U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324

Advertisements

How many people have seen dog owners flagrantly violating dog leash laws and have ZERO control over their animal?

Chasing the dog all over the park yelling it's name and the dog comes when it feels like it.

Well, it's an animal and unpredictable. What if it decides to bite/target someone? Of course dog owners will blame EVERYONE else, but themselves. The victim "moved wrong" ect. ect. Hell, you can't even defend yourself now. It's "animal cruelty". What a complete joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324
Another thing I notice is how in denial people are when the do have an aggressive dog. I've run into labs that view everyone as a friend. They will lick the mailman or anyone else that comes onto the property. Sweetest thing ever. Then you have the dogs like cesar was dealing with that are vicious as can be. Not all dogs are nice. Some are mean nasty bullies that will attack you without provocation. Of course common sense would tell you results of attack are directly proportional to dog size and strength. Some breeds like american bulldogs/pit bulls ect. also have bigger heads, which make their bites WAY more powerful than what their size would suggest. Bigger head/shorter jaw length = more leverage and tremendous bite strength per square inch. They've done studies on this using a bite guard that measures bite force! They also have tremendous strength/muscles in their neck for ripping you apart like a shark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Reputation: 5358
Lots of stupid in this thread. If the dogs charged him when he was not on private property, he was in the right. If he went hunting the dogs, he was in the wrong. If he had to walk up to a front door to deliver the packages and the dogs had access to that area, he should have thrown the package at the house with a note that the owner was an idiot for leaving the dogs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:14 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324
I compare someone who doesn't dominate and control their dog to someone who just lets a 10 year old loose on the street with NO RULES. Bad things will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
 
Location: oHIo
613 posts, read 569,748 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post

The fact remains a dog can never be a pack leader with humans. That's a sick situation to be in. Can the dog drive? Does it hunt for it's food? Do you ask your dog when YOU can eat? Do you only leave when your dog allows you? Does your dog tell you where to go at all times? You end up with chaos in the dogs mind since you've given him pack authority, but don't listen to him. This creates an UNSTABLE dog. The exact kind that can go on a rampage and release all the pent up anxiety.
Actually, there ARE dogs who can drive Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk&feature=kp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM
 
Location: oHIo
613 posts, read 569,748 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Another thing I notice is how in denial people are when the do have an aggressive dog. I've run into labs that view everyone as a friend. They will lick the mailman or anyone else that comes onto the property. Sweetest thing ever. Then you have the dogs like cesar was dealing with that are vicious as can be. Not all dogs are nice. Some are mean nasty bullies that will attack you without provocation. Of course common sense would tell you results of attack are directly proportional to dog size and strength. Some breeds like american bulldogs/pit bulls ect. also have bigger heads, which make their bites WAY more powerful than what their size would suggest. Bigger head/shorter jaw length = more leverage and tremendous bite strength per square inch. They've done studies on this using a bite guard that measures bite force! They also have tremendous strength/muscles in their neck for ripping you apart like a shark.
My family had a wonderful black Lab when I was a wee one. He loved his family very much, I used to crawl in his doghouse and take a nap with him. We lived far out in the country and he was allowed to run loose (it was the 60's)

We were out one evening when one of my Dad's friends dropped in. He was on the porch, and turned to leave when he realized no one was home. Our Pepper was right at the steps. The man had met the dog before and said hi to the dog, the dog wagged his tail. The guy made a move to go down the steps and Pepper growled at him. The guy tried to "nice doggie" him again, and Pepper wagged his tail. But every time he tried to get to his car, the dog blocked his way and growled.

The poor guy was stuck on our porch for several hours until we came home. THAT is the kind of protection you want from a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM
 
2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Your last sentence shows you as the type that values dogs over people. A typical dog owner who says I like dogs better than people. You value a dog over a person.

And really what's your point? That animals can bite? Exactly, which is why people are responsible for containing/leashing them. Especially large dogs that can do a lot of damage. All bites by all predators can get infected. Thanks.
lizardtastic - we are on the same side of this issue. I have 4 cats. I was being sarcastic. I was responding to cindersslipper's remark about banning pitbulls because they bite. My point was, all animals can bite, including humans.

People need to assume that their animals will be protective, and take proper measures to ensure their animals don't bite. I would never want a person to get hurt because of my animal, nor would I risk my animals being confiscated and/or euthanized because of my oversight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Wait, so we should probably outlaw Golden Labs too!

The statement "lock jaw beast" and "killing machines" tells me you have a mind like concrete; all mixed up and permanently set. Please present facts, not stupid emotionally charged statements that are completely untrue.
WATCH THIS
Mastiff doing bite training: Again bred for protection. Guys HITTING THE DOG with a mental trash can and the dog is not letting go. The guy would have no arm left without the bite sleeve likely from an attack like that.

Working Mastiff - Killian - YouTube

Oh you want some facts?

Which dog has the highest bite force in the world_ It comes down to the larger domestic dogs. - YouTube - YouTube

BIGGER HEAD = BIGGER BITE

Mastiff has bite force of 557 pounds per square inch
Rottwilers have 328 pounds per square inch
Pittbull 235 pounds per square inch
German shephard 238 pounds

Again every test is different because of different sized dogs within the breed itself.

Wolf bite test MEASURED(407 pounds...defensive bite)

Wolf Bite! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
lizardtastic - we are on the same side of this issue. I have 4 cats. I was being sarcastic. I was responding to cindersslipper's remark about banning pitbulls because they bite. My point was, all animals can bite, including humans.

People need to assume that their animals will be protective, and take proper measures to ensure their animals don't bite. I would never want a person to get hurt because of my animal, nor would I risk my animals being confiscated and/or euthanized because of my oversight.
Oh ok, no problem I can't tell voice inflection on here! And there's some real crazies on here and I didn't even look who posted it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
 
141 posts, read 94,180 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
My family had a wonderful black Lab when I was a wee one. He loved his family very much, I used to crawl in his doghouse and take a nap with him. We lived far out in the country and he was allowed to run loose (it was the 60's)

We were out one evening when one of my Dad's friends dropped in. He was on the porch, and turned to leave when he realized no one was home. Our Pepper was right at the steps. The man had met the dog before and said hi to the dog, the dog wagged his tail. The guy made a move to go down the steps and Pepper growled at him. The guy tried to "nice doggie" him again, and Pepper wagged his tail. But every time he tried to get to his car, the dog blocked his way and growled.

The poor guy was stuck on our porch for several hours until we came home. THAT is the kind of protection you want from a dog.
Honestly, protection from dogs is over rated. If some maniac wants to come in to your house and is armed with a GUN, what use is the dog? DOG VS GUN = NO MATCH. One shot and the dog is down. Dogs deter theft because the thief(usually a teenager or druggy) can't be bothered, but not someone who wants to kill/rape you.(maniac stalker/ex bf) Of course you can always get a tiger....no one will come into your house then. But you're more likely to eaten by the tiger than an intruder killing you. In fact your husband is more likely to kill you than an intruder!

99% of the time people getting attacked viciously by dogs are not intruders, but the mail man, innocent kids walking by ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top