U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 16 days ago)

3,984 posts, read 3,204,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
35% is a lot closer. But now we get to that nasty 80% statistic, and it has been argued to death on that other thread. There may be people contesting *some* pit bull attacks that really were committed by pit bulls. I believe some people go overboard in denying at times. But I have absolutely no doubt that other attacks by medium/large short haired dogs without an ounce of pit, get wrongly pegged as pit bull attacks. I was talking to someone who works with dogs, and professes to love pits. She was talking about the video I mentioned earlier where the dog attacked a boy on a bike and was chased away by a cat. She started "The video of the pit bull who.." Now, that dog looked nothing like a pit bull, and was identified by the owner as lab/chow. But somehow, even this person who "likes pit bulls", saw a pit bull attacking where there was none. The more hype there is about pit bull attacks, the more people see pit bulls when they see an aggressive dog. There have been psychological studies showing how inaccurately people can see things at times. I'm not saying a pit bull has never hurt anyone. I'm saying I don't buy that statistic at all. National Canine Research Council doesn't either, and they have researched attacks more exhaustively than anyone, but unfortunately they're seen as pit bull apologists by the anti-pit bull crowd, so it doesn't seem to help. Exactly why I try to avoid these long threads that go nowhere, and I hope sometime I learn to do it!
Oh, I see you cited dogbite. And her credentials are? And she brags about having no veterinarians on staff because??? They're so unreliable a source?
I agree totally with the fact that the hype around the Pitt is a terrible injustice to the "breed". Again, I owned 2 myself and they were fine animals. Not once did I ever suspect that they were a danger. This doesn't mean that there's generally a bad public perception of the "breed". I think that you guys are misconstruing my thread. All of the talk here is in defense or attack of the dog, not one single mention of the 10 year old that lost an eye and is scarred for life.

I'm not going to cite her sources, you are free to ask her and her organization where they source their data from. I cited my source for this thread's sake.

Generally when the 350 million of us in the United States starts to not like something, let's saaay.... a killer bee. Well, then no one really pays attention to the problem until the media gets hold of it, and then it becomes a national crisis. I have not once in my life been attacked by a killer bee, does this mean that they're not deadly? Does it mean that they're safe? Do they get a bad rap or are they justified in being called killers? What about great white sharks? I've never been bitten by one, do this mean they're safe?

There's two sides to every coin I suppose.... And you're right, these threads go nowhere... It's just another soapbox for the trolls to shout from. My apologies.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,575,611 times
Well, thank you! Calling it a night.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM

613 posts, read 571,075 times
Here's to hoping Mickey does the same thing to Sheriff Joe that he did to that child.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM

613 posts, read 571,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Been there, done that.

The dog was chained & penned up and an idiot baby sitter didn't do her job.

The kid ventured in to the yard and was mauled by a DOG that didn't know any better with limited human interaction.

And I agree....the dog needs to be killed.

Can't have that.

Hardly indicative of all "pit bull types" and hardly indicative of ANY "type."

I thought you might spend some time researching animal behavior instead of dragging up old "news."
Chained dogs can be very dangerous. It's sad in this day and age people still think that chaining or penning your dog all alone in the back yard for it's entire life is the appropriate way to treat a highly social animal

Help Chained Dogs | A Common Form of Animal Cruelty

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/

That poor dog in the top pics breaks my heart, he looks so lonely :'(

Last edited by Ten Cat; 06-25-2014 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,895,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Any dog that attacks a person without provocation that results in signifcant injury or death needs to be put to sleep. Any dog bite to a person should be investigated, and if there is a pattern of biting, or if the dog is determined to be aggresive by authorities (even if it's a single incident), consideration should be given to putting the dog to sleep.

This is only an issue for the fringes on both side of the argument who are driven only by emotion, not facts and logic.
But this animal was provoked. Let me just point that out. Many dogs will bite when someone tries to take food away from them.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM

9,288 posts, read 16,151,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Pit Bull Attacks - Advocating for Victims of Dangerous Dog Attacks

If you have a better source to refute this source feel free to cite it.

About us
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dog breeds, chiefly pit bulls. We are the primary 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to putting the safety of humans before dogs and the principle source of information on this topic that is not owned, controlled, or funded by dog breeders, owners, veterinarian or animal welfare groups. We do not receive government or corporate funding; we rely on donations from the public and our supporters -- people like you.

Colleen Lynn has a very narrow agenda.... and her half-truths and outright lies have been disproven on numerous occasions.......

Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,846,013 times
I'd no more allow my young son to play in a house with a pit bull than I would allow him to play in a house where there was a loaded handgun on the table. Inherently dangerous.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,531,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But this animal was provoked. Let me just point that out. Many dogs will bite when someone tries to take food away from them.
When testing for aggression in dogs, one of several things they test is how a dog reacts to a HUMAN taking food from them. Food protectiveness against humans is considered an aggresive act. If I understand the process correctly, a dog can show agression in a category, and still not be considered an aggressive dog, but the test is designed to show through a pattern of behaviors and reactions whether a dog is aggressive.

Even if the dog was provoked, testing should be done IMO.

We had a 90lbs dog (not a pit bull) who was great with our kids, she'd herd them in the yard and keep them from wandering away. I loved her. She was always agressive towards visitors, but bit our gas man (he had a wooden leg, and the dog bit it, then freaked!). We put her down because she was dangerous to strangers with or without provocation. Broke my heart, but it had to be done. I hate to think what she would have done to the gas man's leg if it weren't a prosthetic!

A dog aggresive dog is a problem, but can be managed. A people aggressive dog is a danger IMO. Where I disagree with my BSL proponent freinds is, I think each dog is the issue, not a breed, and irresponsible owners are a problem for everybody, and in some cases, an outright danger to others.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 16 days ago)

3,984 posts, read 3,204,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Colleen Lynn has a very narrow agenda.... and her half-truths and outright lies have been disproven on numerous occasions.......
I can see that, her website is full of content which is biased to her opinions and beliefs, would you or could you find another source that has done as much research into dog bites so that we can have another source to compare her data with?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM

33,177 posts, read 39,170,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

The dog was chained & penned up and an idiot baby sitter didn't do her job.
If the dog is continually chained and penned then putting the dog down might be doing the animal a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or