U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
People forget that "bodily fluids" refer to tears, saliva and mucus, in addition to urine, blood, feces, breast milk and semen.

If an infected male (or female) uses the restroom and leaves drops of urine on the toilet seat, there is the potential for infection. Same with saliva and mucus left on a door handle.
And don't forget sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM

784 posts, read 1,631,700 times
sigh. clearly regardless of what anyone says...people have their own opinion and fear. That's perfectly acceptable. Its better to be hypervigilent and cautious, than do nothing and take unnecessary risks...but please don't translate that into misinfomation and inducing fear in others.

I'm waiting to see you all commuting in bubbles now from here on out. I mean, we've had much more deadly viruses and bacteria circling the streets for years now...yet here you are (weird right?) still alive, still healthy, still posting, and i'm doubting you've been confined to a negative pressure room this entire time.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 PM

40,879 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Patrick Sawyer died before he ever got that far. He was actively showing signs of the virus while flying. As far as I can tell, nobody from that flight was quarantined.

NY has had 6 people tested for ebola so far that we know about. Only one patient is in isolation. It's been over 24 hours for the patient in isolation; I thought the test results would be available within 24 hours but maybe I am wrong on that.
Yesterday, the CDC and the hospital in NY said that they would release the results of the man's test THIS MORNING. No news yet.

I'm not panicking at all - I've just noted the discrepancy in regard to the timeline.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
If it can be spread through bodily fluids, can a mosquito pass it if it bites an infected person? It would be interesting to know this since many an African disease (i.e. malaria, chagas, west nile) has been spread this way...

Also, what about rivers, sanitation and water sources? Is the virus able to survive long outside it host? If it can be spread via urine and feces, it could be through contaminated water sources.
It can survive for several days in either liquid or dried form, on things like bedding, clothing, sinks, chairs, etc. I don't know about water.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
I mean, we've had much more deadly viruses and bacteria circling the streets for years now...yet here you are (weird right?) still alive, still healthy, still posting, and i'm doubting you've been confined to a negative pressure room this entire time.
No, but I've gotten the stomach flu in spite of being extremely hyper-vigilant about it (I had it before from my husband and it traumatized me to the extent I never wanted to go through it again - can you guess why ebola scares me?). I wash my hands religiously, I never eat or touch my face without washing my hands first, I use paper towels to close taps and doors in public restrooms, and I wasn't knowingly around any sick people or close to anyone at all. Yet I somehow got it - my guess is a water glass at a take-out restaurant (me and my husband both ate the food but only I had water and I got sick so it wasn't the food). The fact that I could do everything 'right' and still get a virus that's only spread fecal-orally suggests that it's not that easy to avoid, outside of isolating yourself at home with no outside contact.
And unlike noro which is only spread through fecal matter or vomiting, ebola is spread through all bodily fluids including sweat so it's much more difficult to avoid.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

I dont mean to simply downplay risks..if it arises in the big cities...yes some people are going to be in trouble and we will have a problem on our hands. But it will not end the world or cause mass extinctions.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
I dont mean to simply downplay risks..if it arises in the big cities...yes some people are going to be in trouble and we will have a problem on our hands. But it will not end the world or cause mass extinctions.
No, I don't think it will either. That's not my concern. My concern is having to face even a very small risk of contracting it. The symptoms of this disease terrify me so much that I hate the idea of even have to think, read, or worry about it at all. These things are the reason I would never ever travel to a third world country for anything - and I sure as hell don't want to see this anywhere in the vicinity of myself or my family, not even on the same continent. I'm a NIMBY about this all the way.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,302,723 times
Ohio has a patient currently being tested for ebola.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:25 PM

I'll be in Africa next year for a humanitarian mission Hopefully not west africa haha

Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Ohio has a patient currently being tested for ebola.
That patient's test came back negative, thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or