U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM

22,679 posts, read 28,568,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Good lord. There is no "coincidence". The outbreak is happening in West Africa because that's where the virus originates. You can take off the tin-foil helmet now. There is no conspiracy here.

As for the seriousness of the outbreak, the WHO has just declared Ebola an 'international emergency' that will require "an extraordinary response to stop its spread."

That doesn't sound quite as harmless as some posters here would have you believe.
what conspiracy do you think im promoting? they are more susceptible to the disease due to their lack of sanitation and proper health care.

good for the WHO. who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM

11,970 posts, read 10,765,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what conspiracy do you think im promoting? they are more susceptible to the disease due to their lack of sanitation and proper health care.

good for the WHO. who cares?
I do...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 AM

9,594 posts, read 9,427,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
With 30+ years of being warned against 'blood contact' since the AIDS epidemic, nobody in the USA is going to touch anybody's blood. And if you spend a lot of time coming into contact with the vomit and feces of strangers, you have more issues than just Ebola. Our dead tend to die in hospitals, not at home. They are tended by professionals in the funeral industry, not by Aunt Sally and Cousin Sue.

I do wish people would stop inventing nightmare scenarios and then reacting as if they were real.
Even in ice water in the veins, tough as nails NYC, total strangers drop and give mouth to mouth CPR to fallen strangers without thinking. Blood? Who said anything about blood? Bodily fluids. Sweat, saliva, vomitus... ... it is human nature to help the fallen and it is not always known what felled them. In fact it is usually not known what felled them. Doctors, nurses and other aid workers who knoew what they were dealing with have falen ill despite precautions. The only difference between here and there is that it is not here yet. I wonder how well the morticians will do given the challenges. I am far from being a gloom and doom alarmist, I just don't see why a healthy fear of something dangerous is a bad thing. America has some pretty jaw dropping overall well being and longevity stats for supposedly and enlightened First World Country. A little humility and, yes, fear, might improve our rankings internationally.

H

Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Quote:
With 30+ years of being warned against 'blood contact' since the AIDS epidemic, nobody in the USA is going to touch anybody's blood. And if you spend a lot of time coming into contact with the vomit and feces of strangers, you have more issues than just Ebola. Our dead tend to die in hospitals, not at home. They are tended by professionals in the funeral industry, not by Aunt Sally and Cousin Sue.

I do wish people would stop inventing nightmare scenarios and then reacting as if they were real.
It's not just blood, it's all bodily fluids and organs. Ebola is infectious for as long as it remains in the body even if symptoms are asymptomatic. It can take up to three weeks before signs of infection are evident and it can remain for up to two months after the patient has recovered.

Quarantine is a good way to stop the spread but what concerns me most is the shear number of people who are simply not courteous when it comes time to "having a cold". Sure, some people cannot afford to miss a day of work, but seriously, the amount of people who do go to work or venture outside in times of cold/flu/etc. is astounding. Back in the day people had no idea how deceases spread, which is one reason why epidemics of such typical things such as influenza were so disastrous back in those days. But now we know, and now we have over-the-counter medicines that allow someone with "flu-like symptoms" to go to work. The irony is that people would become sick a heckofalot less often if those who were sick did the right thing and stayed home.

*end rant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, the strain is the Zaire strain.

Outbreak of Ebola in Guinea | Ebola | CDC
Yeah, realized that after I posted.

What I meant is that Ebola has an expected mortality rate of 90%. This current outbreak is the largest on record and the death rate is currently sitting at just above 50% with most of the survivors having been treated with "third world care". While that is definitely bad news, what I meant to convey in my post was that 50% is better than 90% (and 0% would be best of all). Hopefully this does not spread any further.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,406,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Even in ice water in the veins, tough as nails NYC, total strangers drop and give mouth to mouth CPR to fallen strangers without thinking. Blood? Who said anything about blood? Bodily fluids. Sweat, saliva, vomitus... ... it is human nature to help the fallen and it is not always known what felled them. In fact it is usually not known what felled them. Doctors, nurses and other aid workers who knoew what they were dealing with have falen ill despite precautions. The only difference between here and there is that it is not here yet. I wonder how well the morticians will do given the challenges. I am far from being a gloom and doom alarmist, I just don't see why a healthy fear of something dangerous is a bad thing. America has some pretty jaw dropping overall well being and longevity stats for supposedly and enlightened First World Country. A little humility and, yes, fear, might improve our rankings internationally.

H
You might look into what happens to a human body in the last stage of Ebola. They 'bleed-out'. It's not just someone fainting or dropping cleanly down from a heart-attack.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
The homeless are not a high risk population for ebola because they are unlikely to come into contact with it. The most likely way for it to come into the country is with an international traveler. Health care workers and families of victims are the high risk populations --- just like in Africa.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 AM

9,594 posts, read 9,427,321 times
Quote:
You might look into what happens to a human body in the last stage of Ebola. They 'bleed-out'. It's not just someone fainting or dropping cleanly down from a heart-attack.
Oh dear, how did I manage to miss a significant piece of information like that? Define "last stage". Patrick Sawyer collapsed, seemingly from fainting or a heart attack. When those two possibilities were ruled out, Malaria became the working diagnosis. 5 medical professionals treating him are known to be infected. One has died and this is old news by now. At least 70 people are believed to have contacted Sawyer since he obviously became ill. How many of them were in a position to be infected themselves? Assuming a best case 50% survival... how many will? How many of the infected have in turn infected others?

There are Americans who do not have Internet and they don't watch television. I am not talking about rural West Virginia. Something like Ebola loose in America could do a lot of damage before it burned itself out. And once here, we would have to assume it could, and would, periodically re-emerge from hiding in reservoir hosts. Africans come by their superstitions, distrust of Western medicine and their relative lack of infrastructure honestly. There is no excuse for Americans to be as superstitious, distrustful of Western medicine and our relative lack of infrastructure compared to the rest of the free world. America is the worst place Ebola could break out because anyone coming down with it can kiss their life savings good-bye! That more than anything else will keep people from seeking effective primary care.

H

Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,953,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
With the recent concern over Ebola patients arriving at US hospitals, the threat of epidemics, spread either by natural means or introduced by terroristic or other agenda-driven means has come up for discussion.

What seems to be overlooked is how easily any of these situations can be brought about; and one need only look at most major cities. Where would be the most logical place for a pandemic to originate?

The answer is that it could originate among a population that is already full of high-risk disease carriers and intermingles with the general population: in other words, the bums (or in PC parlance, the 'homeless').

It's not a difficult scenario to imagine at all. Municipal governments are unwilling to control this population---a population living in revolting sanitary conditions and infesting every public space used by the general population. For example, a terrorist could easily introduce a contagious pathogen among this vile group: they contaminate one another in the bum jungles and food banks, spread out over a city and contaminate normal people and move from city to city without being traced. It wouldn't take much more than half-dozen such intentional contaminations in cities with high bum populations to initiate a nationwide pandemic.

This situation isn't without historical precedent; the typhoid epidemics of the 1890s were spread across the US continent by 'transients'.

In light of the seriousness of the Ebola pandemic, maybe municipal governments should start considering whether their 'tolerance' may not have serious consequences.
You want to get scared of a REAL health threat? Try West Nile. It is spreading slowly but steadily across the US even as you read this. West Nile in the US is attacking birds in the same family as jays and crows and there's more crows out there than homeless. The mosquito is the vector (or carrier) of the virus. An infected mosquito can bite a crow which can fly many miles, get bit by another mosquito which then becomes infected and passes the virus along to all those mosquitoes breeding in a big puddle near your home. Mosquitoes like to bite mammals, as well, and that includes humans plus their pet dogs and cats. Two days ago I found 3 dead jays in my yard. I thought this was odd, so I called up my county health department. They told me to put the dead birds on ice and they came right out to collect them for testing. This morning they called me back and told me all 3 were positive for West Nile and there have been several outbreaks already in my county. Last year there were 2,469 cases of West Nile in the US. Of these, 119 people died from West Nile. The numbers are not yet in for 2014 since the year is only slightly more than half over.

There have been 4 cases of Ebola reported originating in the US -24 years ago in 1990 and no deaths.

According to Wiki on the 2014 Ebola Outbreak:
Bats are considered to be the most common natural reservoiror for the ebola virus ("natural reservoir" means that bats can carry the virus but do not die from it). Fruit bats leave behind partially eaten food which is then consumed by land animals which may then be eaten by humans. The potential for widespread EVD infections is considered low as the disease is only spread by direct contact with the secretions from someone who is showing signs of infection. The quick onset of symptoms makes it easier to identify sick individuals and limits a person's ability to spread the disease by traveling. However, street people whose passports show a recent excursion to either Guinea, Sierra Leone, or Liberia should be avoided just in case.

I suggest that you get rid of the bats in your belfry, your hatred of people who aren't just like you, and, at the very least, dream up some better biological warfare/conspiracy theories to post on the Internet. The Internet market for conspiracy theories is absolutely flooded these days and if you want your particular brand of hysteria to stand out over the others, you need to be extremely creative as well as have a good, logical scientific explanation that makes your scare story more plausible than all the others out there. Hating street people is not going to get you anything except a reputation as a hateful, mean-spirited person in general. Have you considered trying for re-incarnation as a concentration camp guard in Auschwitz?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,302,757 times
....and yet all those risks of it getting into the US, or any other country, could be simply and easily prevented if every other airline followed the example of British Airlines and a couple of the other smarter airlines, instilled a travel ban and stopped letting in flights from West Africa!! Infected health workers could be brought in under extremely strict conditions like the two in Atlanta but isn't it about time to stop regular, unregulated commercial air travel?? Ebola wouldn't make it over here if it wasn't for those!! Seriously, what's wrong with the governments!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times
Ok I'm not going to read all these pages but seriously wtf-sounds like another "bird flu" case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or