U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,622,724 times

Advertisements

Outbreak of Ebola in Guinea | Ebola | CDC

Already up to almost 528 cases, with an approximate 337 deaths so far. Ebola is generally so lethal and spreads so quickly that it "burns" itself out within a short time frame. This outbreak seems to be more puzzling to the CDC and they are most certainly very concerned about this spreading even further.

Key facts

Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a severe, often fatal illness in humans.
EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.
EVD outbreaks occur primarily in remote villages in Central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests.
The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
Fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are considered to be the natural host of the Ebola virus.
Severely ill patients require intensive supportive care. No licensed specific treatment or vaccine is available for use in people or animals.

WHO | Ebola virus disease

We have only had three outbreaks on American soil that I'm aware of, all three were in a quarantine facility in Virginia and Texas which housed research monkeys. In two of the outbreaks, no humans were affected, in the third outbreak, three humans contracted antibodies to the strain but were not sick. In all three cases, the ebola strain was the monkey strain, or REBOV (Reston ebolavirus). Luckily we've dodged the bullet so far...

List of Ebola outbreaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Here's a map of the areas to give you a broad scope of the reach of this outbreak...

Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,753,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here's a map of the areas to give you a broad scope of the reach of this outbreak...
Those countries are absolute hell holes. Do a little googling about Liberia and general buttnaked. The least of their concern is Ebola. Killed a few hundred. How many have been slaughtered during their genocides and civil wars! They have no running water/basic hygiene medical care. Bad water kills more than Ebola. But ebola sounds scary so it makes headlines. There's also the concern of spread elsewhere, but it's so lethal that hasn't happened. It's also not that contagious That's why you see these outbreaks there. Awful places to live. People in the modern world should feel fortunate that they don't have to live in a country like that like those poor people stuck there.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM

8,422 posts, read 4,328,887 times
Thanks to our CDC!

Emerging Viruses: AIDS and Ebola: Nature, Accident, or Intentional? by Leonard G. Horowitz,Emerging Viruses: AIDS and Ebola: Nature, Accident, or Intentional?: Leonard G. Horowitz, W. John Martin: 9780923550127: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Really? Reallllly?? lol

Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,627,399 times
Boy. This thread sure took a quick detour into the Twilight Zone, didn't it?

This is quite concerning. This particular outbreak is way outside the norm on several levels. One encouraging aspect of it is that the areas that most often experience Ebola outbreaks are not very easily accessible to international transportation nodes. If someone is infected in one of those areas, they usually don't live long enough to get to a major airport. I've always thought that was one of the factors that's helped keep Ebola isolated over the decades, but it looks as though this latest outbreak is not following that pattern. Those shaded areas look uncomfortably close to Freetown and Monrovia.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 07-15-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM

All it's going to take is it reaching a major transportation hub, then the wildfire begins.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,581,519 times
Well, where's all those calling for less government now? I'm glad to pay my taxes to keep this from happening here.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM

792 posts, read 503,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Well, where's all those calling for less government now? I'm glad to pay my taxes to keep this from happening here.
No, we'll just shock and awe Ebola into retreating into the mountains. The 101st Airborne should be up to the task.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,281,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The government will not be able to control Ebola if it gets into this country. This new strain has a 2-18 day incubation period and will be very hard to spot in the airports since there is no obvious signs that a person is infected. When the fever starts it only takes 3 days to kill. The only way to stop it is to close the airports, the shipping ports and the borders. I don't see this happening with this administration.

I just had my 24 month physical and my doctor informed me that he was in Africa just the week before helping with the Ebola out break. He told me that the situation over there is in panic mode and that there is a large number of health workers catching it.

The UN has said that Ebola is out of control, the Red Cross has pulled out because of the danger. The WHO is declaring it untrackable because there are so many known carriers that have left the hospitals and went back to their tribes to infect every one there.

The latest "known" deaths from Ebola is 888 and this number is known by experts to only be a fraction of the real deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or