U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM

44,475 posts, read 35,935,681 times

Advertisements

Now a man is being tested for Ebola in Saudi Arabia:

Saudi Arabia Tests Man Suspected of Having Ebola - ABC News

He recently traveled to Sierra Leone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,550,889 times
Would you trust a media for the truth? Biowar...what a way to kill millions without firing a shot. Is this why the Homeland Security and Social security agencies have been stockpiling weapons and ammo? Just another thought for a really good book. No fear mongering and we will contain it. I will not be flying anywhere for a while and this could hurt the airline industry, but oh well.
But if it made it to London, it could be in N.Y.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,098,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Would you trust a media for the truth? Biowar...what a way to kill millions without firing a shot. Is this why the Homeland Security and Social security agencies have been stockpiling weapons and ammo? Just another thought for a really good book. No fear mongering and we will contain it. I will not be flying anywhere for a while and this could hurt the airline industry, but oh well.
But if it made it to London, it could be in N.Y.
It didn't make it to London. The woman that collapsed at Gatwick and later died tested negative for Ebola.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM

14,047 posts, read 6,374,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually, I am not paranoid about this Ebola thing. I am REALISTIC about it. My husband and I fly a lot. The conditions are very crowded and often there is a line formed at the bathroom. Throw in a little turbulence and motion sickness and vomit and diarrhea and things can get messy pretty quickly.

My husband used to work in West Africa. Nearly every time he came home, he had some sort of bug - which he then passed to me. We were sick so often it was ridiculous - and as soon as he stopped working over there, we went YEARS without being sick. He's been quarantined, isolated, had to take more vaccinations than most people could imagine, and he's also found out that malaria pills make him nearly as sick as malaria makes him.

If I was "vulnerable to the news media" I'd be worried about passing through DFW and Pittsburgh airports a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not. Still - it makes me pause and think about how easy it would be to come in contact with a stranger's body fluids, especially if they were suddenly and violently ill - which is what often happens with Ebola.
He no longer works there, is that correct? This over concern about ebola here is a direct result of the media hyping it up & people falling for it.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,218,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
He no longer works there, is that correct? This over concern about ebola here is a direct result of the media hyping it up & people falling for it.
You are mistaken that anyone concerned is all overhyped by the media. I read all news - hate videos and TV news - and from very select sources.

The isolation of the past that held crazy virulent strains back from continent wide or worldwide proliferation is gone. Can you honestly say that we aren't at higher risk now that Ebola is being found in African cities (from whence flights take off) rather than the bush?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Right - after bringing home a wide variety of oddball illnesses from Africa, as well as being quarantined and isolated several times, and a very bad reaction to malaria pills, after eleven years of working in West Africa, he finally said "To hell with this."

Oh, and westerners being kidnapped in Nigeria helped make his decision a lot easier too!

Africa is a very weird place. I can't tell you how glad I am that he no longer works over there.

That being said, I'm not paranoid about ebola. I'm not freaked out - I'm just interested. Having been the "victim" of several African illnesses and pestilences brought home by my husband over the years, this sort of thing gets my attention.

Also, though he no longer works in Africa, both of us do use air travel a lot - he flies through international airports at least twice a month, and I do several times a year. We travel internationally. So yeah - I'm tracking this. I think that's the wise thing to do.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Ebola outbreak: BA suspends flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia over virus - Telegraph

British Airways just canceled all flights to and from Liberia and Sierra Leone till August 31.

Emirates and Pan Africa Airlines have also suspended service to those areas. All other airlines are carrying on normal service.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,818,712 times
What is the harm, I wonder, in being scared to death of Ebola making a beachhead in the U.S.? One could argue that if doctors catch it and die from it that it is an enemy worth fearing. Anyone who says otherwise on the Internet likely doesn't actually think that way, but such is the nature of the Net that this kind of trash talk will happen anytime there is something worth taking up the contrarian viewpoint about.

It may be, that the assumptions that are being made in nearly every post in this thread are obsolete? I mean... ... IF it is true that Ebola can only be transmitted through bodily fluid exposure how is it that highly trained American medical personnel in state of the art protective gear are falling ill? I don't know the answer, but maybe, just maybe, its time to stop taking comfort in what might have been and cease the spouting of same obsolete talking points and instead, taking a new closer look at what really is raging in West Africa.

This is a teachable moment. The lessons learned here can and will be useful when something else for which there is no cure gets totally out of control. My ex lost a very good job with a major pharmaceutical company because they shut down her research department. The unofficial but independently verified explanation is that the company wanted to throw more company resources at marketing their erectile dysfunction drug. ED drugs are more expensive than many cancer and AIDS drugs. Antibiotics, arguably about the only pharmaceuticals that actually work are being discontinued so that Big Pharma can throw all their weight at the health crisis of the Century. Male erectile dysfunction.

Seems to me that this is being done to make sure there is an ample supply of underclass to lord over, but I think at least as much attention should be paid to keeping that underclass alive! There should have been a cure for Ebola by now. It is tantamount to criminal depraved indifference that there isn't.

H

Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,939,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What is the harm, I wonder, in being scared to death of Ebola making a beachhead in the U.S.? One could argue that if doctors catch it and die from it that it is an enemy worth fearing. Anyone who says otherwise on the Internet likely doesn't actually think that way, but such is the nature of the Net that this kind of trash talk will happen anytime there is something worth taking up the contrarian viewpoint about.

It may be, that the assumptions that are being made in nearly every post in this thread are obsolete? I mean... ... IF it is true that Ebola can only be transmitted through bodily fluid exposure how is it that highly trained American medical personnel in state of the art protective gear are falling ill?

Because they weren't wearing "state of the art protective gear." Because every medical professional, no matter how well trained, is still a human and when you are exposed to the infected, day in and day out, your probability of becoming infected becomes substantially higher, regardless of what protection you might use. "To err is to be human." Doctors make mistakes, nurses make mistakes, sometimes its merely an inevitability when you're operating out of third world medical facilities with third world equipment and protection. Its the risk that these folks take on each and every single day.

Its kind of ironic that in your attempt to condemn assumptions, you seem to be making quite a few of your own.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,939,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so lets see, the two people being transported to Atlanta, with ebola, are in isolation, (in glass enclosed rooms). okey dokey.

How are their bodily fluids treated/contained? will they eventually enter into the city's sewer system, to be comingled with the rest of the water system and eventually end up in your drinking water?

since ebola is transferred by bodily fluids, what if someone leaves sweat on a bus seat and the next passenger sits there and catches ebola?

You all should read your state's Disciplinary Data Base. It is a record of all the licensed professionals that were caught - that were doing things against their license, you should read how much patients are mishandled. These are FACTS. Go to your state government website, and look at it. Lets see, you will read about how someone mishandled a patient's medicine, their person, etc. it shows that an oopsie CAN HAPPEN. And will happen.

better get your prayers in order and make sure you are ready to meet your maker.

None of what you wrote has even the slightest basis in reality. Before commenting on things which you clearly have no understanding of, maybe taking a basic microbiology course would help set your mind at ease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or