U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,508,218 times
Reputation: 3289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Bottom line is, humans are more important than animals.
That's your opinion. It's not fact.

 
Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Reputation: 3814
According to FBI statistics, over 18,000 people were murdered in 1997. The 1997 figure was down 7 percent from 1996, and 26 percent from 1993.


I guess we have more to fear from other people than we ever will from dogs.
 
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That's your opinion. It's not fact.
His opinion (humans > animals) is right. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. In fact, anyone who disagrees and has kids deserves to have their children taken away from them because it's nothing less than child abuse to tell a child they're no more important than a dog. Heaven help this world.

Even if the child was in another's yard, so what? People have been known to be told they're responsible for their yard being safe for children who live around them, that's why pools are required to have fences. That dog has no "job" other than to lick its rear end and mind its own business. I have 2 dogs and it would never occur to me to have them bite a child who wanders over here, in fact if they did I'd shoot the dumb things myself. They are NOBODY to challenge a human being who matters more on a bad day than they ever will even on a good day.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-15-2016 at 09:19 PM..
 
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,695 posts, read 1,508,218 times
Reputation: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
His opinion (humans > animals) is right. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. In fact, anyone who disagrees and has kids deserves to have their children taken away from them because it's nothing less than child abuse to tell a child they're no more important than a dog. Heaven help this world.

Even if the child was in another's yard, so what? People have been known to be told they're responsible for their yard being safe for children who live around them, that's why pools are required to have fences. That dog has no "job" other than to lick its rear end and mind its own business. I have 2 dogs and it would never occur to me to have them bite a child who wanders over here, in fact if they did I'd shoot the dumb things myself. They are NOBODY to challenge a human being who matters more on a bad day than they ever will even on a good day.

Whatever you say, Og
 
Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 PM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,127,846 times
Reputation: 6744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
According to FBI statistics, over 18,000 people were murdered in 1997. The 1997 figure was down 7 percent from 1996, and 26 percent from 1993.


I guess we have more to fear from other people than we ever will from dogs.
Thanks for this!
 
Old 04-16-2016, 05:21 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,313,105 times
Reputation: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
His opinion (humans > animals) is right. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. In fact, anyone who disagrees and has kids deserves to have their children taken away from them because it's nothing less than child abuse to tell a child they're no more important than a dog. Heaven help this world.

Even if the child was in another's yard, so what? People have been known to be told they're responsible for their yard being safe for children who live around them, that's why pools are required to have fences. That dog has no "job" other than to lick its rear end and mind its own business. I have 2 dogs and it would never occur to me to have them bite a child who wanders over here, in fact if they did I'd shoot the dumb things myself. They are NOBODY to challenge a human being who matters more on a bad day than they ever will even on a good day.
Oh how quickly you would change your tune if in a hypothetical situation earth was invaded by an advanced species that held the same belief as you. Bet you wouldn't be sprouting species superiority so easily then would you? And that hypothetical situation alone proves how wrong you are with your beliefs. You should learn to treat all species on this planet with respect. That "dumb thing" feels the same level of physical pain as you if shot/stabbed.

That alone demands that you look at a situation involving an animal and human without bias. There are many situation involving animal attacks where the animal should be put down. But to blindly declare that "they are nobody" and "humans are ALWAYS above animals" just shows a lack of critical thinking and ignorance on your part.
 
Old 04-16-2016, 05:32 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Oh how quickly you would change your tune if in a hypothetical situation earth was invaded by an advanced species that held the same belief as you. Bet you wouldn't be sprouting species superiority so easily then would you? And that hypothetical situation alone proves how wrong you are with your beliefs. You should learn to treat all species on this planet with respect. That "dumb thing" feels the same level of physical pain as you if shot/stabbed.

That alone demands that you look at a situation involving an animal and human without bias. There are many situation involving animal attacks where the animal should be put down. But to blindly declare that "they are nobody" and "humans are ALWAYS above animals" just shows a lack of critical thinking and ignorance on your part.
No, it shows that I know right from wrong. God Himself has said that man is in charge of the animals, and that settles it. That does not mean we should be mean to them, but yes they are NOBODY to challenge us intellectually or position-wise on ANY front whatsoever. Especially at our homes, they are to fit in to the human's lifestyle, not vice versa. Even at my home, I'd never expect a human visitor to "respect" my dog anymore than not being cruel to it. It isn't "his home too," he's just a dog. If my dog were to show even the slightest amount of aggression towards a child visiting my place, I'd put that dog in his place telling him "that's a human, you don't DARE challenge him for ANY reason." If the child is teasing my dog etc, I'll handle it (and I should because teasing is wrong), the dog is NOBODY to challenge a human. Compared to a human, he's not even worthy to lick his boots.

To that end, not only that, if a woodpecker starts drilling into the side of my house, I'm solving that problem with something that involves the measurement of a given caliber of a bullet. The same thing goes for a neighbor's dog coming over here ransacking my trash or scaring my children. I don't care what the law says, my house isn't going to suffer damage due to nonsensical ramblings of some animal rights wacko.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dare shoot a child because I've got the good sense and respect for what God has said about the sanctity of human life to know better. Anything else isn't a "difference of opinion," it's a bunch of rambling lunacy that sounds like something emitting from a resident of a mental institution.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-16-2016 at 05:47 AM..
 
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,313,105 times
Reputation: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
No, it shows that I know right from wrong. God Himself has said that man is in charge of the animals, and that settles it. That does not mean we should be mean to them, but yes they are NOBODY to challenge us intellectually or position-wise on ANY front whatsoever. Especially at our homes, they are to fit in to the human's lifestyle, not vice versa. Even at my home, I'd never expect a human visitor to "respect" my dog anymore than not being cruel to it. It isn't "his home too," he's just a dog. If my dog were to show even the slightest amount of aggression towards a child visiting my place, I'd put that dog in his place telling him "that's a human, you don't DARE challenge him for ANY reason." If the child is teasing my dog etc, I'll handle it (and I should because teasing is wrong), the dog is NOBODY to challenge a human. Compared to a human, he's not even worthy to lick his boots.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dare shoot a child because I've got the good sense and respect for what God has said about the sanctity of human life to know better. Anything else isn't a "difference of opinion," it's a bunch of rambling lunacy that sounds like something emitting from a resident of a mental institution.
Even being highly religious I understand why a lot of people hate certain overly religious people. Your response highlights their arguments perfectly. And by the way that hardly settles it. Not everyone believes in God, so you using God to "settle it" means nothing to a lot of people. You don't need religion to treat animals correctly, just common sense.

I noticed how you didn't produce a single counterargument to anything I said. But you just chose to go with the rigid argument of "God said animals are below me and so there." By the way being religious I know enough about that side to know that you haven't really looked too deeply into what God actually said about animals. If you did you wouldn't be making the comments you are making. I will make an argument for animals based on religion. A website already described it perfectly so I will just quote them:

"God declares in Genesis 1:26-30 that humans have the responsibility to rule (have dominion) over the nonhuman creation. Tragically, this dominion has frequently turned to exploitation. Humans are to serve and watch lovingly, almost worshipfully, over God’s creation. We are God’s stewards over His creation. He has the sovereignty; we have the dominion. Francis Schaeffer argues that humans have two relationships–one upward and one downward. The upward relationship accentuates the personal relationship humans might have with God, a relationship not enjoyed by the rest of the created order. The downward relationship accentuates the “creaturely” relationship that humans share with the rest of the created order (see Genesis 2:7 and Job 34:14,15).

As in most issues, the struggle is to keep the two in balance. We tend to so highlight the upward relationship to the virtual exclusion of the downward. This leads to horrific neglect or ruthless exploitation of the physical world. Or we tend to highlight the downward to the virtual exclusion of the upward. This is the gross error of the evolutionary hypothesis, which sees humans as the product of the impersonal force of natural selection, not of God’s purposeful design."

Whats described above is a far cry from your idea of "animals fitting in with OUR lifestyle" or "someone coming in your house and not respecting your animals." If you are as religious as you say you are, try looking a bit deeper into the meaning of what God has commanded as to do with animals. Remember not too long ago there were guys wearing white hoods proclaiming people of color as sub-human.

They were also "highly religious" and frequently used the bible/God to justify their actions. They sound pretty silly to most people now a days. Whether you accept it or not the argument your making regarding your view of animals is primitive and is becming more unpopular by the day. In a few decades it will seem as silly as the beliefs the men in white hoods held.
 
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
{snip} Whether you accept it or not the argument your making regarding your view of animals is primitive and is becming more unpopular by the day. In a few decades it will seem as silly as the beliefs the men in white hoods held.
As I said, I deal in what is RIGHT and what is WRONG. Yes, man is supposed to be HUMANE and KIND to animals, but that doesn't mean tolerating a bunch of nonsense either. That you have people subscribing to this whole bunch of fruity nonsense of putting an animal anywhere NEAR a human's level is catching on, this only speaks to the depravity and blasphemy of certain people who have no respect for human life. Yes we are to treat animals HUMANELY, absolutely, but to put a dog's life anywhere near the same level of importance as a human's doesn't reveal anything other than some people have their own perverted sense of things that is totally out of line with what the big guy has said.

Yes, I figure it will keep on "progressing." Give it enough time, and people will even promote being able to MARRY your dog and have their single person/dog setting given the same level of reverence and such as a legitimate "family." That doesn't make it any less perverted. Around here, we have some SENSE about things, we love and cherish our pets but we recognize they are PETS. I may have some delicate feelings to a certain extent for our dogs and cats, but they don't even compare in the LEAST to the same feelings I have for my children and my wife. Some other people have different opinions, sure, just as some people believe the Holocaust didn't happen and that 9/11 was a US government conspiracy. Just like them, people putting animals on a human being plane of importance are guilty of blasphemy and indecency on the same level as rapists and pedophiles as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top