Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Canadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash - Telegraph

Quote:
A Canadian woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

The 25 year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.
She wiped away tears when the verdict was delivered to a packed courtroom in Montreal. Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault said the 12-member jury voted unanimously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Please update this when the judge decides the sentences. If you park your vehicle on the highway for any reason it is completely your fault what could or does happen, I'm not surprised at this outcome at all.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
We've been having an extensive debate about this story in the automotive section.
Whats the punishment for being stupid

She basically stopped her car in the passing lane of a busy expressway thinking she could help some ducklings cross the road, the ensuing crash as a result of her actions cost a motorcyclist and his daughter their lives.
The chances of her getting life for this bone headed move is slim..
The story to date.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...ks-on-highway/.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
I don't know about her being found criminally negligent, but I do agree--I get tired of people slamming on brakes and the like over animals. Me: I just keep on moving. You don't sling people around like crash test dummies over a cat, dog, or (yes) geese in the road. You keep on moving.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:29 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
I'm happy to hear that this ignorant moron is being prosecuted for taking actions that killed 2 people. It is hard to believe just how unbelievably stupid some people are. Heart goes out to the family that lost their loved ones.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
This reminds me of the time my brother lived in Texas and was heading home on a busy traffic light controlled highway...three lanes in both directions. All of a sudden the traffic in front of him is braking. He sees in front of him cars going around two women who stopped and are trying to corral a stray dog.

He gets up to get around them, looks over, and sees one of the women is his wife.

He promptly pulled over and corralled her back into her car.

She was always dog crazy, volunteered at the local dog shelter, believed dogs were better than children.....

Lucky there was no accident and neither were hit by a car.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
A friend of mines wife served to miss a deer went into a ditch, rolled her truck and broke her neck. She was thrown from the truck and laid in a corn field for hours before the next vehicle came along. It took her 2 years to recover fully.

She could of just hit the deer and then got the truck fixed!

I'm a dog lover and have no desire to hurt any animal for any reason, but if it's them or me. I'll take care of myself and my family first!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
I noticed a lot of ladies are animal lovers and think a wild animal is like a person

they think all it needs is love, then get attacked by a wild monkey or bear, chimpanzee, etc

they think animals are their friends, people need to stop treating a wild animal like a pet.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Do your best to protect animals without endangering people. I love animals, but people trump them (in most cases).

Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
...and if the inattentive motorcyclist crashed into someone who was clearly stopped BUT was checking a flat tire instead of helping animals? The worst thing the driver was guilty of, was not activating the car's emergency flashers. What happened to driving defensively and not following too closely?

This story is clickbait to declare open season on those "bleeding hearts" who dare show compassion for non-human life forms. I hope the verdict is vigorously and successfully appealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events