Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
So how many times have left your child in a hot car for 6 hours?
3 Kids and 1 pretty stressful job and I have not once even gotten close to leaving my kids in the car.
Please reread my post and you will see we that agree
If the breaking news is true I stand by my statement of throwing the book at him.
I don't have any children, and wasn't arguing whether or not he screwed up - he did, and will be paying for this mistake forever, even if he never sees the inside of a prison cell. I was only questioning your statement that "in this day & age there's no reason," as I don't see how being 2014 makes any difference here. Actually, I also said (as did a few others) that it was MORE difficult for this to happen in the '70s-80s, before kids were all restrained in the back seats.

Another point I just thought of (possibly already mentioned in the thread), cars prior to the '90s generally had manually-operated windows & door locks. So if the child was old enough to think of it, they could have rolled down a window or let themselves out. Try doing that in a modern car without the keys, especially if the child-safety locks are engaged! Safety features are mostly a good thing, but in situations like this you're more likely to survive in an old clunker.

Anyway, while I do not have kids, I am 37 years old... and in my nearly 4 decades on this planet, one thing I've learned is never to say "I'd never." I never thought I'd do a lot of things, until the first time I did. Get what I'm saying? I don't know about this particular case, but we have all made a few terrible mistakes in our lives, some of which can end tragically.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-27-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
Father Charged With Murder for Leaving Son in Hot Car for Seven Hours

awful scenario all around, unless it was intentional (awful still but different)

how do you forget another human is within 2 feet of you
If you decide to bring another human into this world, that kid should be your everything and every waking moment you have to make sure that someone who can't fend for themself is taken care of...you put that child way before yourself.....this stuff makes no sense to me that someone could forget their kid when that baby should never be out of your thoughts at any point, this is incredible to me how something like this could happen on accident.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Being a child of the 70's, I don't remember people leaving their kids in the car to die as much as I see it now a days.
In this day and age there should no reason to leave your kid in the car for 2-6 hours
Throw the book at Him/Her

I part of the reason is that back then is that infant car seats were not restricted to the back. Amazing, that during an era with less bureaucratic-paranoid regulations that there were less tragedies of this sort.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
I'd be very curious to know if any sedatives were found in the toddler's system. There was an old Law & Order show where the parent sedated the child and purposefully left him in the car to die.

If it's a work parking lot, weren't people walking by the car? Or did he park when most people had already gone in, or park away from other cars?

An awful situation, all around.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
According the article cited above, witnesses to his resuscitation efforts all reported strange behavior. Seems he flipped between what appeared to be over-the-top acting and calmer periods of watching to see who the police were interviewing. Odd.

Also odd were reports that he kept saying he'd killed his child, killed his son. No reports about him saying Cooper.

Then there was the whole deal about not going to the child care center to pick him up after work, but rather driving to a busy parking lot. What's with that?

The internet search for how long it takes animals to die of overheating...

None of this adds up to an unfortunate accident.

Wonder what an honest reaction to such a scenario would be like?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

If it's a work parking lot, weren't people walking by the car? Or did he park when most people had already gone in, or park away from other cars?
I wondered that myself, no one noticed a kid in the car?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
According the article cited above, witnesses to his resuscitation efforts all reported strange behavior. Seems he flipped between what appeared to be over-the-top acting and calmer periods of watching to see who the police were interviewing. Odd.

Also odd were reports that he kept saying he'd killed his child, killed his son. No reports about him saying Cooper.

Then there was the whole deal about not going to the child care center to pick him up after work, but rather driving to a busy parking lot. What's with that?

The internet search for how long it takes animals to die of overheating...

None of this adds up to an unfortunate accident.

Wonder what an honest reaction to such a scenario would be like?

Reportedly he never told police that he went back to his car at lunch until they confronted him with it. If they have video evidence of that or some sort of electric record kept by the car, that would be pretty damning.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,185 times
i think searching how long it takes to kill and animal in a car is pretty damning. does the family even own a animal (besides the POS father?)

Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I wondered that myself, no one noticed a kid in the car?
I don't know. If you parked next to a sedan with a kid or a dog in it, you'd probably see it, but an SUV/minivan with tinted windows? Or if you were just walking down a row of cars? Unless you were specifically looking for something you probably wouldn't notice a thing.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You can't possibly so how this man could have intentionally killed his child? I even thought the original article seemed suspicious. He forgot to drop off AND pick up his 2 year old up from his work's on site daycare? This was a two year old (or 22 month old, but close to 2) that he had probably been taking to and picking up from daycare for a while now.

It takes him a good ten minutes after he's left work to even look in his rear view mirror and notice the car seat (which was rear facing) and he just so happens to be driving by an extremely busy shopping center at the time? If I realized my child was in distress in the back of my car, I would pull off the road right then and there. I wouldn't wait to make the next turn and then wait till I came up to a parking lot. But no, he goes to a busy shopping center where there would be lots of witnesses. I've picked up my SO from work earlier before around 4, and there is no one in their parking garage. This guy didn't want to "discover his son at work, because there wouldn't be any witnesses. So he drives someplace where he knows there will be plenty of witnesses on a sunny Wednesday afternoon.

And now that more has come out, I don't see how its unimaginable that the man did this. He just took the child to breakfast a mile away from his work. So he remembers his son most of the way to work, since he remembered to get him breakfast, but somehow during the last mile or so he suddenly forgets that he JUST ate breakfast with this child and strapped him in his car seat? Then he goes to his car during his lunch break? Doesn't notice his son there? And its been said that he looked up on his work computer how long it takes an animal to die from overheating in a car? Who looks that type of stuff up?
Like I said, the ORIGINAL article posted said NONE of this, just that he forgot to drop off his son and then when he left work realized he hadn't picked up his son THEN realized his son was in the car, that's it. From that information ALONE I couldn't see, but now that I've read multiple articles it's a different story.

The first article was just terrible and made it seem like a total accident when apparently it wasn't. I had to read through three articles to get bits and pieces of all you have said here...

I can't believe someone would kill their own child (I know it happens), how disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events