U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,802,049 times

Advertisements

Myths about Ebola confronted, I highly recommend watching this video.

Five myths about the Ebola virus - Videos - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,996,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Bacteria and viruses are not interchangeable. Bacteria can survive for months, in some cases years and decades outside of a host. Viruses are unable to reproduce without a host and typically survive for a matter of hours. Huge difference there. But don't let that get in the way of some good old fashioned fearmongering.
In the case of ebola it can survive for days. That is why they are cremating bodies and burning the clothes.

Ebola virus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Um....in fact, no hospital in the U.S or elsewhere "could likely treat a patient with ebola...." because there is no treatment. Those missionaries are being sent back to the U.S. because they're both American citizens, and they'll be isolated.

There is no treatment for ebola, and victims can only be quarantined so that it's contained. Period. I haven't seen anyone "panic," but the concern is real and not unreasonable. Let's not confuse those two things.

Your answer is not really accurate. It's by no means a mainstream option but plasmapheresis is how doctors and other healthcare workers were treated for Ebola in the past. Even back in 1976, plasma from nuns who survived the disease as developed rapidly as a last-ditch sort of treatment which ended up helping to saving the lives of a couple of doctors.

Treatment of Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever with Blood Transfusions from Convalescent Patients

The 20-Year-Old Ebola Treatment That Could Stop the Outbreak

Which is exactly what it appears that they are doing in the case of this doctor.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tex...269466711.html

Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the case of ebola it can survive for days. That is why they are cremating bodies and burning the clothes.

Ebola virus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets

In a corpse, sure. In blood soaked clothing, also possible.

But on typical fomites? On a table, a chair...etc? The risk would be minimal, especially in warmer areas where the high heat rapidly degrades its ability to infect.

Assessment of the risk of Ebola virus transmiss... [J Infect Dis. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

The moral of the story is anytime you're going to be handling a corpse, wear gloves.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,084,962 times
Quote:
None of that has in any actual basis in reality. Ebola, prior to becoming symptomatic, is nearly impossible to transmit. Its not like the flu where you can infect others before ever showing symptoms. Its just hyperbole-driven fantasy.

Personally I'd be far more concerned about catching MRSA from cutting myself while at the gym or grocery store.

I hope you are right, but I was relying my information from WHO website.

"Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids".

And it was explained that sweat and tears are included. (This is not your old HIV virus!)

I might be wrong as there are alot of rumor and myths swirling around. but that was what I got from WHO website. But, I am also open to any enlightenment since I am not really in medical field.
I am going to watch the 5 myths about Ebola from CBS from the other post now...

Old 08-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Dr. Peter Piot, who might have some of the most extensive direct contact with Ebola of any living person on this planet, decades of experience with the disease, a doctor who helped to discover Ebola, had this to say:

Quote:
"I wouldn't be worried to sit next to someone with Ebola virus on the Tube as long as they don't vomit on you or something," Piot said. "This is an infection that requires very close contact."

How Ebola spreads: Important facts on disease transmission | syracuse.com

Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I hope you are right, but I was relying my information from WHO website.

"Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids".

And it was explained that sweat and tears are included. (This is not your old HIV virus!)

I might be wrong as there are alot of rumor and myths swirling around. but that was what I got from WHO website. But, I am also open to any enlightenment since I am not really in medical field.
I am going to watch the 5 myths about Ebola from CBS from the other post now...

Once again, unless you are in close proximity to someone who is already symptomatic, you don't have anything to worry about. If you're in the U.S., you have basically nothing to worry about as far as Ebola goes. Worry about MRSA, worry about Chikungunya virus which is spreading throughout the U.S. pretty extensively and is painful as hell, worry about Lyme which can result in lifelong complications but a highly exotic disease that largely only spreads in third world nations is not something worth staying awake at night over.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,310,098 times
Default ebola

ABC news reports a Tennessee doctor who was evacuated from Liberia is in quarantine right now. He returned home to Morristown, TN. He worked at the same hospital as the two infected Americans. He said that Dr. Brantley was very careful with hygiene precautions.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 PM

For those who really want to learn about Ebola, the book "Ebola" by Dr William T Close is excellent. Its a great read and want something a tad more realistic than "The Hot Zone", I highly recommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Ebola-Dr-Willi...+william+close

Another outstanding book that while a bit older, is still a fantastic(if not rather long) read, is "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett. Stunningly well researched, high quality read that everyone had a copy of back when I was doing my undergrad.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Coming-Pla...92PP0T605KJXCB

Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,084,962 times
Quote:
Once again, unless you are in close proximity to someone who is already symptomatic, you don't have anything to worry about. If you're in the U.S., you have basically nothing to worry about as far as Ebola goes. Worry about MRSA, worry about Chikungunya virus which is spreading throughout the U.S. pretty extensively and is painful as hell, worry about Lyme which can result in lifelong complications but a highly exotic disease that largely only spreads in third world nations is not something worth staying awake at night over.
I watched the video and it did not address whether indirect contact with bodily fluids is a way of transmission.
Anyway, thanks for the info / enlightment.
And no I won't worry about it

And about the other diseases you mentioned, I would not even want to google them. LOL! Too much concern already as is.
Now I am just going to go back watching cute puppies on youtube and vines compilation for happy thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or