U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 AM

8,307 posts, read 8,589,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I agree with Donald Trump - I do not believe they should be bringing back those two people to america while they still have Ebola.

OK so someone above said not to worry, but what if there is an "oops" something happens they were not expecting. and now Ebola has been released into the USA where it was not before.

I think it is stupid to bring these two Ebola victims to Amerca before they've been cured. Why did they bring them here? Could they have treated them where they were? Why did they do it? I see no sense in it. Unless its the stupid egotistical need for scientists to say Yay we were the 1st scientists to combat ebola in the usa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't care. I don't want ebola in my country.
Rather than engaging in hysteria, you might read these Q&A's from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) about Ebola. The gist of it is that it:

1. Is not transmitted through the air.

2. You can't get it from someone without symptoms.

3. You can't get it through food and water.

4. There are no cases currently in the US except for the doctor who just returned.

Have you considered the idea that perhaps its illegal to not allow an American citizen who has legally left this country to return to it? We Americans have the right to return to our country. If we are sick, the government can require us to be quarantined and kept in a medical facility until we no longer pose a danger to others. However, we can't be kept from returning to our own country.

Donald Trump is a stark raving lunatic in my book. He refused to accept that the President was a citizen of this country even after he produced his birth certificate. If you want to take his word over that of the CDC, be my guest.

Q & A on Ebola | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM

8,440 posts, read 10,721,523 times
Post Dr. Gupta 's Thoughts

Dr. Gupta, CNN, talks about when Ebola will infect globally someday. But, those countries are prepared.
Gupta: We're going to see Ebola around the world – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

MSR

Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Nebraska Medical Center's 10 Bed Contamination Unit to be Reviewed

A second U.S. hospital, Nebraska Medical Center 10 bed containment unit, to be reviewed as another facility if needed to treat patients in U.S. It is the largest containment unit in the U.S.
Feds want on-site look at Nebraska Medical Center's biocontainment unit | Local News - Home

MSR

Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

11,970 posts, read 10,769,762 times
There was no African Hospital who could treat? While very noble this is a mistake.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The precautions taken by medical personnel treatinging Ebola would indicate that the disease is significantly more contagious that you believe. One does not have to wear a clean suit in order to avoid contact with bodily fluids; a dentist is dressed for that. These pictures depict people taking significant measures to avoid contamination.

doctors wear treating ebola - Google Search

You may technically be correct in saying that the virus is not "airborne" if you mean it doesn't float around on its own. However, as experiments have shown, it is highly contagious when transmitted in aerosol form as might occur in sneezing or coughing.
Lethal experimental infections of rhesus mo... [Int J Exp Pathol. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
Good information Glenfield. Thanks for posting and please post any updates.

MSR

Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,020,804 times
I'd imagine that most African hospitals in the vicinity are already dealing with too many Ebola cases. I don't have any problems with the two infected American's being brought home; I'm sure that every precaution is being taken to prevent Ebola's spread.

I'm more concerned about someone who is already sick on a flight, who might be spreading it to Europe and then consequently to other countries, although the CDC has said that steps are being taken to prevent that (i.e. isolating any airplanes with sick passengers, etc.).

This isn't something that's keeping me awake at night. I am angry, though. I've been following this for at least two or three months; more aid should have been sent then to contain this outbreak before things got to this point.

Unfortunately, the media here in the U.S. only care if something happens to Americans. It's along the same lines as an airplane crash: "348 people were killed, including two Americans." This implies that the other 346 people are less valuable and important.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times
Viruses mutate to survive. With the ebola patients here in the US, the CDC, DOD and whoever is doing research on this and drugs to attack it have much better conditions.

Eventually ebola will leave Africa. Sawyer proved it is but one plane ride away.

I think this proactive move is better than saying no and one day have to be doing reactive moves.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM

I heard that POTUS said they are taking temperatures at airports. even WHO says that is just silly. Guess he got the chinese version of the memo.

What really will happen is that cases will occur. and some will occur in clusters in other countries despite best efforts to prevent it. HT says it well Viruses want to survive. Its us vs. them.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:03 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times
Look at it this way..do you want our government medical teams to be proactive or reactive to this ?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 AM

I would put WHO in control and take it out of the political arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or