Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What if ordinary folks don't like every liberal pet project rammed down their throats in an attempt to convince them these things are normal and acceptable?
When you can stop attempting to consider other human beings living their lives in accordance with their beliefs and values as a "pet project" of liberals, you'll perhaps be able to deny that hate is your motivation for seeking to impose your beliefs and values on others as if you're God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
You don't understand.
I do understand. And that upsets you, evidently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
I've given up on anyone whose tired argument is to vainly attempt to make me out as the enemy of whatever pet project is wanted by whatever fringe group.
Bull. You're still arguing. Still arguing to rationalize hate. Still arguing to try to convince others, and perhaps even yourself, that the hate you support is somehow justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
'Prejudice Is Prejudice': Biden Says Gay Rights Trump Culture - NBC News

Since when did we have the right to tell other countries how to develop their laws? As a sovereign nation, we can enact laws allowing gays-- or anyone else-- to have the same rights because it is within our borders. When did it become appropriate to start telling other countries to follow what we have within our borders? Did WWII suddenly start over again?

Here's my take on this-- countries should be able to draft and implement laws as they see fit even if we do not agree with them. Are we going to tell Islamic countries they should do away with Sharia law because we don't like the culture? Are we going to tell countries with secular policies they should have more religious laws? Should we force people to be more tolerant, when tolerance is a concept based on the willingness to accept different ideas and behaviors?

I do not believe any nation should have to give up their cultural identity or national culture in order to placate United States politics and policies, or that of any country. We may be disgusted by atrocities abroad, but likewise is directed here with our current issues on privacy, gun violence, poverty, and sex trafficking. I don't hear Biden cracking down on how those are related to prejudices or inhumanities.

Regardless of your position on gay rights or gay marriage, what is your stance on the idea that we should tell other countries how to implement their laws? I get the impression the gay rights slant is being used as a launch board to justify poor foreign policy.

Let's pretend this has nothing to do with gay rights policies. Imagine if another country told us we were inhumane for lacking strict gun control laws, and how protecting citizens from gun violence is a defining mark of a civilized nation. What would the response be then?
Gays deserve the same rights straight people. ALWAYS. And if thats not happening then that's wrong and it needs to be fixed. I am fine with us stepping into countries to fix crap that denies people rights.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Gays deserve the same rights straight people. ALWAYS. And if thats not happening then that's wrong and it needs to be fixed. I am fine with us stepping into countries to fix crap that denies people rights.
Now the question is, are we okay with other countries stepping in to fix our crap denying people's rights? I bet the Scands would have a field day with our laws regarding maternity leave and women in the workplace. Or how about allowing the Middle East Islamic countries to step in when Islamic women can't hijab because it offends someone? How about allowing other European countries to step in when it comes to the violations toward our own workers because companies believe people are disposable and treat them thusly? These are all happening and don't they need to be fixed?

Just because we live in the land of the free doesn't give US the right to tell other countries how to be free. Period. I don't care if it's about granting rights to any group in particular.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Let's pretend this has nothing to do with gay rights policies. Imagine if another country told us we were inhumane for lacking strict gun control laws, and how protecting citizens from gun violence is a defining mark of a civilized nation. What would the response be then?
That they have a point.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
'Prejudice Is Prejudice': Biden Says Gay Rights Trump Culture - NBC News

Since when did we have the right to tell other countries how to develop their laws? As a sovereign nation, we can enact laws allowing gays-- or anyone else-- to have the same rights because it is within our borders. When did it become appropriate to start telling other countries to follow what we have within our borders? Did WWII suddenly start over again?

Here's my take on this-- countries should be able to draft and implement laws as they see fit even if we do not agree with them. Are we going to tell Islamic countries they should do away with Sharia law because we don't like the culture? Are we going to tell countries with secular policies they should have more religious laws? Should we force people to be more tolerant, when tolerance is a concept based on the willingness to accept different ideas and behaviors?

I do not believe any nation should have to give up their cultural identity or national culture in order to placate United States politics and policies, or that of any country. We may be disgusted by atrocities abroad, but likewise is directed here with our current issues on privacy, gun violence, poverty, and sex trafficking. I don't hear Biden cracking down on how those are related to prejudices or inhumanities.

Regardless of your position on gay rights or gay marriage, what is your stance on the idea that we should tell other countries how to implement their laws? I get the impression the gay rights slant is being used as a launch board to justify poor foreign policy.

Hate to state the obvious, but if something like this truly upsets you, you would probably be happier in Russia or any of the myriad countries where homosexuality is illegal. Take a look, though they aren't exactly the most enlightened countries in the world, and many are under Muslim rule.

81 countries where homosexuality is illegal | 76 CRIMES

Old 07-04-2014, 07:08 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hate to state the obvious, but if something like this truly upsets you, you would probably be happier in Russia or any of the myriad countries where homosexuality is illegal. Take a look, though they aren't exactly the most enlightened countries in the world, and many are under Muslim rule.

81 countries where homosexuality is illegal | 76 CRIMES
It's so funny how people keep focusing on the homosexuality aspect of this, when culture is so much more than that. Hate to state the obvious, but most Americans wouldn't like having another country tell us how to run our society and policies...there is a habit of us "penning" various things, such as the Rights of the Child, or the UDHR, yet we as a country don't want to abide by what we pen. If we can't even do that, what business do we have telling other countries what to do?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Our own lesser inadequacies in that regard do not negate our moral responsibility to affirm and promote the dignity and worth of other human beings where such inadequacies are more profound, even though you personally may find yourself with more profound inadequacies in this regard than other Americans.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow, comparing the promotion of aberrant sexual behavior with a product that another county produces and promotes is beyond the pale.

--

On a semi-related subject I was shocked to see on my Comcast home page a link on page 1 with the acronym for homosexuals and their various sub groups[LGBT]. I called to complain and say if they wanted to "support" that groups behavior, do it on one of the back pages, not the front page where I or my family must see it. Comcast is looking into whether they can remove it from my front page, but declared that it will only be there for a few more days anyway. I asked why, and supposedly it is there because June is homosexual month.
Since when did our country start promoting groups based on their sexual behavior and giving them a month in recognition of it.
I bet, once the operator told the rest of the call center that the laughter roared through the place. Seriously? You actually called to complain about the acronym? Seriously?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The dems are such phonies lol, alot of them are still don't like gay people or believe in gay marriage but they're just using this to get votes and be on the right side
Really? My congressman is gay. He's a Democrat. My two US Senators (Whitehouse and Reed) are Democrats, and rock-solidly pro-equality.

Of course, you're right -- being pro-equality is the right place to be.

There are currently six LGBT member of the House. Guess how many are Republican? No, c'mon, guess!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It's so funny how people keep focusing on the homosexuality aspect of this, when culture is so much more than that. Hate to state the obvious, but most Americans wouldn't like having another country tell us how to run our society and policies...there is a habit of us "penning" various things, such as the Rights of the Child, or the UDHR, yet we as a country don't want to abide by what we pen. If we can't even do that, what business do we have telling other countries what to do?
So I guess you were equally outraged when the US has invaded other countries to attempt to democratize them or by Christian and Mormon missionaries going to other countries to push their religion on others. Did you let everyone know at the time how outrageous that behavior is, or did you wait until Joe Biden made a statement you deemed offensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events