Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I think its strange to have the inclination to believe that the UPS guy just was in the mood to start slashing some innocent dogs.
Really? Did I actually say that? Let me check.....nope, I didn't say that. And I'll add that I think its strange that you & others don't believe that people do go around abusing animals for no reason. Do you not read the news at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Yeah...really and on top of it, while ON the job. And he chooses two pit bulls? Animal abusers are cowards and usually choose the easiest target, like a spaniel or pug or a cat.(dog fighting stuff is in a different category. Don't confuse that with your average animal abuser who cuts heads off of cats/rabbits/small dogs to get his rocks off).
If he had cut up a yorkie with a box cutter, I'd have an issue. A pitt bull has MAN KILLING power. How many people have these dogs killed and all he uses is a box cutter? If I was armed, I would have wanted a gun. Forget going after the dog with nothing but a box cutter.

I really don't see a uniformed ups driver chasing two pitt bulls around a yard in broad daylight trying to cut them up with a box cutter for ****s and giggles. In fact, it's completely laughable.
You need to relax.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM

141 posts, read 116,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You need to relax.
Honestly, HORRIFIC reporting. I think they were trying to make national headlines with a b.s. story and make it seem like an animal abuse case rather than what it clearly was which was a self defence against charging territorial dogs case. Very vague with details. Was the driver injured? He managed to slice up two pitties with nothing but a box cutter and never got bit? Where was the drivers statement of what happened? WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY. Did they even reach out to the driver for an interview or just interview the dog owner who of course thinks of the dogs has her babies who could never hurt anyone! All the while, she's the idiot who can't keep her dogs contained properly and total blame is on her.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
If I had pitties in my yard, I would have a sign warning people about the dogs. I would also have a portable doorbell at the entrance to the yard, so that I could call the dogs in if I had guests. Otherwise, I'd have my packages delivered at work. Why? Because I love my animals and respect their desire to protect me.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
If I had pitties in my yard, I would have a sign warning people about the dogs. I would also have a portable doorbell at the entrance to the yard, so that I could call the dogs in if I had guests. Otherwise, I'd have my packages delivered at work. Why? Because I love my animals and respect their desire to protect me.
Exactly. RESPONSIBLE dog owner. Common sense.

DOGS ARE TERRITORIAL! HELLO PEOPLE! It's instinct.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
My question is, if the dogs were in their yard and he was delivering a package, why did he even have a box cutter with him going to the house?

I've seen other reports on this and apparently the invisible fence allows the dogs to come into the front yard to a certain point, which they did, and he got scared and cut them. But again, why was he carrying a box cutter to deliver the package to the door in the first place?

lizardtastic, you appear to have issues with either dogs or with a specific breed(race?) of dog, or both.

UPS delivers out here to the farm, where we have three dogs, two heelers and a Pyrenees/Lab cross. All go barking to meet the truck. Why? Because they know the UPS guy has dog cookies for them. However, they LOOK threatening - it's their job. The propane guy, a man who looks to be in his 70's, delivers, and while my eldest Heeler is extremely cautious of everybody and I've had people who didn't know him who drove all the way up the drive to try to sell me something not get out of their car because they were afraid he might bite (something that, being often out here by myself and 5'2" and in my sixties, I don't mind them being concerned about until I know who they are), he runs to the truck when this guy arrives, and the guy gets out and says, "Where's your ball?" and plays ball with him while the propane tank fills. I'm sure both men have pepper spray or mace or something with them if needed, but they've made a point of figuring out how to make the dogs on their routes their friends rather than threats.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My question is, if the dogs were in their yard and he was delivering a package, why did he even have a box cutter with him going to the house?
Probably because he'd been there before.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
and the mail carrier who used to deliver to my house did the same thing..... always had cookies or biscuits for dogs on her route.....

IMO ... there is not enough information in that report.... but unless the driver was brand new on that route, he had to have known there were dogs in that yard.... There is no legal requirement he deliver the package, just as a letter carrier is not required to deliver mail to a box that is not accessible due to threatening dogs....

I would like to hear the ENTIRE story and then make my judgment.... but we know how unlikely that is....

and like others, I have to wonder why he would be carrying a box cutter on a delivery stop?? If he knew the dogs were in the yard and felt THAT threatened by them, he should never have gotten out of his truck....

Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I've seen other reports on this and apparently the invisible fence allows the dogs to come into the front yard to a certain point, which they did, and he got scared and cut them. But again, why was he carrying a box cutter to deliver the package to the door in the first place?

lizardtastic, you appear to have issues with either dogs or with a specific breed(race?) of dog, or both.

UPS delivers out here to the farm, where we have three dogs, two heelers and a Pyrenees/Lab cross. All go barking to meet the truck. Why? Because they know the UPS guy has dog cookies for them. However, they LOOK threatening - it's their job. The propane guy, a man who looks to be in his 70's, delivers, and while my eldest Heeler is extremely cautious of everybody and I've had people who didn't know him who drove all the way up the drive to try to sell me something not get out of their car because they were afraid he might bite (something that, being often out here by myself and 5'2" and in my sixties, I don't mind them being concerned about until I know who they are), he runs to the truck when this guy arrives, and the guy gets out and says, "Where's your ball?" and plays ball with him while the propane tank fills. I'm sure both men have pepper spray or mace or something with them if needed, but they've made a point of figuring out how to make the dogs on their routes their friends rather than threats.
Actually my issue is with DOG OWNERS.
I'd carry a box cutter if I had a job as a delivery driver. THEY ALL GET BIT. Some horrifically scarred. Do some research. It's ridiculous how stupid people can't control/contain their dogs. 100% on the owners. DOGS ARE TERRITORIAL AND CAN BITE. It's not rocket science!

And if your dog bites someone, then you are 100% liable. I'd sue your ass. It's not their job to make friends with your dog. They're trying to do a job. Control your dog when someone is on your property. A dog is unpredictable and can bit anyone. You don't know. You should have vocal control over your dog anyway, which you don't seem to have. Why not say stop when your dog runs towards the truck? Sounds like the pack leader is not you and you don't know how to control your dogs. Sign of a dog lover who doesn't know what they're doing.

He's being paid to deliver a package, not make friends with your dog. That's not his job and dogs are unpredictable. He could make friends with 20 of the dogs on his route and for some reason the 21st dog wants to kill him.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Pitbulls should be outlawed.

They were specifically bred to kill and do an excellent job at it.

But, like guns, the pitbull has become a symbol of being "someone".

The pitbull is the CHEAPEST status symbol available.

Can't afford a fancy car? Get a pitbull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events