U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM

25,456 posts, read 23,285,366 times

Advertisements

Joe Biden is an idiot, and if he'd spend more time cleaning up this nation, instead of worrying about what people do in their bedrooms, we'd all be better for it.

There is crime out there, two fold, women being raped and their throats slit, people in Philly and large cities being shot every single day, our infostructure is falling apart, our governmentally funded systems are all broken, and Biden is worried about gays? Typical.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,538,605 times
Does anyone know if there's an "ignore user" function on C-D? Sometimes the stupid is just too overwhelming.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,528,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why?
Because it is an action/activity.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM

12,082 posts, read 5,602,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Because it is an action/activity.
No, sex is an action. Gay is not. Praying is an action, religion is not yet that's covered under civil rights. How interesting.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,528,703 times
Quote:
No, sex is an action. Gay is not. Praying is an action, religion is not yet that's covered under civil rights. How interesting.
Religion is a chosen beleif system, and participation in a specific sect IS an action, as is prayer. The founders did carve out religion as an activity that could not be regulated by congress (Maryland was a Catholic state at the time of ratification), and enshrined it as a right in the first ammendment of the bill of rights.

Even with that, congress has made laws on polygamy (Mormons in the late 1800's), and Peyote (Native Americans in the 1960's), as two examples where they did intercede in religious practices, and states that had a designated religion have uniformly dropped having a religion as the state religion.

If there were something in the bill of rights defining homosexual activity (or even sexual activity, for that matter) as a protected activity, then it would be a civil rights issue. Since there is not, we are into government regulating behavior, which governments have done since the dawn of time.

Should the laws change on consensual sex? Yes, IMO, I actually don't think laws about sexual behavior between consenting adults in private areas/property have any place in the criminal code. I still don't see it as a civil rights issue.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:22 PM

18,288 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Biden "evolved" on the issue of SSM and gay rights long before Obama. Thus this speech comes as no surprise and we can reasonably assume was known by and approved from the WH.

Fresh from gay marriage victories in the United States Obama and his administration know there is still some heavy lifting to be done regarding gay equality. Sadly or not much of this requires action from Congress which for a variety of reasons won't be forthcoming anytime soon. So the administration uses the levers of power at its disposal. The hope is to cement some sort of precedent that cannot be reversed by future administrations.

Many persons in both the USA and Europe tend to see gay rights through the issue of SSM. Now that is mostly settled in a good part of Western developed nations (Oz being a huge example), people tend to turn to other issues. However as with African Americans and other minorities gays often have far more and often pressing problems than simply getting married.

Loving vs. Virginia did not do much to help the discrimination against AAs in America and gay marriage is not going to do much to stop the violence and hatred homosexuals face in many parts of the world.

Biden and others also know Europe and to the extent the USA are in decline while Asian, Middle East, Indian and African nations among others are rising. It is just in countries such as Russia, China, African nations, Middle East countries and so forth that violence against gays and or institutional discrimination is most prevalent if not sanctioned. Even in countries right in the United States backyard such as Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, San Salvador and so forth it can be very dangerous to be openly homosexual or transgender.

It has always been the "White man's burden" for first GB then later USA to export certain values to "savage" nations. If carrots didn't work then some stick (or bullets, cannons etc... ) was put about to drive home the message. Well that does not work so well anymore. For one thing the USA faces competition from Russia and China along with a handful of rich and growing richer nations. What an African leader cannot get from the USA he will likely from China or Russia if only to tick off America.

Still all and all you have to give the Obama administration credit regardless how you feel about the man or his government. Never in the history of the USA has one minority group gone from being reviled to lauded on such a high level in just the space of one now two presidential terms. Obama seems comfortable if not resigned to being known as a "social issue" president during his tenure and waiting for posterity to sort out the rest.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM

460 posts, read 392,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Nope, participating in heterosexual activity is not a civil right either IMO. Further, laws regulating sexual activity between consenting adults should not be on the books IMO, but they are, and need to be changed. It's still not a civil rights issue IMO.
To the degree we have a civil (i.e. legal or socially enforced) right (i.e. a privilege to engage in without an opposing party's privilege to engage in free retribution against the activity), then your opinion doesn't really enter into it. It's not only a civil rights "issue", but it is a recognized civil right. That's what Lawrence v. Texas addressed. Prohibitions on private, consensual sexual acts are Constitutionally invalid.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM

8,842 posts, read 8,175,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Those women choose to be part of that culture.
I thought they were born into it. Where and at what age and under whose auspices does this "choosing" take place?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM

3,095 posts, read 5,426,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow, comparing the promotion of aberrant sexual behavior with a product that another county produces and promotes is beyond the pale.

--

On a semi-related subject I was shocked to see on my Comcast home page a link on page 1 with the acronym for homosexuals and their various sub groups[LGBT]. I called to complain and say if they wanted to "support" that groups behavior, do it on one of the back pages, not the front page where I or my family must see it. Comcast is looking into whether they can remove it from my front page, but declared that it will only be there for a few more days anyway. I asked why, and supposedly it is there because June is homosexual month.
Since when did our country start promoting groups based on their sexual behavior and giving them a month in recognition of it.
When is it bsdm month?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 PM

13,442 posts, read 15,050,919 times
Quote:
You really need to stop with the dramatics. I bet that comcast employee had a good laugh after that ridiculous phone call. Your family won't fall apart if they see the word homosexual, I promise.
LMAO.

Man, would've been fun to be in that call center then. Homosexual month =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or