U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 01:27 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,257,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Like I said, the ORIGINAL article posted said NONE of this, just that he forgot to drop off his son and then when he left work realized he hadn't picked up his son THEN realized his son was in the car, that's it. From that information ALONE I couldn't see, but now that I've read multiple articles it's a different story.

The first article was just terrible and made it seem like a total accident when apparently it wasn't. I had to read through three articles to get bits and pieces of all you have said here...

I can't believe someone would kill their own child (I know it happens), how disgusting.

How does someone do this to their spouse or own flesh and blood Heck my wife drives me crazy, but kill her no way, divorce sounds like a relief, at times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 AM

28,801 posts, read 2,374,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know. If you parked next to a sedan with a kid or a dog in it, you'd probably see it, but an SUV/minivan with tinted windows? Or if you were just walking down a row of cars? Unless you were specifically looking for something you probably wouldn't notice a thing.

You made good points. I am someone who tends to notice an animal or person (whatever the age) in parked vehicles. From now on I will be even more nosey. When walking in parking lots we can look in through the windshield (since it isn't as tinted as the other windows) in vehicles we see child car seats in. You never know.

Last edited by geebabe; 06-28-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 AM

85,057 posts, read 99,087,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I part of the reason is that back then is that infant car seats were not restricted to the back. Amazing, that during an era with less bureaucratic-paranoid regulations that there were less tragedies of this sort.
It's been recommended to have the car seat in back ever since they came out in the early 80s or so.

I really don't think it's car seat laws that are the issue here. Car seats do save lives.

As for the people advocating for sensors and the like, read the article from the WaPo. And it's possible a sensor wouldn't even pick up that a tiny baby was even in the car seat.

I just heard a story on my TV news a few days ago where a mom said she always put her shoes in the back seat of the car so she'd remember the baby. I was thinking that if she drove with flip-flops on, she might just walk into the office without changing her shoes, but once she got there and looked at her feet, she'd probably remember the baby.

Anyway, thankfully I got through two kids w/o doing this, though a couple of times at Christmas I left my purse, but not my kid(s) somewhere.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 AM

33,097 posts, read 12,635,493 times
Love the shoes idea.

Still wondering what a normal reaction would be. Would he be inconsolable, perhaps refusing to let go? Would say Cooper instead of "my son?" Would his affect be flat, unable to grasp what had just happened?

Videos of people getting news that loved ones have perished in a plane crash seem to involve a lot of grabbing of stomachs while they let out strangled wails.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:57 PM

11,169 posts, read 6,651,813 times
He told the police he had searched information because he was fearful of it happening to him. You would think that someone who knew this was a possibility would be overly cautious.. Yet somehow he forget his son is in the car after getting him breakfast a mile away from work? A lot of people in the comments seem to believe the guys story, and don't think he should be in jail. But his story just doesn't seem to make very much sense....

Justin Ross Harris told police he researched child vehicle deaths because he was 'fearful' it could happen | AL.com

Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, now that it appears this is a sick act of murder, can we please step away from the debate over accidentally leaving babies in cars? Let us not 'merge' the two issues.

Justin Ross Harris internet searched how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car before his toddler son died in the same way | Mail Online
I read that story today, actually. There is no way he could have just forgot to take the baby to the sitters house to begin with. His motive is pretty much blown. That would be premeditated murder.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,990,709 times
Today the child was buried, and I have a sinking feeling the wife is in on this. When eulogizing her son, she said she did not believe her husband was guilty.

I know officials working on the case can't divulge much to the public for obvious reasons, but some of their language sounds as if they suspect her as well, such as: “I’ve been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather,” said Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce.'"

And this: "CNN spoke with the child’s mother, Leanna Harris, on Friday. Harris says she’s been advised not to discuss the case with the media.
“We have been in communication with the mother throughout the investigation. At this time, I’m not at liberty to discuss her involvement. That’s a part of the case our detectives are working on,” Pierce said.

Pierce continues, “I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m.”

Source: Dad searched how long it takes animal to die in hot car before child left in hot car | WREG.com

But I wonder what those cryptic comments mean? We don't have a timetable; we don't know when he was supposed to report to work. We don't know if anyone at Chick-Fil-A could verify that he was or wasn't there. But I wonder why "9 a.m." is significant? Could the mother have taken the child to her husband's car after he arrived, and that's why he went out during lunch time to check?

And this: "Leanna said she had felt compelled to speak in defense of her husband and remember Cooper. She told him as he listened in: 'Ross I love you, I am doing this for you okay. I should be crumpled in a heap of snot and tears into the dirt, but The Lord is holding me up...he is holding Ross up.'"

Father who left toddler to die in sweltering SUV uses his one phone call from prison to dial into the boy's funeral as his wife defends him as a 'wonderful daddy' | Mail Online

"Snot and tears?" Unusual choice of words. Wonder if she cried? It wasn't reported.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Today the child was buried, and I have a sinking feeling the wife is in on this. When eulogizing her son, she said she did not believe her husband was guilty.

I know officials working on the case can't divulge much to the public for obvious reasons, but some of their language sounds as if they suspect her as well, such as: “I’ve been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather,” said Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce.'"

And this: "CNN spoke with the child’s mother, Leanna Harris, on Friday. Harris says she’s been advised not to discuss the case with the media.
“We have been in communication with the mother throughout the investigation. At this time, I’m not at liberty to discuss her involvement. That’s a part of the case our detectives are working on,” Pierce said.

Pierce continues, “I cannot confirm that the child, as originally reported, was in the car at 9 a.m.”

Source: Dad searched how long it takes animal to die in hot car before child left in hot car | WREG.com

But I wonder what those cryptic comments mean? We don't have a timetable; we don't know when he was supposed to report to work. We don't know if anyone at Chick-Fil-A could verify that he was or wasn't there. But I wonder why "9 a.m." is significant? Could the mother have taken the child to her husband's car after he arrived, and that's why he went out during lunch time to check?

And this: "Leanna said she had felt compelled to speak in defense of her husband and remember Cooper. She told him as he listened in: 'Ross I love you, I am doing this for you okay. I should be crumpled in a heap of snot and tears into the dirt, but The Lord is holding me up...he is holding Ross up.'"

Father who left toddler to die in sweltering SUV uses his one phone call from prison to dial into the boy's funeral as his wife defends him as a 'wonderful daddy' | Mail Online

"Snot and tears?" Unusual choice of words. Wonder if she cried? It wasn't reported.
If you want to get technical about it-- why would he drive to lunch, when the baby was probably already passed at that point? Was the baby not suppose to die before lunch and was lunch a different issue than lunch? He very well could have had an appointment with someone for lunch but perhaps the baby was not to have already passed? This will be a time factor on the baby's death.

What complete idiot would do this? There had to be a connection at Chick-Fil-A. It sounds like a meeting. Authorities will probably try to retrieve the cameras from Chick-Fil-A.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 PM

11,169 posts, read 6,651,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Could the mother have taken the child to her husband's car after he arrived, and that's why he went out during lunch time to check?
If that was the case, she would have been arrested by now. They know he went out to his car at lunch because they reviewed security footage, they would have reviewed the footage from the time he pulled into the parking lot until the time he left.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,249,164 times
Very interesting speculation. If the mother is involved I just don't know what to think. What could compel parents to do this to their baby? I cannot wrap my head around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events