U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 02:13 PM

7,970 posts, read 11,614,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
If third-world nations like most of Africa and India weren't reproducing like rabbits in filth, destitution, and not having the basic needs met for the population they already have, the world would be in a much better place.
Zero contribution to the world, a drain on the global economy, overpopulation, disease, AIDS, and now ebola. Thank you Africa.
Well you could say the same about the conservative voting white welfare recipients here in the U.S. minus the ebola part

Personally I'm for zero population growth until we get back down to about half of where we are now worldwide but I don't see anyone giving up the joys of parenthood regardless of where they live, how poor or wealthy. Back in the 60s there was a movement for just 2 kids, replace yourself. I never hear of anyone considering that when thinking about having more kids. Frankly I rarely discussions that go beyond 'we want more' or 'we don't want more'. Sometimes its money but not that often. Eventually the planet will get to where China is. Its sort of inevitable.

Meanwhile the poor have just as much a right to parenthood as anyone else.

Last edited by Giesela; 08-09-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
With the recent concern over Ebola patients arriving at US hospitals, the threat of epidemics, spread either by natural means or introduced by terroristic or other agenda-driven means has come up for discussion.

What seems to be overlooked is how easily any of these situations can be brought about; and one need only look at most major cities. Where would be the most logical place for a pandemic to originate?

The answer is that it could originate among a population that is already full of high-risk disease carriers and intermingles with the general population: in other words, the bums (or in PC parlance, the 'homeless').

It's not a difficult scenario to imagine at all. Municipal governments are unwilling to control this population---a population living in revolting sanitary conditions and infesting every public space used by the general population. For example, a terrorist could easily introduce a contagious pathogen among this vile group: they contaminate one another in the bum jungles and food banks, spread out over a city and contaminate normal people and move from city to city without being traced. It wouldn't take much more than half-dozen such intentional contaminations in cities with high bum populations to initiate a nationwide pandemic.

This situation isn't without historical precedent; the typhoid epidemics of the 1890s were spread across the US continent by 'transients'.

In light of the seriousness of the Ebola pandemic, maybe municipal governments should start considering whether their 'tolerance' may not have serious consequences.
Wow, just wow. "Bum jungles"? WTF. I hardly think that there is evidence that the homeless are or will be some sort of epicenter of any future epidemic. For one thing they don't travel near as much as wealthier people nor do they have much contact outside their group.
Nor did they have anything to do with thypoid which was often brought about by fast growing towns outgrowing their sewage facilities etc.
You may be thinking of typhus (different disease) spread by lice, which homeless may have but typhus epidemics were usually a problem during war, war camps, large refugee situations etc. not transients, unless you call a traveling war soldier or refugee a 'bum'.

Your hatred is disturbing and without merit here.

Apparently living in Seattle with a higher density of homeless than many other cities has caused some sensitivity. I don't doubt that dealing with mentally ill homeless people in your neighborhood is unpleasant and hard. I don't think I would like it much and it is an issue to be addressed. But I don't think using the threat of epidemics is going to be the lever that gets you the result you want.

As for the epidemic, its not all about your backyard.

There are 317 million people in the U.S. and around 600,000 homeless. Chances are any epidemic will spread from some other locus.

Do you ever watch movies and think which character you are most like? I suggest you watch some movies in this genre and do so. Your type is rarely helpful.

Last edited by Giesela; 08-09-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 PM

13,983 posts, read 6,354,627 times
Quote:
Let's see: Reagan hasn't been in office since January 1989.

For 25 years nothing has been done? I'd say the political leaders since Reagan are more to blame. How many street bums weren't even adults when he was president? Blaming Reagan is as lame as the 'Most Bums are Vietnam Vets' notion.

As for pulling #4 out of a hat: you've never seen bums engaging in violence or screaming at people?

The public places belong to the public; not to the bums. It's time people took their cities back and stop pretending that the bums have more rights than everybody else or that they aren't potentially dangerous. You said yourself that they belong in asylums, if that's so, they don't belong on the streets.
Why are you wasting your time on here? Get your gun out & start blasting them away. You're all talk & no action. Yawn.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,459,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Meanwhile the poor have just as much a right to parenthood as anyone else.
Wrong. You should have the right to have kids if you can provide for their basic needs - food, shelter, clothing, medical care, education. If you're having them only to rely on others' tax dollars to provide for them - or in the case of third-world nations, not having their needs met, period - then you shouldn't be having them. That applies to everyone regardless of nationality.

Meanwhile what you have happening is the very opposite: the educated population weighs the responsibilities and obligations of having children very carefully and ends up having less and less of them, while the third world nations are breeding like crazy. Eventually they're gonna drag the rest of the world down with them - as we're already seeing with these diseases that come out of there.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,180,791 times
Quote:
If third-world nations like most of Africa and India weren't reproducing like rabbits in filth, destitution, and not having the basic needs met for the population they already have, the world would be in a much better place.
Zero contribution to the world, a drain on the global economy, overpopulation, disease, AIDS, and now ebola. Thank you Africa.
The reason poor countries "breed like rabbits" is the same reason WE and other formerly poor countries in Europe used to. They have no welfare system, no safety net, so they have to have as many offspring as possible to help out when they are sick or old, and provide an income.

When Africans become secure in having a safety net, when they have a piece of the pie, they won't need to have as many children. Just as European fertility rates plunged below replacement numbers when they became financially secure, so will all thirdworld nations.

Women mostly don't even want to have large numbers of childbirths if it becomes unnecessary, they're quite eager to use contraceptives after having one or two.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 PM

555 posts, read 659,191 times
thefragile:

In fairness, this is why I rarely post on the Current Events thread. The brilliance of these comments is---almost humbling in their logic and well thought-out depths of profundity and erudition.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,306,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Saudi guy did die from ebola and the press there reports a second possible case but the Health Ministry denied it.
The dead Saudi's brother said he was at 2 different hospitals for treatment.
So... How many West African burial practices did this Saudi National assist in? Was he in "close proximity" to Ebola victims as part of the general course for normal business practice?

Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 PM

13,983 posts, read 6,354,627 times
Quote:
thefragile:

In fairness, this is why I rarely post on the Current Events thread. The brilliance of these comments is---almost humbling in their logic and well thought-out depths of profundity and erudition.
So quit posting & start taking care of the vermin. You're all talk & no bite. Yawn.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:24 AM

12,261 posts, read 11,280,120 times
Transmission.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/wo...-year-old.html

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Wrong. You should have the right to have kids if you can provide for their basic needs - food, shelter, clothing, medical care, education. If you're having them only to rely on others' tax dollars to provide for them - or in the case of third-world nations, not having their needs met, period - then you shouldn't be having them. That applies to everyone regardless of nationality.

Meanwhile what you have happening is the very opposite: the educated population weighs the responsibilities and obligations of having children very carefully and ends up having less and less of them, while the third world nations are breeding like crazy. Eventually they're gonna drag the rest of the world down with them - as we're already seeing with these diseases that come out of there.
There plenty of poor all over the world having kids who meet their basic needs. And you cannot take away their right to children. That equates to slavery.
It also opens a door. A door to - I don't like they way you raise your children and you shouldn;t be allowed to have any. Personally I can't stand the idea of so many children in this country being raised to hate. I might be tempted to stop those people from having children. But its not the way to go.

You sound like a very fearful person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or