Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,905 times

Advertisements

'Prejudice Is Prejudice': Biden Says Gay Rights Trump Culture - NBC News

Since when did we have the right to tell other countries how to develop their laws? As a sovereign nation, we can enact laws allowing gays-- or anyone else-- to have the same rights because it is within our borders. When did it become appropriate to start telling other countries to follow what we have within our borders? Did WWII suddenly start over again?

Here's my take on this-- countries should be able to draft and implement laws as they see fit even if we do not agree with them. Are we going to tell Islamic countries they should do away with Sharia law because we don't like the culture? Are we going to tell countries with secular policies they should have more religious laws? Should we force people to be more tolerant, when tolerance is a concept based on the willingness to accept different ideas and behaviors?

I do not believe any nation should have to give up their cultural identity or national culture in order to placate United States politics and policies, or that of any country. We may be disgusted by atrocities abroad, but likewise is directed here with our current issues on privacy, gun violence, poverty, and sex trafficking. I don't hear Biden cracking down on how those are related to prejudices or inhumanities.

Regardless of your position on gay rights or gay marriage, what is your stance on the idea that we should tell other countries how to implement their laws? I get the impression the gay rights slant is being used as a launch board to justify poor foreign policy.

Let's pretend this has nothing to do with gay rights policies. Imagine if another country told us we were inhumane for lacking strict gun control laws, and how protecting citizens from gun violence is a defining mark of a civilized nation. What would the response be then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Biden's specific direction was to "promote" justice, not impose it. He talked about adding "voices".

The ambassador from France promotes French champagne in his official actions. Are you going to condemn that too?

Are you suggesting that diplomats should do absolutely nothing? Or did you simply read into the article more than was actually there?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Imagine if another country told us we were inhumane for lacking strict gun control laws, and how protecting citizens from gun violence is a defining mark of a civilized nation. What would the response be then?
No other country has told us that yet? That hardly seems possible. And the response is easily predicted.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
How would you react if he had said this about the treatment of women in middle eastern countries? Somehow, I suspect you would be just fine with that. It's the gays that you have a problem with, yes?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 AM

490 posts, read 682,031 times
Nobody has the right to hide behind the "It's our culture" argument.

Thousands of people die in the US due to guns every year. But that's ok, it's your "culture"
People are stoned to death in Saudi Arabia, but that's ok too, because it's their "culture"
Thousands of young girls are victims of FGM in Nigeria, but we must respect their "culture"
Gay rights are denied in many parts of the world, but don't complain, it's the "culture"

In all these cases and many others besides, the answer is simple and clear - Get a better culture.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
How about everyone mind their own business.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Biden's specific direction was to "promote" justice, not impose it. He talked about adding "voices".

The ambassador from France promotes French champagne in his official actions. Are you going to condemn that too?

Are you suggesting that diplomats should do absolutely nothing? Or did you simply read into the article more than was actually there?

Wow, comparing the promotion of aberrant sexual behavior with a product that another county produces and promotes is beyond the pale.

--

On a semi-related subject I was shocked to see on my Comcast home page a link on page 1 with the acronym for homosexuals and their various sub groups[LGBT]. I called to complain and say if they wanted to "support" that groups behavior, do it on one of the back pages, not the front page where I or my family must see it. Comcast is looking into whether they can remove it from my front page, but declared that it will only be there for a few more days anyway. I asked why, and supposedly it is there because June is homosexual month.
Since when did our country start promoting groups based on their sexual behavior and giving them a month in recognition of it.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow, comparing the promotion of aberrant sexual behavior with a product that another county produces and promotes is beyond the pale.

--

On a semi-related subject I was shocked to see on my Comcast home page a link on page 1 with the acronym for homosexuals and their various sub groups[LGBT]. I called to complain and say if they wanted to "support" that groups behavior, do it on one of the back pages, not the front page where I or my family must see it. Comcast is looking into whether they can remove it from my front page, but declared that it will only be there for a few more days anyway. I asked why, and supposedly it is there because June is homosexual month.
Since when did our country start promoting groups based on their sexual behavior and giving them a month in recognition of it.
You really need to stop with the dramatics. I bet that comcast employee had a good laugh after that ridiculous phone call. Your family won't fall apart if they see the word homosexual, I promise.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Nobody has the right to hide behind the "It's our culture" argument.

Thousands of people die in the US due to guns every year. But that's ok, it's your "culture"
People are stoned to death in Saudi Arabia, but that's ok too, because it's their "culture"
Thousands of young girls are victims of FGM in Nigeria, but we must respect their "culture"
Gay rights are denied in many parts of the world, but don't complain, it's the "culture"

In all these cases and many others besides, the answer is simple and clear - Get a better culture.
Thank you.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You really need to stop with the dramatics. I bet that comcast employee had a good laugh after that ridiculous phone call. Your family won't fall apart if they see the word homosexual, I promise.
The problem is that people are sick of having the gay agenda in their face now 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events