Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times

Advertisements

The biker was on one bike with his daughter,his wife on another bike behind, i doubt the biker was driving recklessly and was probably following the camper in front of him at a reasonable distance,None of the witnesses have said the biker was doing anything out of the ordinary.i think 2 things happened simultaneously ,the camper swerved out of the way at the last second to avoid the car at the same time the biker was distracted at the sight of the woman walking down the highway back to her car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,399,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't know about her being found criminally negligent, but I do agree--I get tired of people slamming on brakes and the like over animals. Me: I just keep on moving. You don't sling people around like crash test dummies over a cat, dog, or (yes) geese in the road. You keep on moving.
She braked, exited the car and put on a show on the side of the road as passersby watched her shooing away the ducks. She distracted a driver of a vehicle who avoided her car at the very last minute. She distracted the motorcyclist behind the other vehicle who crashed into her car because at whatever distance he was traveling behind the other vehicle that veered didn't allow him to see her car. People need to remember that animals can and always have taken care of themselves contrary to what we may want to believe. They are ingrained with the instincts to do so and in most cases do not need human assistance.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,935,141 times
During my driving test waaaay back when I was 16, a squirrel ran out in front of us, I never saw the thing, but I felt the slight bump and witnessed my instructor's reaction. He then said something to the effect of "Well that was very good!". I replied with "Huh?" He said that because I didn't brake for the squirrel, I had done the right thing, if I were to panic break, in SC law at the time, and created an accident, then I would have been at fault, and so not slowing down or stopping was correct. I didn't tell him this but it wasn't that I made that choice, but that I hadn't seen the squirrel at all lol.

Can't jump out of your car to help ducks on a busy highway... I'm sure while the verdict was being read, she was sobbing. Crying for those poor little ducks, and how she was only trying to help.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm happy to hear that this ignorant moron is being prosecuted for taking actions that killed 2 people. It is hard to believe just how unbelievably stupid some people are. Heart goes out to the family that lost their loved ones.
No. What's stupid is prosecuting this lady for the motorcyclist's mistake. He was speeding (this was presented in the case) and clearly not paying attention. NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON WAS THAT SHE WAS STOPPED (ducks, heart attack, stroke, child in the road, slurpee in the road, etc), he would have died.

The fact that in this case it was a stupid reason is irrelevant.

They are prosecuting the reason when in reality, the outcome would have been the same regardless of the reason.
I take issue with that mentality.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,397,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
...and if the inattentive motorcyclist crashed into someone who was clearly stopped BUT was checking a flat tire instead of helping animals? The worst thing the driver was guilty of, was not activating the car's emergency flashers. What happened to driving defensively and not following too closely?

This story is clickbait to declare open season on those "bleeding hearts" who dare show compassion for non-human life forms. I hope the verdict is vigorously and successfully appealed.
Agree 100%. I do not think the woman should have stopped in the travel lane of an interstate . . but what if she had stopped for a child running in front of her?

IF the motorcycle was speeding, as reports suggest, then the motorcycle driver is not without negligence himself.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:40 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,715,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
...and if the inattentive motorcyclist crashed into someone who was clearly stopped BUT was checking a flat tire instead of helping animals? The worst thing the driver was guilty of, was not activating the car's emergency flashers. What happened to driving defensively and not following too closely?

This story is clickbait to declare open season on those "bleeding hearts" who dare show compassion for non-human life forms. I hope the verdict is vigorously and successfully appealed.
If she had stopped in the breakdown lane I would agree with you, but you don't stop in the passing lane for anything. Even if you get a flat tire, you can pull to the right. I'm sure if it is a situation where you really could not physically pull over exceptions could be made. Almost nothing is absolute. That does not apply for helping ducks.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Agree 100%. I do not think the woman should have stopped in the travel lane of an interstate . . but what if she had stopped for a child running in front of her?

IF the motorcycle was speeding, as reports suggest, then the motorcycle driver is not without negligence himself.
Speeding? theres speeding then theres speeding he was going with the flow of traffic on that particular highway which is generally up to 20 kilometers per hour over the posted limit like most interstate type highways , he was in the passing lane following a large camper trailer,not really a conducive to speeding situation especially with daughter on the back and wife on another bike behind him and on a Harley a bike not really in keeping with the speedy sport attitude, obviously there is much the biker could have done to avoid the situation had he known a car was stopped in the passing lane in front of the camper ahead of him, whatever his actions him and his daughter paid the supreme price.
As an exercise next time you are following a large vehicle on a busy interstate follow at the point where you can safely see in front of that vehicle to assure yourself there isnt a stopped car in front of it, you'll be surprised at just how far back you will have to follow the large vehicle and that distance will constantly be getting occupied by other vehicles as people dont drive on busy highways leaving that much distance between them and the vehicle in front.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM

37,055 posts, read 42,002,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
A friend of mines wife served to miss a deer went into a ditch, rolled her truck and broke her neck. She was thrown from the truck and laid in a corn field for hours before the next vehicle came along. It took her 2 years to recover fully.

She could of just hit the deer and then got the truck fixed!

I'm a dog lover and have no desire to hurt any animal for any reason, but if it's them or me. I'll take care of myself and my family first!
You can die by hitting the deer too. It happens. It's always going to come down to split second instinct on the part of the driver.

Once I was driving on a busy road that had a couple lanes of traffic going both was with a median, on an incline, separating the two that was full of shrubs and small trees. I was in the lane closest to the median. Suddenly the car in front of me veered to the left and went down into the ditch and disappeared into the growth and immediately I could see why...a lawnmower had fallen off the truck in front of him and was now bouncing directly towards me and my wind shied! I veered right without thinking or looking and thankfully there was nobody in that lane! I have no idea what happened because I was traveling pretty fast and didn't dare stop! I guess my point is that something crazy happens to you it's impossible to know how you will react.

These are what we call accidents. It could have gone badly for me and other people. It may have gone badly for the car in front of me or the one behind me if they came in contact with the mower. I never knew how it all turned out though but the memory has stayed with me for 30 years. Don't play "what if" and assume your friends wife would have been fine and would only have needed to "fix the bumper" or something.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,427,119 times
This IDIOT woman, who had less than ONE year of driving experience..... STOPPED her car in a live driving lane on a Provincial highway, in Quebec. It was 730 at night, close to sun set. She was NOT on the shoulder of the road, she was IN a driving lane, her car was stopped dead.

She was charged with "Negligence Causing Death> times two dead people. Father and 16 year old daughter, both dead on the scene....... And to add to the horror, this fact......The Wife and Mother, was on another motorcycle, and watched her Husband and Daughter..... Die in front of her eyes. She escaped injury.

The female "animal lover " was also charged with "Dangerous Driving Causing Death " which she was also convicted of. So, she was convicted of ALL the charges, by a jury of 12 men and women, and now she has to come back in August, for her sentencing .

The Canadian Criminal Code calls for a minimum of two years for each of the convictions of
Criminal Negligence Causing Death, and a further two years, minimum, for the two convictions for Dangerous Driving Causing Death............

So at a minimum, she will get six years in a Federal Prison, or the Sentencing Justice MAY make it a higher number of years. The Maximum sentence for Criminal Negligence Causing Death is 14 years, on each conviction, so she could theoretically get 28 years.... But that would highly unusual. Murder in the first degree, in Canada, only carries a 25 year sentence.

I suggest that a sentence in the range of six to eight years, will be forthcoming. The outrage in Quebec over this case is huge.

I am a former Canadian Forces military police investigator, with 30 years of experience enforcing the Canadian Criminal Code. Retired in 1996.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:45 PM

21,676 posts, read 24,822,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
A friend of mines wife served to miss a deer went into a ditch, rolled her truck and broke her neck. She was thrown from the truck and laid in a corn field for hours before the next vehicle came along. It took her 2 years to recover fully.

She could of just hit the deer and then got the truck fixed!

I'm a dog lover and have no desire to hurt any animal for any reason, but if it's them or me. I'll take care of myself and my family first!
Or put on a seat belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events