U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Then perhaps we have a higher proportion of our population who commit crimes that require it. What else are we supposed to do with them?
We don't. Crime rates are lower than they were even in the 60s, 70s, 80s.

We did decide however that mental health and drug treatment programs were unnecessary, and closed up those programs. And we'd rather let private companies profit by opening up private prisons so governments can outsource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM

3,136 posts, read 3,958,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Of course, mommy...your little angel couldn't possibly be a career criminal. The same tune every time they interview a parent, spouse, child, or dry-cleaner of criminals.

Just ONCE I would love to hear some mom say "Yeah, he's a total criminal and I hope they throw the book at him."
Those moms (and aunts and grandmothers and great-grandmothers) say the same things so often, over and over, I wonder if there aren't little books for sale beside the checkout lanes at ghetto grocery stores, beside the horoscope books and baby name books - books named, maybe, "101 THINGS TO SAY WHEN YO BABY DONE BEEN ARRESTED".

The list would include, of course, "He a good boy." and "This not who he is."

Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Those moms (and aunts and grandmothers and great-grandmothers) say the same things so often, over and over, I wonder if there aren't little books for sale beside the checkout lanes at ghetto grocery stores, beside the horoscope books and baby name books - books named, maybe, "101 THINGS TO SAY WHEN YO BABY DONE BEEN ARRESTED".

The list would include, of course, "He a good boy." and "This not who he is."
My mom told me if I committed a crime to not tell her about it. She is not getting involved. LOL.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,120,652 times
I TOTALLY CALLED IT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I could actually see him getting a modelling contract at some point based on this.

Stranger/dumber things have happened.
Hot mugshot felon Jeremy Meeks' on track for modeling contracts even though he's still in jail - NY Daily News

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

I think this is good! There is a thread over in fashion about this!
Mug shot dude signed by agency

On an unrelated note, one of my classmates (on Facebook) made so many hater comments about mug shot guy, wondering why people thought he was hot. I thought it was a little ironic, as he looks like mugshot guy with brown eyes. LOL! I was thinking: do you know how many people think you are really hot because you look like this guy! Well minus the criminal record part: he went to a good college, good grad school, and likes kids. I am shocked he hasn't found the right girl yet!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My mom told me if I committed a crime to not tell her about it. She is not getting involved. LOL.
I told my kids to tell a cop " I'm not talking to you. I want my mother, and my attorney" LOL

As far as this guy getting a modelling contract, I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. We seem to live in a society that values "hot celebrities" and sports stars over anything else. It's disgusting, but this felon will probably become very rich and then commit some God-awful crime (maybe in a hotel here in Vegas) to generate more headlines.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I told my kids to tell a cop " I'm not talking to you. I want my mother, and my attorney" LOL

As far as this guy getting a modelling contract, I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. We seem to live in a society that values "hot celebrities" and sports stars over anything else. It's disgusting, but this felon will probably become very rich and then commit some God-awful crime (maybe in a hotel here in Vegas) to generate more headlines.
Not that I know the guy. But I am actually more positive. The reason a lot of people content their life of crime is because they can't make a reasonable wage legitimately. This could kickstart him on to a better path. I won't be taking him home to meet my parents....but who knows.

I'll quote myself here:
Quote:
let's be honest, being a criminal leaves you few ways to make money legitimately. Particularly family supporting wages, and many people continue their criminal lives because there are no other options. Hopefully this gives him a fresh start to make enough money to feed his family. Which could be the push that keeps him from committing more crimes.*

*It is hard enough for black men to get jobs anyway, white felons get hired more than regular black men. And black criminals have an even harder road. Two articles to peruse:
White felons get hired more: Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs
Employment gap for black men lingers well into adulthood: Why Young, Black Men Can’t Work - COLORLINES

*I have no idea if he is black or mixed or what, but he'll likely be "close enough" to have very similar outcomes to the people mentioned in this story, with some "light skin privilege mixed" in

Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,974,639 times
Just goes to show that some chicks will put anything in their mouth, no matter how diseased it is.

Its sad day in society when people like him are put on a pedastil(sp) and he'll end up dating some girl who will be shocked that she is used for a punching bag or he pro creates with her friends behind her back.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,516,881 times
Quote:
This is both ridiculous and hilarious. Police department posts mugshot, and people start drooling!

Jeremy Meeks: Women Can't Stop Ogling Mugshot Of NorCal's Hottest Felon | SF Weekly
Apparently he has been awarded a modeling contract.

Wtf is wrong with people?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

7,185 posts, read 7,520,266 times
It will never change,Women will always try to change bad boys. 5 years down the road I will be having, "I want to Get back at him sex" with these same ladies, I cant complain to much
Proceed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or