U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 03:29 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,441,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Idiot on a donor cycle put HIS CHILD on same donor cycle and then speeds and doesn't bother to pay attention...and SHE deserves 20 years?

What about father of the year?
Riding a motorcycle is not a criminal act. Stopping on the highway for no legitimate reason in a fast/passing lane as if it were a parking space might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:32 PM

412 posts, read 294,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Idiot on a donor cycle put HIS CHILD on same donor cycle and then speeds and doesn't bother to pay attention...and SHE deserves 20 years?

What about father of the year?
He's already serving his sentence. Unfortunately, so is the child.

Last edited by RestArea; 12-26-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:36 PM

42,252 posts, read 49,796,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Riding a motorcycle is not a criminal act. Stopping on the highway for no legitimate reason in a fast/passing lane as if it were a parking space might be.
They would have been just as dead if she'd stopped for a legitimate reason.
His ***** poor decision making was just as much as at fault as hers.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:40 PM

412 posts, read 294,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
No intent, not murder. Perhaps you meant homicide or manslaughter?
No, I meant essentially murdered.

Did she not intend to illegally stop in the passing lane in order to "help" ducklings that she perceived as motherless? I'm not Canadian and don't know the finer points of their laws, hence the qualifier essentially.

BTW, in most places homicide is simply death at the hands of another, which may or may not be a crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide

Old 12-26-2015, 03:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,605,812 times
So why in the world did the (speeding) moron run into a stopped car?

Some serious Darwin going on here.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:55 PM

11,940 posts, read 6,571,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
No, I meant essentially murdered.

Did she not intend to illegally stop in the passing lane in order to "help" ducklings that she perceived as motherless? I'm not Canadian and don't know the finer points of their laws, hence the qualifier essentially.

BTW, in most places homicide is simply death at the hands of another, which may or may not be a crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide
Murder usually requires intent to take the life. Intending to stop her car where she did is not the same as intending to take someone's life. Most likely she was not thinking of the possible consequences.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:15 PM

1,953 posts, read 658,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
So why in the world did the (speeding) moron run into a stopped car?

Some serious Darwin going on here.
Here's a thought: Read the article before posting stupid nonsense.

He was traveling at the prevailing speed of traffic. While he was technically speeding, driving faster or slower than the prevailing speed of traffic is more dangerous than blind adherence to an arbitrary number on a sign. He ran into the stopped car because the vehicle in front of him swerved out of the way at the last second and he didn't have time to stop. He's clearly guilty of following too closely, but the court determined, rightfully so, that the car stopped IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGHWAY contributed to the accident. You sound like a great driver (not).

I suspect that if the article hadn't mentioned he was on a motorcycle, some of you wouldn't be nearly so quick to blame him. Inflammatory phrases like "donor cycle" reveal you for the petty, hateful people you are.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,605,812 times
Has nothing to do with it being a motorcycle. Just that was bound to make it all become sudden death for them.

I have had folks run into the back of my truck (while they were texting) with a car -- because traffic suddenly slowed down and stopped on highways in city (Dallas) areas.

Tailgating and/or not keeping needed distance to stop, and/or speeding, and/or not looking ahead = you are going to have a bad time.

Really just how stupid do you have to be to run into a stopped car?

Real Question.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:51 PM

16,346 posts, read 6,103,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Wondering the same thing myself. She essentially murdered two innocent people in order to "do good." She deserves 20 years.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM

42,252 posts, read 49,796,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Here's a thought: Read the article before posting stupid nonsense.

He was traveling at the prevailing speed of traffic. While he was technically speeding, driving faster or slower than the prevailing speed of traffic is more dangerous than blind adherence to an arbitrary number on a sign. He ran into the stopped car because the vehicle in front of him swerved out of the way at the last second and he didn't have time to stop. He's clearly guilty of following too closely, but the court determined, rightfully so, that the car stopped IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGHWAY contributed to the accident. You sound like a great driver (not).

I suspect that if the article hadn't mentioned he was on a motorcycle, some of you wouldn't be nearly so quick to blame him. Inflammatory phrases like "donor cycle" reveal you for the petty, hateful people you are.
So...you're saying that you don't keep an eye on the traffic around you, including the road far ahead as well as immediately in front, to the sides, and behind?

I do that in a car. I always have an escape option. Anything can happen. A sudden stop ( happened to me when someone decided to stop in a 70 mile per hour road because they were in the wrong lane for the toll booth), something falling off a truck (happens all the time), people weaving and cutting in front of you...

Things happen split second all the time on my 54 mile commute (most of which is on I35). People are effin' stupid and cell phones made it worse.

Ironically, I learned to drive hyper-aware and two steps ahead BECAUSE I have a motorcycle. So no motorcycle prejudice from me. Most deaths on those things are driver's error, and this was no exception.

This was a terrible tragedy. But prosecuting the stopped car makes no sense. It could have been stopped there for a thousand reasons and the same outcome would have come to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or