U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,656,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly why do you think this "smells like Afluenza"?

Do you believe he thought, "You know, my parents are rich and can get me out of anything. I think I'll kill the person in front of me and then pull over after."?
Because affluenza will come into play in this. If the kid has been coddled and spoiled and his questional actions in the past just glossed over the defense may use his affluenza as an excuse. i don't think even the jerk who used that defense (the attorney lated lamented using the term) deliberately thought "My folks are rich and will get me off" The attorney said he was soiled and never had to take responsibility for his actions and it was the parents' fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM

17,264 posts, read 14,837,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What a horrible thing to do to another human being with seemingly no provocation. The guy rams their vehicle three times, she gets out to look at damage (a terrible mistake) - he pins her against her vehicle with his truck and then as he is driving away, throws it in reverse to back over her. Luckily, some witnesses were able to stop him from escaping before the police arrived.

This kid's family has vast resources, so it will be interesting to see what his defense team can cook up.

'It's horrific': Pelham man accused of repeatedly striking woman with car, killing her in front of family | AL.com

This is crazy! I do think he was mentally ill, but I agree he just thought he could do whatever he wanted because of his privileged background.

"Alabama court records show he has had several traffic issues in Alabama, including a reckless driving conviction in 2011 when he was clocked driving 99 mph as he passed a vehicle in the median on Interstate 85 in Montgomery County. He is an extreme sports and photography enthusiast."

Old 06-27-2014, 08:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,119,805 times
Get a rope....

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What a horrible thing to do to another human being with seemingly no provocation. The guy rams their vehicle three times, she gets out to look at damage (a terrible mistake) - he pins her against her vehicle with his truck and then as he is driving away, throws it in reverse to back over her. Luckily, some witnesses were able to stop him from escaping before the police arrived.

This kid's family has vast resources, so it will be interesting to see what his defense team can cook up.

'It's horrific': Pelham man accused of repeatedly striking woman with car, killing her in front of family | AL.com
Afluenza?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,656,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Afluenza?
google it and you will see it is not necessarily a new term but it came to light recently in this case. now defense attorneys are using it to get spoiled brats and even adults off.

Texas teen in "affluenza" case gets rehab for driving drunk, killing 4 - CNN.com

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,760,274 times
WTF is wrong with this guy? Seriously that poor woman, though if a person rammed me THREE TIMES I definitely would NOT have gotten out and just called the cops, she was safer in her car at least! GAH.... He pinned her with his car for TWO MINUTES? TWO MINUTES, THEN when she fell turned around and backed up over her?

Stuff like this just scares the crap out of me. You never know what you could be doing and then someone can come along and decide they are BSC and kill you.

‘This man was out to kill’: Family of Georgia woman allegedly hit, killed by Pelham man demands justice | AL.com

They should give him the chair. If this man gets to live that's just WRONG.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 AM

10,403 posts, read 7,488,333 times
What a horrible thing. What a horrible excuse for a living organism.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,617,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly why do you think this "smells like Afluenza"?

Do you believe he thought, "You know, my parents are rich and can get me out of anything. I think I'll kill the person in front of me and then pull over after."?
Do YOU think Teckeeee has the exact right to think or say what was posted? Are you the thought police?

Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 AM

994 posts, read 1,199,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Do YOU think Teckeeee has the exact right to think or say what was posted? Are you the thought police?
I think Pedro was just asking a question. I'm curious for the answer as well.

It's one thing to say that the attorney will use "affluenza" as a defense. And I doubt that will be the case because 1) intentionally ramming someone with your car is not the same as unintentionally causing death while drunk driving and 2) the "affluenza" case was probably an isolated defense that isn't likely to become commonplace. Also, despite the way shows like Law and Order make it appear, it's pretty rare that incidents like this go to trial.

...but it's another thing to yourself claim that being affluent made this guy think it's okay to kill someone with his car. That's a claim that warrants a discussion, which I believe is the whole point of these boards - is it not?

Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 AM

44,346 posts, read 35,405,337 times
Whether that criminal was mentally ill or not, I don't care. He deserves the death penalty. There was no reason for that shameful incident. He doesn't need another chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events