U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 11 days ago)

3,954 posts, read 3,194,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Please excuse me.

My question is:

Why would you post a "breed specific" news item that was dragged out of months' worth of archives?

So, Wise Man....

What is your take on it?

Would you consider yourself an "animal lover?"....or a victim?

Your post speaks for itself.

As a "trainer", would you consider the "pit bull type" to be a breed?

Or would you like to "rescue" ALL of this "type"....?

Euthanasia?

I think you're full of crap.

Carry on.......
I posted breed specific because it seems relevant to the other current threads.

My take on what?

I love animals. I have only been the victim of one vicious dog bite, back when I was around 13 years old. I was in the wrong for being in the dogs yard at the time.

My training is done as a hobby, not as a profession. I do consider Pit Bulls a breed.

I think the word "rescue" in the context of the article posted is ludicrous because dogs aren't humans.

By "type" I am assuming that you mean Pit Bulls, and I am for banning them entirely, which currently they are banned in about 700 municipalities.

I feel that the ASPCA and animal shelters do a fair job of putting down animals.

I have been known to be full of crap, especially after a large meal.

Carry on.......

Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
People repeat the "6% of the dog population is pit bulls", but that is way off base, especially when you consider most of the dog bites are not being attributed to pure bred APBTs or Amstaffs, even by the most biased reports. To say that only 6% of the dog population consists of pit mixes is patently absurd, but hard to disprove when no statistics on mixes are available, and very little reliable data on purebreds is available. If they are going by data from the AKC, they are undercounting many breeds and overcounting others.
This is a good point, as all data can be contested considering sources etc... So what number do you feel is fair? Considering mixed breeds? 35%? And if this is a fair number to you, then 35% of the dog population in America is doing 80% of the damage, instead of 6%, does this make a difference to you?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 PM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,445,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I posted breed specific because it seems relevant to the other current threads.

My take on what?

I love animals. I have only been the victim of one vicious dog bite, back when I was around 13 years old. I was in the wrong for being in the dogs yard at the time.

My training is done as a hobby, not as a profession. I do consider Pit Bulls a breed.

I think the word "rescue" in the context of the article posted is ludicrous because dogs aren't humans.

By "type" I am assuming that you mean Pit Bulls, and I am for banning them entirely, which currently they are banned in about 700 municipalities.

I feel that the ASPCA and animal shelters do a fair job of putting down animals.

I have been known to be full of crap, especially after a large meal.

Carry on.......
So, if you consider "pit bull" a breed, then you're wrong. And your little "hobby" does not make you an expert.

And because 700 municipalities ban them, you lump yourself into the same ignorant category (re: knowledge of dog breeds).

Wonderful representation of yourself; and the ASPCA is absolutely wonderful about putting down animals. As a matter of fact, besides promoting propaganda....they're right up there with euthanasia. We won't discuss how they do it or how long it takes them to torture critters.....a wise guy like you already knows....

Keep eating, but stop feeding your crap to others.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM
YAZ

Quote:
This is a good point, as all data can be contested considering sources etc... So what number do you feel is fair? Considering mixed breeds? 35%? And if this is a fair number to you, then 35% of the dog population in America is doing 80% of the damage, instead of 6%, does this make a difference to you?

BS.

Cite your stats with credible sources. Even the CDC stopped compiling data about breed specific attacks. Their sources were deemed unreliable.

So are you gonna start making up chit to validate your opinion?

What channel do you work for?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
BS.

Cite your stats with credible sources. Even the CDC stopped compiling data about breed specific attacks. Their sources were deemed unreliable.

So are you gonna start making up chit to validate your opinion?

What channel do you work for?
Pit Bull Attacks - Advocating for Victims of Dangerous Dog Attacks

If you have a better source to refute this source feel free to cite it.

About us
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dog breeds, chiefly pit bulls. We are the primary 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to putting the safety of humans before dogs and the principle source of information on this topic that is not owned, controlled, or funded by dog breeders, owners, veterinarian or animal welfare groups. We do not receive government or corporate funding; we rely on donations from the public and our supporters -- people like you.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,560,173 times
Quote:
35% is a lot closer. But now we get to that nasty 80% statistic, and it has been argued to death on that other thread. There may be people contesting *some* pit bull attacks that really were committed by pit bulls. I believe some people go overboard in denying at times. But I have absolutely no doubt that other attacks by medium/large short haired dogs without an ounce of pit, get wrongly pegged as pit bull attacks. I was talking to someone who works with dogs, and professes to love pits. She was talking about the video I mentioned earlier where the dog attacked a boy on a bike and was chased away by a cat. She started "The video of the pit bull who.." Now, that dog looked nothing like a pit bull, and was identified by the owner as lab/chow. But somehow, even this person who "likes pit bulls", saw a pit bull attacking where there was none. The more hype there is about pit bull attacks, the more people see pit bulls when they see an aggressive dog. There have been psychological studies showing how inaccurately people can see things at times. I'm not saying a pit bull has never hurt anyone. I'm saying I don't buy that statistic at all. National Canine Research Council doesn't either, and they have researched attacks more exhaustively than anyone, but unfortunately they're seen as pit bull apologists by the anti-pit bull crowd, so it doesn't seem to help. Exactly why I try to avoid these long threads that go nowhere, and I hope sometime I learn to do it!
Oh, I see you cited dogbite. And her credentials are? And she brags about having no veterinarians on staff because??? They're so unreliable a source?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 PM
YAZ

Here we go again....another quick interwebby search that turns up with an Anti Pit Bull Agenda.

I'm very familiar with crittersbite.stupid and you've already established your ignorance by citing the ASPCA.

Next, you'll cite the HSUS......

Please explain to me WHY the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, GA will no longer provide data on breed specific attacks.

Never mind.

I'll inform you, Mr. I'm not a dog trainer but I play one on TV.....

BECAUSE the stats are based on media accounts and are deemed UNRELIABLE.

And so are you.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
dog attacks should result in destroying the animal.
unless they are protecting the owner.
of course if you are dealing drugs and sik your dog on the cops who should be shot???? the dogs?????

Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Pit Bull Attacks - Advocating for Victims of Dangerous Dog Attacks

If you have a better source to refute this source feel free to cite it.

About us
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dog breeds, chiefly pit bulls. We are the primary 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to putting the safety of humans before dogs and the principle source of information on this topic that is not owned, controlled, or funded by dog breeders, owners, veterinarian or animal welfare groups. We do not receive government or corporate funding; we rely on donations from the public and our supporters -- people like you.
Funded by the HSUS.

The biggest killer of dogs in the world.

Nice org.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,529,201 times
Quote:
Sure does. I would guess 50% of all dogs are under 25-30lbs, and too small to do maiming or killing of humans in all but the most unique situations - statistically, almost non-existant.

So... when you account for 35% pit/pit mixes vs the reaining 15% of dogs large enough to kill or maim people (100% of the poulation set that can maim or kill), the split then becomes 70% of dogs with the potential to maim or kill account for 80% of attacks, and 30% of the dogs with the potential to maim or kill account for 20%.

Pits and pit mixes still account for a larger percent of maiming and killing, but 6%:80% is fundementally different than 70%:80%.

And I am admittedly guessing at the numbers I presented above (although I think they are generally in the ballpark), but evn if the numbers shift some, the point still remains, when you account for small dogs and remove them from the numbers, and accurately asses the total number of pit/pit mixes/bully breed/bully breed mixes/Am Staffs/Staffies/APBs that are the all inclusive grouping of "Pit Bull," they are somewhat more likely to be in a bite event than non-pit, but are not the overwhelming proportion of bite events portrayed by media and anti pit bull activists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or