U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,974 posts, read 30,099,328 times
Reputation: 15904

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Try some intellectual honesty. How many of those 627,000 malaria victims died in First World countries with easy access to anti-malarial treatments?
maybe im missing something because I just jumped in but how many ebola victims died in first world countries with easy access to treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,306,782 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe im missing something because I just jumped in but how many ebola victims died in first world countries with easy access to treatment?
Name a first class country suffering an Ebola outbreak and I'll answer you.

While you are at it, please describe this Ebola treatment you speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 PM
 
784 posts, read 1,686,209 times
Reputation: 632
You just made his point...its not in first world countries. Yet its been around half a century.

On that note im going to have to bow out of this Convo. It is not possible to continue debate and dialogue with those not comprehending the sciences behind it yet simply discounting remarks from those that do.

Too many armchair quarterbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Maui County, HI
4,131 posts, read 6,286,692 times
Reputation: 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did you read the article? It actually confirms what Juram has already told us:

They found virus in saliva, breast milk, stool, semen, and tears.

Only one saliva specimen contained culturable virus. Eight were positive for genetic material only, suggesting that saliva inactivates the virus and prevents it from being able to replicate.

The virus appears to persist in breast milk and semen well after convalescence. Survivors need to abstain from breast feeding (at least some weeks) and sexual activity (3 months) after they recover.

They did not find virus in urine and only one skin sample was positive. No sample of vomit, sweat, or sputum was positive. A single body louse was negative.

"Other than in samples grossly contaminated with blood, EBOV was not found by any method on environmental surfaces and by RT-PCR on the skin of only 1 patient. These results suggest that environmental contamination and fomites are not frequent modes of transmission, at least in an isolation ward."

This was a small study and there was logistical difficulty in handling the samples, which had to be transferred to the CDC. Yes, they sent ebola to the US! In the year 2000!

Juram has already posted a much larger study showing us that contacts who get sick have actually had physical contact with an ebola victim. Just living in the same household does not appear to be a risk factor.



Yes, the high death rate limits the spread.

New HIV infections are up a bit in men who have sex with men, but they are down in IV drug users and heterosexuals. That means we need to ramp up education in the gay community. It does not mean that effective treatment of HIV has allowed the virus to change in some way in order to spread more easily. Otherwise, the incidence would be up in all populations. How HIV spreads is much more dependent on the behavior of people who carry it than on characteristics of the virus itself.
But we don't know if the culturable amount is the same as the amount required to cause infection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,306,782 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
You just made his point...its not in first world countries. Yet its been around half a century.
I don't know why I need to keep repeating this... Ebola outbreaks have historically occurred in remote regions of Africa with little or no infrastructure. This is why it has never (yet) made it to the First World; it is difficult for the disease to migrate when the host dies long before he or she could ever be transported to an airport.

Unfortunately, this time around the outbreak is occurring in more populated areas where victims can make it to airports before showing progressed symptoms. Why do you think the CDC has been tracking suspected cases coming out of Africa on international flights? Couple that with the fact that foreign aid workers are falling sick despite taking all precautions to avoid infection, and we have the potential for a real life pandemic on our hands. People aren't dropping dead from Ebola because Africa lacks proper treatment facilities for them, they are dropping dead because this particular infection is highly lethal and currently has no cure.

That being said, you can continue to insinuate that the rest of us are idiots for being concerned whilst you choose to stick your head in the sand. However, that doesn't make you seem any more intellectual than the genius who suggested Ebola is far less dangerous than a treatable case of malaria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,274 posts, read 28,076,984 times
Reputation: 28732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If Ebola "doesn't spread that easily where public hygiene is good" how is it that doctors that wear HAZMAT suits and take every precaution to avoid infection are developing the disease?
They are not wearing HAZMAT suits. The protective gear is fairly primitive: Gown, hood, goggles, gloves that look like your mother's Playtex Living Gloves, rubber boots, and duct tape.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...e-460x276.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But we don't know if the culturable amount is the same as the amount required to cause infection
The point is that even under primitive conditions environmental surfaces are not teeming with ebola. Actual tracing of contacts who get sick shows they have actually touched ebola victims, not just been in the same room with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,936,646 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are not wearing HAZMAT suits. The protective gear is fairly primitive: Gown, hood, goggles, gloves that look like your mother's Playtex Living Gloves, rubber boots, and duct tape.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...e-460x276.jpeg



The point is that even under primitive conditions environmental surfaces are not teeming with ebola. Actual tracing of contacts who get sick shows they have actually touched ebola victims, not just been in the same room with them.

I think you posted this link yesterday, if so, I apologize for ripping it off.


Why I Don't Worry About Contracting Ebola: In Pictures - I Speak of Dreams


Setting for caring for Ebola patients in Africa.




Setting for caring for Ebola patients in the U.S.





How protective garments are prepared for re-use in Africa








How protective garments are prepared for.........well actually they get tossed into an autoclave to destroy any existing microorganisms....or they just get incinerated.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Seattle
555 posts, read 659,191 times
Reputation: 495
Default Ebola and US Epidemic Threats

With the recent concern over Ebola patients arriving at US hospitals, the threat of epidemics, spread either by natural means or introduced by terroristic or other agenda-driven means has come up for discussion.

What seems to be overlooked is how easily any of these situations can be brought about; and one need only look at most major cities. Where would be the most logical place for a pandemic to originate?

The answer is that it could originate among a population that is already full of high-risk disease carriers and intermingles with the general population: in other words, the bums (or in PC parlance, the 'homeless').

It's not a difficult scenario to imagine at all. Municipal governments are unwilling to control this population---a population living in revolting sanitary conditions and infesting every public space used by the general population. For example, a terrorist could easily introduce a contagious pathogen among this vile group: they contaminate one another in the bum jungles and food banks, spread out over a city and contaminate normal people and move from city to city without being traced. It wouldn't take much more than half-dozen such intentional contaminations in cities with high bum populations to initiate a nationwide pandemic.

This situation isn't without historical precedent; the typhoid epidemics of the 1890s were spread across the US continent by 'transients'.

In light of the seriousness of the Ebola pandemic, maybe municipal governments should start considering whether their 'tolerance' may not have serious consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,936,646 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
With the recent concern over Ebola patients arriving at US hospitals, the threat of epidemics, spread either by natural means or introduced by terroristic or other agenda-driven means has come up for discussion.

What seems to be overlooked is how easily any of these situations can be brought about; and one need only look at most major cities. Where would be the most logical place for a pandemic to originate?

The answer is that it could originate among a population that is already full of high-risk disease carriers and intermingles with the general population: in other words, the bums (or in PC parlance, the 'homeless').

It's not a difficult scenario to imagine at all. Municipal governments are unwilling to control this population---a population living in revolting sanitary conditions and infesting every public space used by the general population. For example, a terrorist could easily introduce a contagious pathogen among this vile group: they contaminate one another in the bum jungles and food banks, spread out over a city and contaminate normal people and move from city to city without being traced. It wouldn't take much more than half-dozen such intentional contaminations in cities with high bum populations to initiate a nationwide pandemic.

This situation isn't without historical precedent; the typhoid epidemics of the 1890s were spread across the US continent by 'transients'.

In light of the seriousness of the Ebola pandemic, maybe municipal governments should start considering whether their 'tolerance' may not have serious consequences.


So exactly what solution are you proposing here? Criminalize the homeless? Dump them on someone else's lawn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM
 
579 posts, read 1,055,168 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if they could just find that monkey, they could make a vaccine that will cure everyone with ebola!
But first they'd need to commandeer a helicopter, get Mrs. Pananides to use her Coast Guard boyfriend to locate the ship Ty Cook, crash the news-anchor desk with vital monkey information and a reachable phone number, then use a small girl with an apple as bait to lure the monkey. After THAT, then yes, they can make the Ebola vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top