U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM

10,061 posts, read 9,305,978 times

Advertisements

A poster (I believe a bit sarcastically) said that such an outbreak wouldn't become an epidemic in the U.S. because our hygiene is better. While I understand that Ebola is not as easily transmittable as the media/film industry would like you to believe, every day people in the U.S. do things that can help transmit disease. Something as simply as washing one's hands before leaving the restroom is neglected. People hack and cough (thereby emitting sputum) without covering their mouths. People touch things and readily handle food at the same time. So yeah, maybe in the U.S. we don't manually prepare our dead for burial and we don't have open sewage about, we do do things that can promote disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,490,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
is it true that Ebola is spread by sex? or how does one get it from another person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
No it is spread through all bodily fluids I believe.

Someone has been having really bad sex.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,138,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This information is erroneous per current data. The Pasteur Institute has already identified the strain of Ebola as being Ebola Zaire, nearly identical to previous appearances of the Ebola Zaire strain.

Clock Rooting Further Demonstrates that Guinea 2014 EBOV is a Member of the Zaïre Lineage – PLOS Currents Outbreaks

[b]

Guinea Ebola outbreak believed to be deadly Zaire strain | Reuters

There is no "per the old strain of Ebola", we've known of multiple strains of the disease for decades, yet all are virtually the same in terms of how they are contracted. The main difference between Ebola Zaire and Ebola Sudan for example is overall lethality.

Ebola, just like HIV, is thought to be extremely fragile outside the body, we're talking about a matter of hours, not days. You would also have a hard time contracting it from a typical fomite. Viruses in general tend to be fragile outside of a host, they're not really living the way bacteria is and they don't have the ability to form spores such as bacillus anthracis(Anthrax) does.
All my information comes from the Official "Pathogen Safety Data Sheet" from the Public Health Agency of Canada.

They list 7 strains of Ebola virus known;

Ebola haemorrhagic fever (EHF)
Ebola virus (EBOV)
Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV)
Sudan ebolavirus (SEBOV)
Ivory Coast ebolavirus (ICEBOV)
Ebola Reston (REBOV)
Bundibugyo ebolavirus (BEBOV)

They had originally identified the current Ebola strain as (ZEBOV) but then said that this break out is not a perfect match and that they would research further.

Every thing else in my post is a direct quote from the "Pathogen Safety Data Sheet" not a Reuters news story.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,793,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
All my information comes from the Official "Pathogen Safety Data Sheet" from the Public Health Agency of Canada.

They list 7 strains of Ebola virus known;

Ebola haemorrhagic fever (EHF)
Ebola virus (EBOV)
Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV)
Sudan ebolavirus (SEBOV)
Ivory Coast ebolavirus (ICEBOV)
Ebola Reston (REBOV)
Bundibugyo ebolavirus (BEBOV)

They had originally identified the current Ebola strain as (ZEBOV) but then said that this break out is not a perfect match and that they would research further.

Every thing else in my post is a direct quote from the "Pathogen Safety Data Sheet" not a Reuters news story.

It is a variant of Ebola Zaire, that much is clear. An entirely new strain was ruled out well over a month ago. Initially it was suspected to be the case but the latest data confirms that it is in fact ZEBOV.

This is directly from the CDC.

Quote:
Genetic analysis of the virus indicates that it is closely related (97% identical) to variants of Ebola virus (species Zaire ebolavirus) identified earlier in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Gabon (Baize et al. 2014External Web Site Icon).

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/

When I need some good maple syrup, I'll go ask the Canadians. :P

Last edited by Juram; 07-31-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM

8,124 posts, read 5,694,889 times
Part of it has to do with the lack of knowledge and sophistication in that part of the world. MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has reported that some of the locals are becoming hostile with Western medical personnel and would prefer to be treated by their "traditional" medical providers (i.e. with doctors ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/wo...ca-guinea.html

Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
JL

7,310 posts, read 11,474,267 times
Ebola-infected doctor's extraordinary sacrifice

Dr. Brantley has it now over the weekend...

Ebola-infected doctor's extraordinary sacrifice

On Wednesday, an experimental serum arrived in Monrovia, Liberia, but there was only enough dosage for one patient.

“Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol,” said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan’s Purse, the Christian humanitarian organization Brantly is working for.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 PM

1,254 posts, read 714,504 times
Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 | Reuters

Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,793,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Part of it has to do with the lack of knowledge and sophistication in that part of the world. MSF (Doctors Without Borders) has reported that some of the locals are becoming hostile with Western medical personnel and would prefer to be treated by their "traditional" medical providers (i.e. with doctors ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/wo...ca-guinea.html

This is very common. The very medical professionals putting their own lives on the line to provide treatment end up getting blamed due to superstition.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,303,406 times
There was a 2012 study done on transmission of ebola from pigs to primates which suggested airborne transmission may contribute to the spread. There was no direct contact between the pigs and primates.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,303,406 times
Emory University will be receiving an ebola patient soon. They can't say who it is due to HIPPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or