Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times

Advertisements

This is way dumb.

But of course, I do remember that one where the Husband died, so the Wife ran, and won. Name recognition ? I can't remember what state , but it could have been Arkansas.....

Here in Ontario, the Premier is a lesbian, and the other two political party leaders are both women, and out of our ten Provinces and 3 Territories, at least 70 percent of the elected political leaders are women, and we have had a female Prime Minister, in the past.

I am not relating this Canadian political fact to the first story above , (grin ). We tend to be a lot more relaxed and tolerant up here. But I don't think a dog could get elected here. Maybe in a really small place in Newfoundland ? I compare Newfoundland to West Virginia, but with out much coal, and a lot more salt water. I describe a Newfie accent as sounding like an Irishman..... who spent some time in Kentucky, who isn't wearing his dentures.

Jim B. Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:53 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I blame it on environmental toxins and gin.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
This is way dumb.

But of course, I do remember that one where the Husband died, so the Wife ran, and won. Name recognition ? I can't remember what state , but it could have been Arkansas.....

Here in Ontario, the Premier is a lesbian, and the other two political party leaders are both women, and out of our ten Provinces and 3 Territories, at least 70 percent of the elected political leaders are women, and we have had a female Prime Minister, in the past.

I am not relating this Canadian political fact to the first story above , (grin ). We tend to be a lot more relaxed and tolerant up here. But I don't think a dog could get elected here. Maybe in a really small place in Newfoundland ? I compare Newfoundland to West Virginia, but with out much coal, and a lot more salt water. I describe a Newfie accent as sounding like an Irishman..... who spent some time in Kentucky, who isn't wearing his dentures.

Jim B. Toronto.
Try Missouri

Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Could anybody even think up this stuff for a comedy about politics? And people voted for this fool.

GOP Candidate Charges Opponent Is Dead, Represented By A Body Double
LOL! Sadly, this does not surprise me. Nor does anything I read on the P&OC threads.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
This is way dumb.

Jim B. Toronto.
Dead people run frequently in the US. I'm obviously not googling the right words here, b/c I'm bringing up names of people who ran for office after their predecessor died (e.g. Calvin Coolidge) but I know it's happened. Up in oh-so-liberal Minnesota, when Paul Wellstone was killed less than two days before the election, his name was going to remain on the ballot (and probably did) but two days before the election the governor appointed someone to fill the remainder of his term. I specifically remember this one b/c my daughter was a college student in Wellstone's town at the time, and the College Democrats were trying to get the students to vote for him, to the extent of providing buses to the polls. My DD had already voted absentee here in CO, but she could have voted again b/c MN has same day registration.

Who was your female prime minister? I am not remembering this. We have a number of women governors, and more women in the statehouses than in federal offices.

Interesting that your tolerance lets you diss both Newfoundland and West Virginia!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
This is way dumb.

That was in Missouri. Mel Carnahan died in a plane crash three weeks before the election, and according to state law it was too late to take him off the ballot.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Could anybody even think up this stuff for a comedy about politics? And people voted for this fool.

GOP Candidate Charges Opponent Is Dead, Represented By A Body Double
Im going to go out on a limb and guess that the GOP candidate belongs to the Tea Party fraction? They are the only ones dumb enough to be so freaking stupid.

These clowns are killing my party with their stupidity and ignorance. The leadership needs to kick them out ASAP.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Paul is dead. That's what I heard anyways.
No no. That would be the walrus. Wait....the walrus is Paul.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:28 PM

266 posts, read 285,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The next town over from us had a dog run for city council but at least the dog was alive. I didn't keep up with how that turned out. Everybody was talking about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubbs_(cat)

Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
My goodness, Go to Tim Murray's website and read the statement this guy made. It is incoherent and the grammar is like something written by someone for whom English is not their native tongue. It reminds me of reading the instruction manual for some "Made in China" product. This guy is delusional, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events