Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 01:30 AM

658 posts, read 1,141,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At the speed the biker was traveling he would have had to leave a 7-8 car length gap between him and the truck and trailer combo ahead of him,While that distance may look good on paper and may have saved his life in reality keeping that kind of distance between you and the vehicle ahead on a busy big city expressway is an unreasonable expectation.

so if safety is really an issue, why not get laws restructured to be both (on paper, and enforcable) such that unsafe following {tailgating} carries a much stiffer penalty than say, speeding (by 1-2-3 mph over); make it as stiff a penalty as a DUI for example. and make it a capital punishment to merge/change lanes over and cut someone off to reduce their clear space.

around where I live (granted, not the area of the topic/OP) it would probably stop 10-20 accidents a day {on my commute path}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 01:42 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,958,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At the speed the biker was traveling he would have had to leave a 7-8 car length gap between him and the truck and trailer combo ahead of him,While that distance may look good on paper and may have saved his life in reality keeping that kind of distance between you and the vehicle ahead on a busy big city expressway is an unreasonable expectation.
I completely disagree with your notion that its "unreasonable/difficult" to keep that type of distance. I think if an individual has a hard time with this then it’s their driving skills that are lacking and has absolutely nothing to do with being on a big city expressway.

I live in S. Florida which has been consistently rated as one of the worst places to drive with the worst drivers. Also, the expressways here rival the hustle and bustle of major expressways across the country. I have NEVER had trouble keeping a consistent safe distance from the car in front while driving 80 mph. So anyone who can't keep that distances either isn’t trying or are seriously lacking in driving skills.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I completely disagree with your notion that its "unreasonable/difficult" to keep that type of distance. I think if an individual has a hard time with this then it’s their driving skills that are lacking and has absolutely nothing to do with being on a big city expressway.

I live in S. Florida which has been consistently rated as one of the worst places to drive with the worst drivers. Also, the expressways here rival the hustle and bustle of major expressways across the country. I have NEVER had trouble keeping a consistent safe distance from the car in front while driving 80 mph. So anyone who can't keep that distances either isn’t trying or are seriously lacking in driving skills.

anyone who ever "cuts you off" renders your point moot.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
anyone who ever "cuts you off" renders your point moot.
Since when does someone cutting me off lead to me being unable to create a safe distance? You can easily step off the acclerator, create a gap and then resume at your original speed once you have a safe distance.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Since when does someone cutting me off lead to me being unable to create a safe distance? You can easily step off the acclerator, create a gap and then resume at your original speed once you have a safe distance.

You are at 8 lenghts behind the car in front of you @ 70 mph

person "x" suddenly 'merges' in from an adjacent lane at 1 length ahead of you and immediately slams the brakes to avoid some bouncing road debris.

you just rear-ended them.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,059,670 times
Quote:

person "x" suddenly 'merges' in from an adjacent lane at 1 length ahead of you and immediately slams the brakes to avoid some bouncing road debris.

A modern car has a response time over 100 times faster than a human. The car will start slowing down to make room before the lane changer is fully in the lane.

Unfortunately, in this case, the lane changer is driving recklessly and is causing an unsafe condition.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A modern car has a response time over 100 times faster than a human. The car will start slowing down to make room before the lane changer is fully in the lane.

Unfortunately, in this case, the lane changer is driving recklessly and is causing an unsafe condition.

1) not everyone is driving a "smart" car.

2) the point was that the poster claimed they can always maintain a safe distance. this is patently false unless everyone else does NOT drive recklessly.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:

How does one extreme example of an accident where you are unable to keep a safe distance eqate to people in general being unable able to keep a safe distance on the highway? Fact is, most of the time most people can keep a safe distance if they know what they are doing behind the wheel.

Quote:
1) not everyone is driving a "smart" car.

2) the point was that the poster claimed they can always maintain a safe distance. this is patently false unless everyone else does NOT drive recklessly.
I never said ALWAYS. I said I never have trouble because even when someone cuts me off, I do what I said above. So most of the time its entirely possible if you know how to drive correctly. You seem like the type that wants to argue for the sake of being right even when your clearly wrong. Just stop, your not doing yourself any favors by arugeing a point thats clearly not correct to anyone who knows how to drive.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:

I never said ALWAYS. I said I never have trouble because even when someone cuts me off, I do what I said above. So most of the time its entirely possible if you know how to drive correctly. You seem like the type that wants to argue for the sake of being right even when your clearly wrong. Just stop, your not doing yourself any favors by arugeing a point thats clearly not correct to anyone who knows how to drive.

if you "never" have trouble then you 'always' maintain the distance.

I like how you backpedal then into the "so most of the time..." which is not the universal claim you just claimed in the preceding sentence.

I'm pointing out that no matter how safe YOU are, someone can still put you in an unmanageable situation.

*edit*
since you like the ad hominems, you seem like the type that doesn't think before they type. but hey, it's OK. most people are the same.

ps, what's "arugeing" ?

Old 12-28-2015, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,149,029 times
Quote:
so if safety is really an issue, why not get laws restructured to be both (on paper, and enforcable) such that unsafe following {tailgating} carries a much stiffer penalty than say, speeding (by 1-2-3 mph over); make it as stiff a penalty as a DUI for example. and make it a capital punishment to merge/change lanes over and cut someone off to reduce their clear space.

around where I live (granted, not the area of the topic/OP) it would probably stop 10-20 accidents a day {on my commute path}
I dont know about the traffic in your area but if you leave a 6-7 car length between you and the car in front of you here in Montreal you will continually have cars pulling into that space and effectively eliminating your safety zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events