prejudice is showing.
I'm not prejudiced, some of my best friends are pitbull owners

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM

4,582 posts, read 6,156,663 times
Take the emotions out of the situation. Person is delivering a package. Two dogs show up? What do you do and what is your mindset. Remember that dog whisperer got bit and he's a pro with dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events