U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,799,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
I dont recall mentioning phone usage in my comment...?
its not only being on the phone, but also being preoccupied with job stress, family stress, etc.

like i said, i do not condone his actions, im not saying what he did was okay. but i know you people are not 100% perfect. god forbid you ever make a mistake.

A mistake= "Oops, I bumped into a car while backing out of my parking spot.

A mistake= "I forgot my keys and now I am locked out of my house."

A mistake= "I forgot our anniversary."

A mistake does not = "I forgot my toddler in the car for EIGHT HOURS."

That's not a mistake, that's negligent idiocy of the highest order. You don't just forget to drop your kid off at daycare and then forget he's still actually in the car and then leave him there the whole day. That isn't a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 PM

10,423 posts, read 7,508,792 times
It happened so many times while I lived in the Memphis area... in that area. Day care vans! WTH?? They're in the children business! But parents even more so. Did they have life insurance on the baby?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,161,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
I love how so many people are willing to compare forgetting a child to forgetting your keys, or lunch, etc. A child is not an inanimate object. And considering just how many people will freak out if you compare a pet to a child, its surprising always to see a child compared to an object.

Yeah its normal to be absent minded, and forgetful, and to have a million thoughts on your head, but if you aren't thinking once per hour about your child then you should really consider the life you are leading before you end up in a situation like this man.

When you supposedly love someone more than anything on earth, like your children, and you haven't thought about them in 7 hours... how much do you really "love" them? "hey I wonder what my kid is up to at daycare, etc"
Maybe its just me, but I think about the people I love every hour.
There are many parents in the United States like this. I've known many parents that would rather leave their child in daycare on a day off then pull them out and have a day with them. Yeah he cared about little billy alright... yeah right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It happened so many times while I lived in the Memphis area... in that area. Day care vans! WTH?? They're in the children business! But parents even more so. Did they have life insurance on the baby?
I know right

Old 06-21-2014, 12:36 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,142,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
A mistake does not = "I forgot my toddler in the car for EIGHT HOURS."
I'm really not trying to be judgmental, but how does one not remember for seven hours that they left their kid in the car? Surely after hour one or two the lightbulb would go off!

Additionally, I'm sure that baby was crying like crazy as the temperature escalated-- did nobody in the parking lot see or hear the child??

Either way, I feel horrible for the parents. The guilt the dad must feel and the anger the mother must feel.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,511,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I'm really not trying to be judgmental, but how does one not remember for seven hours that they left their kid in the car? Surely after hour one or two the lightbulb would go off!

Additionally, I'm sure that baby was crying like crazy as the temperature escalated-- did nobody in the parking lot see or hear the child??

Either way, I feel horrible for the parents. The guilt the dad must feel and the anger the mother must feel.
If your brain is telling you that you did the same thing you do every day, you have no reason to be concerned. After all, the kid is safe every day. Just like your house is locked every day, etc.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,679,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
Father Charged With Murder for Leaving Son in Hot Car for Seven Hours

awful scenario all around, unless it was intentional (awful still but different)

how do you forget another human is within 2 feet of you
Good! My gawd, how "out of it" are some people!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM

21,501 posts, read 22,749,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If your brain is telling you that you did the same thing you do every day, you have no reason to be concerned. After all, the kid is safe every day. Just like your house is locked every day, etc.
Going back to the Wash Post article, it was interesting that a couple of the experts were saying that when it comes to awareness or training or inventing products that would prevent an incident like this happening, most people act like the people on this thread: "how stupid can you be?" "I love my kids." "This could never happen to me.", etc. They think they'd never need awareness or to buy a gadget. The people it happened to probably thought it could never happen to them, either.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:54 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,942 times
If I was this man and there was a high probability of receiving a murder sentence despite it being a horrible mistake I would put a gun in my mouth and immediately end my life while out on bail awaiting trial.
The amount of extreme grief and guilt combined with a murder sentence where I would be imprisoned for the foreseeable future versus immediately leaving this earth would easily bring clarity to the decision making process.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,747,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That poor family. How does it happen? Read this article. It will break your heart, but maybe you will understand a bit better.
My heart breaks for this family. There but for the grace of God go I. I will never forget the day I forgot my dd was in the car with me. It was a hot summer day. Dh normally dropped her off at day care on his way to work but I needed to drop her off that day because he had to go in early. To go to the day care, I needed to turn right out of our sub but without thinking made my normal left (she was very quiet in the back seat in a rear facing seat). Once I made that left, I swear I was on auto pilot. She never made a peep the entire trip. I have no idea what made me look back at the car when I got out after parking but thank God I did. I saw her move her hand. For a moment I was confused as to why she was in the car. I don't get how I could completely forget that she was in the car but I did. Once I made that left, it was any normal day and in my mind dh was dropping her off to day care. I thank God I looked back and saw her move her hand.

I recommend that all parents have a teddy bear that sits in the car seat when the child isn't in the car seat and up front with you when the child is in the car seat. The human brain does not process everything we experience. It would overload if it did. It will go on auto pilot to conserve energy. Years ago, I had a 45 mile commute to work and the number of days when I pulled into the parking lot and had absolutely no recollection of having driven those 45 miles is scary. We are creatures of habit and that unfortunately can result in tragedies like this.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 AM

21,501 posts, read 22,749,241 times
Thank you for sharing that, Ivory. That must have been a terrifying day for you.

One of my coworkers said that she always puts her purse on the floor in front of the car seat so that she has to check the back seat as a matter of course. She said having a sticky purse full of cheerios is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events