U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,361,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Wondering the same thing myself. She essentially murdered two innocent people in order to "do good." She deserves 20 years.
Well, she contributed to the death of two people. The driver of the motorcycle was hardly innocent, however. He was speeding without leaving enough distance for him to stop. While he bares majority of the blame for his and his daughter's death, it's clear that the Canadian woman played a part as well and should be punished adequately. Creating a road hazard is nothing to scoff at. But it's not the same as murdering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 07:09 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,276,393 times
"In December, Czornobaj was sentenced to 90 days in jail and 240 hours of community service. She was also banned from driving a car for 10 years.

Czornobaj’s lawyer said she would appeal the sentence as well as her conviction on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

On Friday, the Quebec Court of Appeal agreed to put her sentence on hold until the appeal case is heard.

As a result, Czornobaj does not have to report to jail Saturday morning, as originally decided by the court. She can also retain her driver’s licence"

So, not only is she appealing a slap on the wrist verdict, the worst driver of the year is still driving.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"In December, Czornobaj was sentenced to 90 days in jail and 240 hours of community service. She was also banned from driving a car for 10 years.

Czornobaj’s lawyer said she would appeal the sentence as well as her conviction on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

On Friday, the Quebec Court of Appeal agreed to put her sentence on hold until the appeal case is heard.

As a result, Czornobaj does not have to report to jail Saturday morning, as originally decided by the court. She can also retain her driver’s licence"

So, not only is she appealing a slap on the wrist verdict, the worst driver of the year is still driving.
Everything I've read indicates that this was a horrible mistake on her part. Did the court case even demonstrate that she is a repeat offender of horrific traffic violations? A single datapoint isn't enough to determine whether she was the worst driver of the year or not. It would be interesting to see the data that you're looking at.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:26 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,000,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm happy to hear that this ignorant moron is being prosecuted for taking actions that killed 2 people. It is hard to believe just how unbelievably stupid some people are. Heart goes out to the family that lost their loved ones.
I just as interested in the moron riding a motorcycle who wasn't enough of a defensive driver to note a stop car in his path. You have to leave enough room to come to a stop for whatever reason, and you have to be aware of road conditions well a head of you so that you can respond. That may not be the law but it is one of those cardinal rules when you are riding a bike.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I just as interested in the moron riding a motorcycle who wasn't enough of a defensive driver to note a stop car in his path. You have to leave enough room to come to a stop for whatever reason, and you have to be aware of road conditions well a head of you so that you can respond. That may not be the law but it is one of those cardinal rules when you are riding a bike.
I think everyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders agrees that the rider is responsible for his actions and is paying for it in an unfortunate manner. That's really not in question.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 PM

8,506 posts, read 7,656,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbiter79 View Post
Some of these comments are ridiculous. You really think you should just run over an animal because you're worried about slamming on your brakes. So just run them over? Like running full on into an adult deer or large animal couldn't cause a dangerous situation for all motorists. Nice lack of respect for wildlife for those saying they would just barrel into anything. And yes, you shouldn't put others in a dangerous situation like in this case, and exercise caution if you stop to help. I'm one of those people that does stop to help animals, but I won't endanger myself or others. I'm careful, and make sure I'm in a safe spot.
I'm glad you are careful and think about others, unlike the moron in this story.

Most of the time a deer just isn't standing in the middle of the road taking it's sweet time to cross.

Ducklings & goslings aren't especially quick and if it were me vs. a slow moving animal? The animal would lose. Each and every time.

Last month, on the street my residence is off of, someone avoided a deer that jumped out of the woods and ended up running off the road and plowing the front end of his car in to a retention pond. There are so many deer where I live, you have to be very aware. Large open fields and plenty of woods that they sprint out of all year long but especially during rut.

When I was in college I was heading back to school after coming home for a few hours to see one of my siblings off to his prom. Traveling back, on a very busy 2 lane (each way) highway during rush hour traffic, a deer ran in to my car. The divider on this highway was a grassy median and the brush/weeds were pretty high (the state has since removed all vegetation other than grass on the medians). I wasn't quite sure what the heck had hit me, but there was no stopping/slamming on the brakes to find out, not when traveling WITH traffic during rush hour.

When I got back to school I couldn't open my driver's side door. Had to get out of the car via the passenger side door. The deer hit my car between the front left quarter panel and the driver's door. Blood and fur were in the dents.

When I was 16 and taking my behind the wheel lessons to get my permit (like a previous poster), the instructor had me drive down a beautiful two lane country road. Corn fields on either side. No shoulder to speak of and a pretty deep drainage ditch between the road and the field. 18 wheeler coming at me in the opposite direction, HUGE bird - still couldn't tell you what type of bird even close to 30 years later - picking at something dead in the middle of my lane. Cars behind me. What do I do? He told me to keep driving. I ran the thing over (closed my eyes, but felt the thump/thump). I remember looking in the rearview and seeing one huge wing still flapping around. After I ran it over he said to me, "Did you see your options? There were none other than what you did".
============================================
What this woman did was moronic.

She caused the problem by stopping in the passing lane.

Her sheer stupidity is what caused the accident.

I don't understand why some think the victim should be blamed and not the moron who thought it would be a good idea to stop her car wherever she felt like it to help ducks safely cross the road?

Edited to add: Just read another article and apparently she didn't see the mommy duck, so she wanted to gather the ducklings up and bring them home with her. But they (the duckings) wanted no part of it.

And then there is this CD thread about the issue: Whats the punishment for being stupid

Last edited by Informed Info; 12-26-2015 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 10:48 PM

7,206 posts, read 2,887,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I'm glad you are careful and think about others, unlike the moron in this story.

Most of the time a deer just isn't standing in the middle of the road taking it's sweet time to cross.

Ducklings & goslings aren't especially quick and if it were me vs. a slow moving animal? The animal would lose. Each and every time.

Last month, on the street my residence is off of, someone avoided a deer that jumped out of the woods and ended up running off the road and plowing the front end of his car in to a retention pond. There are so many deer where I live, you have to be very aware. Large open fields and plenty of woods that they sprint out of all year long but especially during rut.

When I was in college I was heading back to school after coming home for a few hours to see one of my siblings off to his prom. Traveling back, on a very busy 2 lane (each way) highway during rush hour traffic, a deer ran in to my car. The divider on this highway was a grassy median and the brush/weeds were pretty high (the state has since removed all vegetation other than grass on the medians). I wasn't quite sure what the heck had hit me, but there was no stopping/slamming on the brakes to find out, not when traveling WITH traffic during rush hour.

When I got back to school I couldn't open my driver's side door. Had to get out of the car via the passenger side door. The deer hit my car between the front left quarter panel and the driver's door. Blood and fur were in the dents.

When I was 16 and taking my behind the wheel lessons to get my permit (like a previous poster), the instructor had me drive down a beautiful two lane country road. Corn fields on either side. No shoulder to speak of and a pretty deep drainage ditch between the road and the field. 18 wheeler coming at me in the opposite direction, HUGE bird - still couldn't tell you what type of bird even close to 30 years later - picking at something dead in the middle of my lane. Cars behind me. What do I do? He told me to keep driving. I ran the thing over (closed my eyes, but felt the thump/thump). I remember looking in the rearview and seeing one huge wing still flapping around. After I ran it over he said to me, "Did you see your options? There were none other than what you did".
============================================

I don't understand why some think the victim should be blamed and not the moron who thought it would be a good idea to stop her car wherever she felt like it to help ducks safely cross the road?
I agree completely. This story infuriates me. That moronic woman caused two deaths from her dumb-ass decision!

Once, I was driving down a major route with three straight lanes and a raised divider separating the left-hand-turn lanes. Some idiot woman in front of me missed her chance at getting in the left turn lane. This imbecile decides to just stop in the left-most straight lane...with her turn signal on! I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting her. If I had glanced away, blinked, or something else, I'd have plowed into her. I swear, I was furious, and I could have killed that woman with my bear hands.

The stupid duck woman should be severely punished.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,409,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I agree completely. This story infuriates me. That moronic woman caused two deaths from her dumb-ass decision!

Once, I was driving down a major route with three straight lanes and a raised divider separating the left-hand-turn lanes. Some idiot woman in front of me missed her chance at getting in the left turn lane. This imbecile decides to just stop in the left-most straight lane...with her turn signal on! I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting her. If I had glanced away, blinked, or something else, I'd have plowed into her. I swear, I was furious, and I could have killed that woman with my bear hands.

The stupid duck woman should be severely punished.
While what she did was indeed stupid; UNINTENTIONAL stupidity should not warrant severe punishment. I think the 90 day jail sentence was fair. We have to look at her offense without the bias of "it cost two lives."

The act of stopping a car to help ducks cross the road (in the way she did) was not an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death" without contributing circumstances. For example, an individual speeding at 90 mph is an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death” without any other contributing circumstance. It is also common knowledge to anyone that going that fast could easily cause death. Therefore, most people would conclude that speeding that fast is an intentional and reckless act. What this lady did on the other hand wouldn't lead most people to conclude that it would likely cause death. Therefore, the level of punishment should not be as severe as a criminal act.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

We all agree that what the woman did was moronic and was the trigger of this unfortunate accident. But we also acknowledge that there were multiple factors at play. The rider assumed responsibility by riding the bike in an illegal and hazardous manner. The risks associated with that reckless father were realized when another hazard was present on the road (the moronic lady). Ultimately, this lady is at fault for creating a hazard on the road and this victim is at fault for riding recklessly. Had the victim had simply followed the law and rode within safety constraints, he and his daughter would be alive today. There was no reason for him to take on such risk and assume there would be no hazards on the road. That assumption led to his unfortunate death.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 PM

7,206 posts, read 2,887,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
While what she did was indeed stupid; UNINTENTIONAL stupidity should not warrant severe punishment. I think the 90 day jail sentence was fair. We have to look at her offense without the bias of "it cost two lives."

The act of stopping a car to help ducks cross the road (in the way she did) was not an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death" without contributing circumstances. For example, an individual speeding at 90 mph is an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death” without any other contributing circumstance. It is also common knowledge to anyone that going that fast could easily cause death. Therefore, most people would conclude that speeding that fast is an intentional and reckless act. What this lady did on the other hand wouldn't lead most people to conclude that it would likely cause death. Therefore, the level of punishment should not be as severe as a criminal act.

What?? Coming to a dead stop in the passing lane of a highway isn't reckless? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Most reasonable people would know that stopping in the passing lane can easily cause death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or