Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times

Advertisements

What we need to watch for is mutation. If brief contacts such as the ones linked to Sawyer are confirmed and it appears that they are then it is more dangerous than previous outbreaks. The key word is transmissibility. As the OP said (if the genie gets out of the bottle) A little scarier today than yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, I have to admit that I don't think ebola is caused by vitamin c deficiency, or that it can help patients. In fact it might make them worse, since vitamin c has some mild anticoagulant properties. I remember back in the old day that c was reputed to cure the common cold, according to an impressive array of studies gathered by Linus Pauling ....... anyone who has tried it can tell you that it has no discernible effect on colds. Since then I've been dubious about vitamin c as a panacea.

Sure, the epidemic of ebola will be hyped and money will be made ...... but it's a serious and true illness. It's just not something we need to get panicky about here in the US, there are much worse and more contagious diseases coming our way eventually. Don't dive down into the survival bunker just yet.
Vitamin C will not protect you from a virus, but in the case of the common cold, the cold will weaken the person that has contracted it, allowing for a subsequent bacterial infection after the cold virus is long gone. Both the cold and the bacterial infection usually have the same symptoms. This is why some people believe Vitamin C can cure the common cold. Sometimes you think you have a cold virus, but you only have an infection. Vitamin C can seem to shorten the cold for this reason. What it is doing is eliminating the bacterial follow-up.

The first 25-30 years of my life I thought I was constantly catching colds. My sinuses were so messed up, I was constantly taking decongestants. I also used steroidal nasal sprays at the same time. I frequently became dependent on OTC nasal sprays to keep breathing and to sleep at night. I would take decongestants during the day and antihistamines at night. Mt blood pressure was high due to the decongestants.

I was not eating a lot of the foods that have a high vitamin C content. I started taking about 2gs of C daily and within a couple weeks I started noticing a change. I got off the steroidal sprays, and the decongestants and didn't need the antihistamines at night. My blood pressure went down, and I could cut down on the medications for that. Over the years I caught much fewer "colds", if that's what they were.

So, my experience might be considered anecdotal, but I have years of experience implementing the regimen, and have occasionally lapsed from it, with the resulting increase in sinus issues. No one will ever convince me that vitamin C in higher than recommended doses is not beneficial.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,891 times
Unfortunately there are too many people on the planet and, from studying biology, I know huge populations are perfect for being reduced by intraspecific competion (food & water, territory-aka war) and disease. The world is a time-bomb waiting for this immense human population to be culled by natural forces such as plague or war. I know this is a depressing scenario but it will happen eventually with the logarithmic growth rate of our population. Back in the 60's, when I was in an organization called "Zero Population Growth" we were trying to educate the world what would happen if the population exploded. No one listened.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,891 times
CruzinCat... My girlfriend in college had a sister who was studying nutrition in graduate school. Her study involved giving convicts on the same diet huge doses of vitamin C and measuring how much was excreted in their urine. The amount excreted remained constant. After several months, several of the convicts escaped from this jail in Madison, Wisconsin and the remaining convicts were interrogated to find out what they knew about the escapees and their planned escape. Interesting that the interrogated convicts were excreting less Vitamin C during that time. That is where the study ended and never was published (as far as I know). However, my girlfriend's sister hypothesized that the stress from the interrogating increased their bodies need for Vitamin C and so it was being used rather than excreted. We know that disease puts stress on the body so the body just might need high doses of C to handle that stress. Just an hypothesis ..not proven.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Ontario reports one person from Nigeria has ebola like symptoms.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Manors View Post
Unfortunately there are too many people on the planet and, from studying biology, I know huge populations are perfect for being reduced by intraspecific competion (food & water, territory-aka war) and disease. The world is a time-bomb waiting for this immense human population to be culled by natural forces such as plague or war. I know this is a depressing scenario but it will happen eventually with the logarithmic growth rate of our population. Back in the 60's, when I was in an organization called "Zero Population Growth" we were trying to educate the world what would happen if the population exploded. No one listened.
If third-world nations like most of Africa and India weren't reproducing like rabbits in filth, destitution, and not having the basic needs met for the population they already have, the world would be in a much better place.
Zero contribution to the world, a drain on the global economy, overpopulation, disease, AIDS, and now ebola. Thank you Africa.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The Saudi guy did die from ebola and the press there reports a second possible case but the Health Ministry denied it.
The dead Saudi's brother said he was at 2 different hospitals for treatment.

2nd Ebola case denied | Arab News

Old 08-09-2014, 01:02 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
To everyone here insisting it's no big deal to other countries, apparently WHO disagrees.

"The possible consequences of further international spread are particularly serious in view of the virulence of the virus," WHO said after a meeting on Friday.

Other countries are closing borders and banning affected travellers. A bunch of cases in Nigeria that started with one single person! And you people think it wouldn't spread in a US metro??

Old 08-09-2014, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
To everyone here insisting it's no big deal to other countries, apparently WHO disagrees.

"The possible consequences of further international spread are particularly serious in view of the virulence of the virus," WHO said after a meeting on Friday.

Other countries are closing borders and banning affected travellers. A bunch of cases in Nigeria that started with one single person! And you people think it wouldn't spread in a US metro??
Sawyer is what shook them up.
"Took sick to travel" was what they previous said but Sawyer proved them wrong.

The "one plane ride away" has come true.
Nigeria got Sawyer and Saudi Arabia got one too that died of ebola.
Nigeria is now on the list of countries being tracked. 2 dead and 13 suspected cases being tested.

It's no longer confined to remote African villages.

The WHO and CDC have sprung into further action because the global threat proved true.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:07 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
Default Nothing to see here folks. Let's move on to the next crisis!

http://www.allnewspipeline.com/Bullseye_CDC_Quarantine_Map.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events