U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,277,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm only providing a news article for you.
I am not sure if I rubbed you the wrong way. I am trying to figure out the concern over bringing a patient to the US with as many precautions as US medicine and government can provide, but not wonder if the passengers have shown symptoms after traveling with these two individuals (like Sawyer). I asked you because you said all it takes is an oopsie. I think traveling with Sawyer is more than an oopsie.

Quote:
I dont want this to happen - I dont care how careful everyone is - all it takes is one oopsie or one thing that they being very careful - neglected to check or forgot to check or whatever -

Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight - Mirror Online

Last edited by elyn02; 08-04-2014 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,041,333 times
Quote:
I dont want this to happen - I dont care how careful everyone is - all it takes is one oopsie or one thing that they being very careful - neglected to check or forgot to check or whatever -

Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight - Mirror Online
And direct from the article: At around 11pm on Sunday, the Department of Health said that tests for the deadly Ebola virus on the woman who died at Gatwick had proved negative.

Yeah, it's a real concern when there is international travel happening from infected areas, but the doomsday alarmism going on is tiresome. Ebola would have to seriously, seriously mutate to make it so dangerous that simply remaining confined within your own home until the threat passed wouldn't be enough to keep you safe.

In fact, it's the doomsday alarmists you'd have to fear more than Ebola as they break into your home to scavenge for supplies to see out "the end of the world as we know it."

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM

5,492 posts, read 5,220,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am not sure if I rubbed you the wrong way. I am trying to figure out the concern over bringing a patient to the US with as many precautions as US medicine and government can provide, but not wonder if the passengers have shown symptoms after traveling with these two individuals (like Sawyer). I asked you because you said all it takes is an oopsie. I think traveling with Sawyer is more than an oopsie.
I'm basically concerned (and Donald Trump said it likewise) that once you bring ebola on US soil, you now have provided an entryway where it was once a faraway disease. Now, I understand that a person traveling on a plane could also bring it here unknowingly, but this seems to be opening up a pandoras box unnecessarily. why did they have to do this? I don't get it.

There is always a first time for a pandemic to begin. oftentimes it is by mistake or unknowingly. Why knowingly bring something here?

Why bring it here? Why?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,041,333 times
Quote:
I'm basically concerned (and Donald Trump said it likewise) that once you bring ebola on US soil, you now have provided an entryway where it was once a faraway disease. Now, I understand that a person traveling on a plane could also bring it here unknowingly, but this seems to be opening up a pandoras box unnecessarily. why did they have to do this? I don't get it.

There is always a first time for a pandemic to begin. oftentimes it is by mistake or unknowingly. Why knowingly bring something here?

Why bring it here? Why?
Ebola has already been here in labs studying infectious diseases for a very long time. This isn't the first time it's entered the country.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,713,756 times
Quote:
Where is your source that Ebola is now spreading in the US. Also, did other people get infected from Sawyer (the people who were in the same flight as him)?
It's still too soon to know, as it takes about three weeks to develop symptoms.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,157,398 times
Ebola is being studied in monkeys in Galveston -> One article about it As others have said, the disease is already in the US, and in a major city, in a teaching hospital.

The Emory university isolation unit where the two healthcare workers are being taken was designed to care for CDC employees who had been exposed to nasty contagious diseases (like SARS)in their research. The people caring for them at Emory volunteered for the task. NYT source

Writebol had worked in the African hospital helping to decontaminate other medical staff after they had been in the Ebola wards. That sounds like quite a risky job. per USNews

Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM

41,093 posts, read 32,773,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And what happens when someone sneezes on a plane or at airport?
Also, think about how small the area is inside a plane. Think about someone getting up and down and dragging themselves along the aisle, hanging on to each seat as he/she passes each passenger on the way to the bathroom. Think about how small the bathroom is and how messy severe diarrhea and vomiting can be. Think about that passenger coming back through the cabin, touching the seats again to steady himself.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I don't feel comfortable with that scenario. And don't even get me started on how it would feel to be sitting next to someone while they threw up blood into a little bag.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 AM

39,075 posts, read 23,178,974 times
Quote:
Where is your source that Ebola is now spreading in the US. Also, did other people get infected from Sawyer (the people who were in the same flight as him)?
The incubation period is up to three weeks, so we still don't know if any of the people who were on the plane with Sawyer are infected. The doctor who took care of him in Nigeria has evidently been infected, and three of the other caretakers who attended Sawyer may have been infected.

Nigeria Confirms Doctor as 2nd Ebola Case - ABC News

Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 8,694,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
As we've seen in Africa, it's contagious enough to infect doctors and aid workers who took all the precautions. They sure weren't drinking patients' blood.
It is interesting that the same people who say not to worry about Ebola and that it is near impossible to contract it are speaking from inside a space suite themselves.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM

3,310 posts, read 4,848,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

One of the most fascinating parts to many, including me, about H1N1 is it also seemed to infect young and healthy let alone pregnant women. There are varying theories as why those groups were at risk.
One theory is that many older adults (people over the age of 30) had been exposed to or gotten the flu in the epidemic of 1889 and therefore had some immunity to the 1918 pandemic and were not as hard hit as younger members. Additionally many young people from a lot of European nations were in military service in crowded conditions and less than normal sanitation and so it resulted in a higher rate of exposure than if many of those young people were at home, often in rather rural agricultural communities that were more isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or