U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-05-2014, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,494 posts, read 24,227,684 times
Reputation: 7677

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Black is a state of being, gay is defined by a specific type of sexual activity.
Considering that there are studies that show physiological differences between straight people and gay people, I would have to disagree with you.

In addition, practicing a religion is certainly a chosen type of activity, but it's protected under federal law.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 PM
 
Location: MN
1,306 posts, read 1,345,534 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So I guess you were equally outraged when the US has invaded other countries to attempt to democratize them or by Christian and Mormon missionaries going to other countries to push their religion on others. Did you let everyone know at the time how outrageous that behavior is, or did you wait until Joe Biden made a statement you deemed offensive?
Haha waited until he said something offensive...isn't that his style?

Christians and Mormons aren't the only ones who proselytize, and I'm not for the foreign policy we have where we think we can tell other countries how to be democratic.

How about we do this...take a look at other countries where they are literally sacrificing their national culture in order to appease other groups and countries. This goes beyond any gay rights issue and if anyone thinks it's limited to that, they are myopic. Quite frankly, if gays want to get legal recognition for their unions they're going to get it. However, I'm not about to have some country tell me how to run my own country, nor am I going to support the US telling other countries how to run theirs. Damn right culture matters, and I don't care who doesn't like it. If you don't like the country you live in because of the culture, then leave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM
 
8,141 posts, read 12,513,449 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Now the question is, are we okay with other countries stepping in to fix our crap denying people's rights? I bet the Scands would have a field day with our laws regarding maternity leave and women in the workplace. Or how about allowing the Middle East Islamic countries to step in when Islamic women can't hijab because it offends someone? How about allowing other European countries to step in when it comes to the violations toward our own workers because companies believe people are disposable and treat them thusly? These are all happening and don't they need to be fixed?

Just because we live in the land of the free doesn't give US the right to tell other countries how to be free. Period. I don't care if it's about granting rights to any group in particular.
Our laws suck with Maternity Leave. The white house doesn't seem to get it. I'm all for the Scands stepping in. Maybe we could actually learn a thing or 2 about how to run a country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: MN
1,306 posts, read 1,345,534 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Our laws suck with Maternity Leave. The white house doesn't seem to get it. I'm all for the Scands stepping in. Maybe we could actually learn a thing or 2 about how to run a country.


This is the problem. The reality is, we don't actually want others to step in. The US gov't comes up with their own policies in their own way. To presume it would just be accepted at the snap of fingers is absurd. Now should we assume the same for other countries?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 AM
 
Location: La Isla Encanta, Puerto Rico
1,129 posts, read 2,937,176 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Really? My congressman is gay. He's a Democrat. My two US Senators (Whitehouse and Reed) are Democrats, and rock-solidly pro-equality.

Of course, you're right -- being pro-equality is the right place to be.

There are currently six LGBT member of the House. Guess how many are Republican? No, c'mon, guess!

You say that there are six LGBT members of the house. My guess is that all six openly LGBT members are Democrats. There are probably double digit Republican members - but they are all "in the closet".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,231,485 times
Reputation: 4399
Not only do they trump culture, they trump most heteros on the fun scale too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM
 
7,918 posts, read 3,731,788 times
Reputation: 10406
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You really need to stop with the dramatics. I bet that comcast employee had a good laugh after that ridiculous phone call. Your family won't fall apart if they see the word homosexual, I promise.
I see, so when a company you are paying good money to for service promotes things that are against your belief system, you should remain silent because it is not PC?

For starters, the employee said others had complained, but she was not sure what to do about it. She also sounded like she did not support it either. Regardless, I bet your tune would change if Comcast publicly supported something you opposed or was not PC. You would like it even less if it was on your computers home page for everyone in your family to see.
For my family, I do not want them to become desensitized to the homosexual agenda by constantly being exposed to it via Hollywood, the liberal news media, and certainly not by a company I am paying thousands of dollars to every year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
 
7,918 posts, read 3,731,788 times
Reputation: 10406
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe those people should toughen up. Bunch of cry babies. Oh, what's this agenda?
Again you and others are missing the point. Until very recently, homosexuality was taught to be an aberrant sexual practice. While not outlawed, it was not promoted anymore than other deviant sexual practices. With the moral fabric of our country eroding, Hollywood, the news media and various other liberals try to further the homosexual agenda on a regular basis. This includes some homosexuals themselves that have been honest about the homo agenda like Kevin Williamson. Even if it is a movie or sitcom without an obvious homosexual in it, there are constantly references to it in many forms, such as jokes about heteros maybe secretly being homo's.
There is a deliberate effort to desensitize us to it, so it becomes an attitude of "what is the big deal". I watch very few TV shows, but sure enough almost every new show has direct or indirect references to it. I just tried watching a brand new series, and within minutes I was exposed to it where it made no sense to even put it there. Needless to say, that ended any chance of me watching that series in the future. Like anything else, you see enough of it, and you do become desensitized to it. Yet people such as myself do not want to have our children exposed to it on TV, internet, movies, etc.

This is a small example, but it is an example of how pervasive it gets into daily life. I was telling my son and a few of his friends a story. I mentioned that my partner and I encountered XYZ. Before I could get out another word, one of his friends was snickering. I asked why, and the kid said it sounded like I was talking about being a homo, just because I used a normal term like partner. Obviously the normal term of gay as meaning happy has long been co-opted by homosexuals, however even normal things people do are joked about as being homo.

Anyway, it comes as no surprise the Biden would say such an absurd thing. While I personally do not care if homosexuals do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, I do not want to be constantly subjected to homosexuality publicly.

`
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,494 posts, read 24,227,684 times
Reputation: 7677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Again you and others are missing the point. Until very recently, homosexuality was taught to be an aberrant sexual practice. While not outlawed, it was not promoted anymore than other deviant sexual practices. With the moral fabric of our country eroding, Hollywood, the news media and various other liberals try to further the homosexual agenda on a regular basis. This includes some homosexuals themselves that have been honest about the homo agenda like Kevin Williamson. Even if it is a movie or sitcom without an obvious homosexual in it, there are constantly references to it in many forms, such as jokes about heteros maybe secretly being homo's.
There is a deliberate effort to desensitize us to it, so it becomes an attitude of "what is the big deal". I watch very few TV shows, but sure enough almost every new show has direct or indirect references to it. I just tried watching a brand new series, and within minutes I was exposed to it where it made no sense to even put it there. Needless to say, that ended any chance of me watching that series in the future. Like anything else, you see enough of it, and you do become desensitized to it. Yet people such as myself do not want to have our children exposed to it on TV, internet, movies, etc.

This is a small example, but it is an example of how pervasive it gets into daily life. I was telling my son and a few of his friends a story. I mentioned that my partner and I encountered XYZ. Before I could get out another word, one of his friends was snickering. I asked why, and the kid said it sounded like I was talking about being a homo, just because I used a normal term like partner. Obviously the normal term of gay as meaning happy has long been co-opted by homosexuals, however even normal things people do are joked about as being homo.

Anyway, it comes as no surprise the Biden would say such an absurd thing. While I personally do not care if homosexuals do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, I do not want to be constantly subjected to homosexuality publicly.

`
Please note: Paranoia is still considered to be a mental illness.

Society and culture are continually evolving. Just because something is talked about in the media more than it used to be does not mean that there is an "agenda" that is being pushed. There was a time when the idea of women and blacks voting was considered radical. Would you prefer we go back to those times as well?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM
 
12,082 posts, read 5,602,570 times
Reputation: 13592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Again you and others are missing the point. Until very recently, homosexuality was taught to be an aberrant sexual practice. While not outlawed, it was not promoted anymore than other deviant sexual practices. With the moral fabric of our country eroding, Hollywood, the news media and various other liberals try to further the homosexual agenda on a regular basis. This includes some homosexuals themselves that have been honest about the homo agenda like Kevin Williamson. Even if it is a movie or sitcom without an obvious homosexual in it, there are constantly references to it in many forms, such as jokes about heteros maybe secretly being homo's.
There is a deliberate effort to desensitize us to it, so it becomes an attitude of "what is the big deal". I watch very few TV shows, but sure enough almost every new show has direct or indirect references to it. I just tried watching a brand new series, and within minutes I was exposed to it where it made no sense to even put it there. Needless to say, that ended any chance of me watching that series in the future. Like anything else, you see enough of it, and you do become desensitized to it. Yet people such as myself do not want to have our children exposed to it on TV, internet, movies, etc.

This is a small example, but it is an example of how pervasive it gets into daily life. I was telling my son and a few of his friends a story. I mentioned that my partner and I encountered XYZ. Before I could get out another word, one of his friends was snickering. I asked why, and the kid said it sounded like I was talking about being a homo, just because I used a normal term like partner. Obviously the normal term of gay as meaning happy has long been co-opted by homosexuals, however even normal things people do are joked about as being homo.

Anyway, it comes as no surprise the Biden would say such an absurd thing. While I personally do not care if homosexuals do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, I do not want to be constantly subjected to homosexuality publicly.

`
Poor you, you're so persecuted. Get over it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top