U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM

141 posts, read 94,197 times

Advertisements

I've been attacked, charged at by dogs without provocation. Never once been charged or attacked by a cat, a goat, a horse, a pig. I used to walk by a farm all the time. The cows were really cool. No aggression. Geroge clooney used to have a pig. I wish america would rethink their pet choices and at least choose smaller/less powerful dogs so if an attack happens you don't get torn to shreds or killed.

I'd rather run into a pitbull than a bullmastif....my god what a powerful predator. Why someone would think you can just let something like that run loose is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,529,726 times
When I was doing ag construction I always carried a big wrench with me as I went into farms. One farmer remarked that he wondered how I was doing my job as his dog was pretty territorial and the dog was staying away from me. Simple, I hit him when he attacked me getting out of my truck. Didn't bother me after that. Now I have dogs listed on my medicalert
braclet and I carry a gun. Any dog that gets within 10 ft of me will die as he is threatening my life. Dogs that drag their owners along will be warned. Idiot owners that let their dogs run loose will either lose their dogs or if they fuss will be sued for allowing their animals to threaten my life. The idiot dog owner that told his dog to make friends with me after I warned him off lost his dog and his talk with the police.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Take the emotions out of the situation. Person is delivering a package. Two dogs show up? What do you do and what is your mindset. Remember that dog whisperer got bit and he's a pro with dogs.
yeah I love when he says dogs are "predictable" and then when he gets attacked by that ferocious lab he says "I didn't see that coming"
Here's the video of the attack. Lucky it was a lab and not something larger/more powerful or he might not have a hand. He's been bit multiple times on that show and he's an expert. Enough said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM

Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,153,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Pitbulls should be outlawed.

They were specifically bred to kill and do an excellent job at it.

But, like guns, the pitbull has become a symbol of being "someone".

The pitbull is the CHEAPEST status symbol available.

Can't afford a fancy car? Get a pitbull.
http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/1979-199...attacks-us.pdf

"However, breeds responsible for human
DBRF have varied over time. Pinckney and Kennedy13
studied human DBRF from May 1975 through April
1980 and listed the following breeds as responsible for
the indicated number of deaths: German Shepherd Dog
(n = 16); Husky-type dog (9); Saint Bernard (8); Bull
Terrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute (5); Golden
Retriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); Doberman
Pinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler (1); Basenji (1);
Chow Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); Yorkshire
Terrier (1); and mixed and unknown breed (15). As
ascertained from our data, between 1979 and 1980,
Great Danes caused the most reported human DBRF;
between 1997 and 1998, Rottweilers and pit bull-type
dogs were responsible for about 60% of human DBRF.
Indeed, since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30
breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people,
including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a
Labrador Retriever
."

Approximately 40,000 people are bitten by cats in the United States every year.

Read more: 10 fascinating facts about cats: Cat bites are dangerous | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Bite injuries account for about 1 percent of emergency room admissions in the United States and Canada, with human bites ranked third after dog and cat bites respectively.

Read more: Human Bite Infections: Information from Answers.com

Put them ALL down dogs, cats, and most of all . . . the humans.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Approximately 40,000 people are bitten by cats in the United States every year.

Read more: 10 fascinating facts about cats: Cat bites are dangerous | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Bite injuries account for about 1 percent of emergency room admissions in the United States and Canada, with human bites ranked third after dog and cat bites respectively.

Read more: Human Bite Infections: Information from Answers.com

Put them ALL down dogs, cats, and most of all . . . the humans.
4.5 million dog bites per year.

Cat almost never bite strangers who ignore them. Almost unheard of unless cat is rabid. Almost all cat bites are out of fear. Not aggressive offensive bites. Cat warns you before by hissing and baring teeth and you still try to pick him up. Almost alway a minor bite compared to pit bull attacks. Don't hear about people losing limbs. It's like comparing a cat scratch to a american bulldog really sinking his teeth into you like this. Loss of limb would be possibility in an attack like that without a bite guard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0fIwPnjCI

I've had a package delivery job. NEVER EVER been harassed or attacked by a cat. There was a problem dog on every single route. Almost every single guy had been bitten by a dog before. None bitten by a cat EVER. Unheard of. Cats are NOT territorial.

Cat fatalities? How many people killed by HOUSE cats?(not cougars...pet cats)

Also, do you think there's a difference between getting attacked by a barely 20 pound cat and 130 pound bull mastiff? LOL

Pit bulls kill cats for sport. Enough said.

Your last sentence shows you as the type that values dogs over people. A typical dog owner who says I like dogs better than people. You value a dog over a person.

And really what's your point? That animals can bite? Exactly, which is why people are responsible for containing/leashing them. Especially large dogs that can do a lot of damage. All bites by all predators can get infected. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Rabbits can bite too...so no difference between a rabbit and a pitbull.(sarcasm) Make sure you leash your rabbit LOL

Maybe....just maybe a slight difference in results of attack? Just maybe one is more dangerous. hmmmm

Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
I know a child who has a permanent scar on his face from a Golden Lab.

It's taken two years and plastic surgery and still it's ugly and upsets him - he's 12.

If a golden lab can do that much damage on a good day, what can a lock jaw beast do on a bad day?

People who support these killing machines - fine - but you should also give away your "rights" to have a child, or walk your dog in public and they should also be forced to store them properly by LAW.

Much like guns.

You can own it, and love it, but the very second it hurts someone else, you're liable.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I know a child who has a permanent scar on his face from a Golden Lab.

It's taken two years and plastic surgery and still it's ugly and upsets him - he's 12.

If a golden lab can do that much damage on a good day, what can a lock jaw beast do on a bad day?

People who support these killing machines - fine - but you should also give away your "rights" to have a child, or walk your dog in public and they should also be forced to store them properly by LAW.

Much like guns.

You can own it, and love it, but the very second it hurts someone else, you're liable.
Well said.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,873,542 times
Quote:
Pitbulls should be outlawed.

They were specifically bred to kill and do an excellent job at it.

But, like guns, the pitbull has become a symbol of being "someone".

The pitbull is the CHEAPEST status symbol available.

Can't afford a fancy car? Get a pitbull.
These dogs were NOT pits.

Good grief. It was a great Dane and some kind of mastiff. Get your facts straight, OP.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
I live out in the county where there are leash laws however majority of the people dont obey them. The police also give the ppl out here a bit of leeway because of it being the county. That being said, i cant even walk down the street without being chased, harassed, intimidated, or attacked by people who let their dogs run unleashed or untethered in the yard. Theres hardly ever any pedestrians so people think that theres no harm in letting their dog remain outside while they go to work or to the store. That isnt being a responsible pet owner. Your dog may be loving to you and lick you all over but that doesnt mean its going to do the same to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events