U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't know a single vegan with this view and its not a position advocated by any vegan group. Vegans have no issue with human breast milk because it doesn't result in animal suffering and exploitation.

As with other similar stories, its not clear what connection the health issue with the child has to do with veganism.
Having a pet cow and milking it by hand, not selling it, and only milking enough for your morning coffee after the calf has already been fed, isn't causing it to suffer and isn't exploiting it either, but the milk still isn't vegan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,980,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Having a pet cow and milking it by hand, not selling it, and only milking enough for your morning coffee after the calf has already been fed, isn't causing it to suffer and isn't exploiting it either, but the milk still isn't vegan.
Milking the cow is exploiting the cow for its milk but many vegans wouldn't have an issue with this hypothetical situation but would note how unrealistic it is and as such has no practical value.

Regardless, contrary to what you've suggested, the vegan society's definition doesn't imply that human breast feeding is non-vegan.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
No, it doesn't imply it. It contradicts its own facts. It is against consumption of dairy.

Vegans do not consume dairy. That's one of their "rules." It's a big rule. A huge thing, one of the basics of the point of their existence. Whether for ethical reasons or not, dairy is right up there on the top 3 of their "list of things vegans do not ever consume."

Human breast milk IS dairy. It just is. It falls into no other category. It's dairy, by definition.

So - Vegans don't consume dairy, EXCEPT for breast milk. But that is a conflict of interest, against the BIG DEAL rule they make such a big stink about. "WE NEVER TOUCH DAIRY!" (in super fine print: except human breast milk, but no we're not hypocritical, we just pretend that we don't consider human breast milk dairy, and that absolves us.)

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,007,171 times
I don't know that breast milk IS considered dairy other than by you. I can't find a definitive opinion about it online. It doesn't come from *a* dairy. I suppose, however, one position is that one cow standing in a barn to be milked is a dairy, so a lactating mother with a pump could be too. A cow that feeds her calf but is not used for her milk is not a dairy cow, I don't think. The USDA defines the dairy group to include fluid dairy *products* and things made from them that retain their calcium, like cheese.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,698,106 times
Interesting. I hope she knows soy could be potentially bad. I have thyroid issues; I had to stop drinking soy milk and now either drink almond or take calcium supplements (I'm lactose intolerant).

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 AM

8,869 posts, read 7,353,342 times
I'm not vegan so I never understood this aversion to milk. As a kid, my folks would bring us to a local dairy farm to buy freshly pasturized milk straight from the farmer. His cows were very well cared for. They got regular vet check-ups, fed regularly if there wasn't enough grass, always had water, and protected from harsh elements.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,698,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm not vegan so I never understood this aversion to milk. As a kid, my folks would bring us to a local dairy farm to buy freshly pasturized milk straight from the farmer. His cows were very well cared for. They got regular vet check-ups, fed regularly if there wasn't enough grass, always had water, and protected from harsh elements.
I mean I can see why people detest factory farms, but a local farmer that takes good care of the animals and the animals are killed humanely... I just don't get it. Then again, I'd fall apart as a vegan since I have thyroid issues and have to be really careful of soy and that type of thing. I rather just have a healthy diet consisting of everything to a degree (with exercise of course). I am lactose intolerant, so I try to find ways to have milk that isn't soy or dairy.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,980,854 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't imply it. It contradicts its own facts. It is against consumption of dairy.
It doesn't contradict anything, here is the definition from the vegan society:

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

Definition of veganism | The Vegan Society

Quote:
Vegans do not consume dairy. That's one of their "rules." It's a big rule. A huge thing, one of the basics of the point of their existence.
You seem to be only familiar with veganism via the dictionary. The reason vegans avoid dairy is because it results in animal suffering and/or animal exploitation....not because they've decided on some "rule" that they should avoid it. Human mothers are willing giving their infants breast milk and as such nobody is being exploited, etc and as such human breast milk is perfectly vegan.

All major vegan groups consider human breast milk vegan and recommend that vegan mothers breast fed their infants.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,007,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Dairy cows have to keep calving order to continue to produce milk. They will naturally stop producing once their calves don't need it, so you have to make more babies. Female calves are kept to make more milk, but you don't need more males. They might be kept to breed or sell for breeding, or they're usually made into veal. You just don't need them in the same numbers.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM

164 posts, read 151,672 times
Quote:
Police said Markham told them that she wanted to pursue a religious-based treatment and did not believe that her baby was dehydrated because the child was having bowel movements.

Markham said she had contacted a "natural" or "vegan" doctor but was unable to provide any information about him, other than a name

That has nothing to do with veganism. More like a crazy hiding veganism much like a nutcase saying that Jesus told him to murder somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events