Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Granny Griz, the dogs in question are not pitt bulls (from the story), I think that is what has many of use scratching our heads about all the "evil pitt bulls" crap in this thread. The story said pitt bull, but they are not even remotely close to a pitt bull, bully breed, or varient; just big dogs.

On the fence, I would agree they should have a decent fence, but any more there are so many restrictions on property rights, it's entirely possible that the HOA/HOB won't allow fencing. If that's not the case, then I agree, a real fence is appropriate for any dog, but a larger breed dog especially. We need more info before we can fault the homeowner for not having a physical fence.

On the UPS guy, there is something very weird going on here in that there is no report of him being injured, the dogs sustained horrific cuts (more than a self defense slash), and UPS is considering firing him, and the police are contemplating charges. I am not arguing a delivery guy can't or shouldn't defend himself from a dog, I am just saying something is not adding up as a simple aggresive dog/defensive action in this scenario. We don't have enough information, but the actions of UPS and the cops make me very suspicious about this whole story.
What do you think about the breeding and temperament of the lowly hound???

Anyone????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Granny Griz, the dogs in question are not pitt bulls (from the story), I think that is what has many of use scratching our heads about all the "evil pitt bulls" crap in this thread. The story said pitt bull, but they are not even remotely close to a pitt bull, bully breed, or varient; just big dogs.

On the fence, I would agree they should have a decent fence, but any more there are so many restrictions on property rights, it's entirely possible that the HOA/HOB won't allow fencing. If that's not the case, then I agree, a real fence is appropriate for any dog, but a larger breed dog especially. We need more info before we can fault the homeowner for not having a physical fence.

On the UPS guy, there is something very weird going on here in that there is no report of him being injured, the dogs sustained horrific cuts (more than a self defense slash), and UPS is considering firing him, and the police are contemplating charges. I am not arguing a delivery guy can't or shouldn't defend himself from a dog, I am just saying something is not adding up as a simple aggresive dog/defensive action in this scenario. We don't have enough information, but the actions of UPS and the cops make me very suspicious about this whole story.
What's weird is the dogs were out of the yard, beyond the fence. Are you saying the UPS guy first dragged the large dogs over the electric fence and then proceeded to cut them up together? That seems equally strange to me.
It's a weird story, and the way that lady has her dog on the couch tells me who's dominant in her home. It's not her in a dogs world. You should never allow a dog to take over the couch, or bed, I do know that much. Every dog trainer I've talked to in the past stated that right away. Also, why would she say he shouldn't have rang the doorbell. Is the UPS guy her personal servant? She's flaky.

I'd love to talk to all her neighbors and see if they have any info on the dogs being aggressive or not. It could be a psycho UPS guy but again, it could be aggressive dogs protecting the home.

Any who, in AZ the dogs would be shot in a second for attacking anyone. At least those dogs lived through it. We carry guns out here and aggressive dogs are indeed on the "ok to shoot" list.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
It is not a reputable site at all. Its a hate group with a lot of misinformation and outright lies.
What is it they hate? Kids getting their faces removed from dogs? Come on, you do realize dog attacks are something people would hate aren't you?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Some of the people are out to lunch on here. Here's a basic article on dog training
Alpha Dog, Pack Leader, Dog Growling, Dog Bitting, Dog Snapping, Snappy Dog

Seeing your dog as human child that needs babying is incredibly dangerous and doesn't make a dog feel happy, but insecure and anxious. They have a very different psychology than a human being. "When a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, or touching you in some way, this is not your dog loving you, it is your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you is not only disrespecting you, it is being the alpha dog. "

It's amazing how many dog owners not only project emotions onto their dogs that don't exist, but also really have no clue how to communicate with their dog or understand him. No clue at all.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM

159 posts, read 169,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
A hate group is directed at people, not dogs. Dogs are not people.

Name them and quote direct statistics that are falsified. Again a quick google search will show you the amount of dog fatalities independent of that site. The CDC is in cahoots with that site as well? HAHA

Centers for disease control.
The CDC stance is that is no one breed is more vicious than another. and that there is no accurate way to determine which breed of dog is more likely to bite.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
How do you know that it wasn't a prolonged struggle. Also, one or two long slashes take 2 seconds. It would cause an enormous long gash in any animal. If he wanted to kill animal he could easily have slashed the throat and that would be the end of the dog. Especially if he was holding down the dog like others with no evidence at all have stated.
I stated the obvious, something doesn't add up about the event based on the UPS and Police response. I did not make any other assertions. I don't claim to know any more than that about what happened in this particular incedent.

And again, the dogs in this story were not Pitt Bulls, or any possibly connected mix of Pitt Bulls - I find that fact very telling about the folks that want all types of restrictions on Pitt bulls that have posted in this thread.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What is it they hate? Kids getting their faces removed from dogs? Come on, you do realize dog attacks are something people would hate aren't you?

I think any dog that attacks a child should be put down and the owner held responsible. I don't blame all dogs or a certain breed for what one dog does.
There are people that attack people, It doesn't make me hate people.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
The CDC stance is that is no one breed is more vicious than another. and that there is no accurate way to determine which breed of dog is more likely to bite.
That is correct....ALL dogs need to be treated and loved with safety in mind.

My mother in law had bone cancer....what killed her was tripping over her little dog that just would not stay out from under her feet.....her back broke in seven places.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Some of the people are out to lunch on here. Here's a basic article on dog training
Alpha Dog, Pack Leader, Dog Growling, Dog Bitting, Dog Snapping, Snappy Dog

Seeing your dog as human child that needs babying is incredibly dangerous and doesn't make a dog feel happy, but insecure and anxious. They have a very different psychology than a human being. "When a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, or touching you in some way, this is not your dog loving you, it is your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you is not only disrespecting you, it is being the alpha dog. "

It's amazing how many dog owners not only project emotions onto their dogs that don't exist, but also really have no clue how to communicate with their dog or understand him. No clue at all.
All that Alpha stuff has been debunked for a long time now.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
mikelizard860, are you any relation to lizardtastic? Given the similarity of the names, attitudes, and posting style, I just wondered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events