U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 PM

11,951 posts, read 9,708,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
$25,000 fine per bird for an "accident." I'd rather try to avoid that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Max fine. Never happen. I'll mow them down all day before jamming my brakes in heavy traffic. People have less heart for transients crossing the streets getting hit. I'll avoid hitting a person before a bird.

No one is getting fined 25k for hitting a bird on accident. No one. The worst I've heard of is someone killing a canvasback duck and the fine was 1000.
Yeah, for accidentally hitting a bird, $25,000 is just unreal. I mean, geez, if it was a genuine accident (like you genuinely didn't see the bird(s)), they're seriously going to punish you that hard? No way. I don't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM

7,861 posts, read 5,425,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah, for accidentally hitting a bird, $25,000 is just unreal. I mean, geez, if it was a genuine accident (like you genuinely didn't see the bird(s)), they're seriously going to punish you that hard? No way. I don't believe it.
To be honest, though, it's rather hard to hit those birds to begin with. While they are all over the place, they are rarely seen near busy highways, and they are HUGE, so you really can't not see them from a distance. Not to mention, the damage to the vehicle and potential injury from it going through the windshield that could ensue...

Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,238,439 times
what? you know they are in Orlando 24-7 by my job we have turkeys lots of them - the others were in Clermont at my kids- the sounds scared me first time I heard them - but they hate cars- peck at them and you - in either care people over animals and would hurt NONE if possible - except I eat it or its a bug-- bees excluded!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:31 PM

7,861 posts, read 5,425,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what? you know they are in Orlando 24-7 by my job we have turkeys lots of them - the others were in Clermont at my kids- the sounds scared me first time I heard them - but they hate cars- peck at them and you - in either care people over animals and would hurt NONE if possible - except I eat it or its a bug-- bees excluded!
I did say that seeing them is pretty much a daily occurrence. However, I stand by my statement when I said they generally do not show up on major highways. I've never seen (or heard of) one on the Turnpike, I-4, 408, 429, etc. They seem to be well aware of the dangers of fast-moving cars.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 11 days ago)

17,608 posts, read 8,684,668 times
I'd attempt to get out of paying the fine by telling them the sand crane was looking very distraught before it jumped in front of my car.

Geeze, I hope I don't need to add a smiley face after that.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,591,657 times
I can imagine that someone getting hit with a $25k fine for killing a bird when an alternative would be to create a potentially life threatening situation like making a sudden stop on a busy interstate is a recipie for a big, juicy lawsuit. The government can't expect me to endanger my own life and the lives of people around me over a bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or