U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 PM

50 posts, read 48,960 times

Advertisements

ok i would happily i would swim in a circle of sharks

people have it all wrong and kill for the wrong reasons

a great white and most other sharks are nosy and want to investigate are you food and surfers are you a seal???????????

the problem comes from the hello from them because there so big makes tho holes arms etc

trust me a shark want to eat you they will find ziplock dags if even that much

the sharke to never trust or be around are tiger sharks they eat anything i do mean anything

a gun ship in the 50s 6os went down in tiger shark waters 100 or so survived but the tigers came in and like 20 you would have to look it up to old for me to remember

its like our buffets we tak a try the trow out same with sharks just there so big a nibble becomes a leg

but it is true most all breads if you chum the water or are bleeding they will go frenzy and finish it

what can i say disabled wit to much discovery channel time lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,585,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
1 out of every 112 people dies in a car wreck? That seems a bit high to me.
Depends where you live probably. Peeps be crazy on beach roads!!!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM

15,813 posts, read 13,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A large shark bumped into a fishing boat off a popular Long Island beach over the weekend in what may have been the third sighting of a great white in waters off the New York and New Jersey coasts this week. Another shark, also possibly a great white, was spotted Saturday off the coast of Cape May in New Jersey, and on Sunday two sharks were seen about a mile off of Rockaway Beach in Queens."

Large Shark Swims Up to Boat Near Fire Island in 3rd Tri-State Sighting | NBC New York

Seen Jaws lately? Are the officials of NY and NJ downplaying the danger because they need the tourism dollars?
Omg are you serious?

As an oceanographer and a resident of monmouth county NJ, yes I am going swimming. Already have.

Reality check people, off the coast is a big area and the one video those guys were very far offshore. Additionally, white sharks have always been found in this offshore region because it's one of their breeding grounds. This is nothing new and as a lifelong surfer I have seen sharks here every summer my entire life.

Get over it and stop fear mongering.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I'll probably jump around in the ocean this afternoon but dangerous sharks don't get this far north (northern Mass). They like the warmer waters. Last year there were a few confirmed sightings on Cape Cod so they're getting closer as the sea gradually warms, but I'm not worried around here--yet.

Also, if you have (flocks? litters? gatherings?) of seals, they attract sharks. You'd probably need some rocks for the seals to bask on. Our beach is just sand, no rocks.
You are wrong about the lack of sharks. Martha's Vineyard and the cape have always had many large sharks including whites, makos and blues, it is part of the white shark breeding range as well. But big sharks don't typically come in shore and those that do are typically following the gray seals (whose numbers are exploding btw).

Just being on the other side of the cape is not some magical barrier. Additionally mackerel sharks have a countercurrent system which makes them functionally warm blooded so cold water is not the issue it would be outside the gulf stream that it would be for other sharks.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will. I live near the shore in NJ and I love the beach. I HAVE heard the reports, though, and will certainly have that in mind the next time I go in the water!
Just don't go in at dawn or dusk and don't swim with your dog. You will be fine.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Sharks in reality do not like human flesh, at least the large majority of them (there have been a few cases of what scientist call rogue sharks - they hunt humans but there are theories why). So, if those 535 were kicking around and did get attacked it would be a bite and swim.
Over generalization that varies widely based on the species of shark.

This stems from the fact white sharks, due to their countercurrents system, actively seek high fat diet and have been known when hunting in areas of high fat prey items to reject leaner foods.

Many shark species are opportunistic feeders such as the oceanic white tip, which would readily eat anything. We should be glad these are never found coastally as they would inevitably attack people due to feeding strategy.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the conventional wisdom is that if you are attacked by a shark you should poke him in the eye, trouble is they have two eyes. No, the best thing to do is to grab them with a claw grip on their nose...they hate that, it makes their eyes water. As he's swimming away, you can show him your hand with your thumb sticking out and do the ol' "I got your nose, oh yes I do"
Sharks eyes cannot water, they do not have tear ducts.

If attacked by a shark reaching for gills is most vulnerable spot.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The shark population is surging off the Eastern US and Canada. The shark population is also growing of the coast of California.

I love the ocean but it does give me an uneasy feeling.
This is not true.

It is recovering but surging is a gross misrepresentation. Shark numbers are still more than 30% less than they were in the 60s.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM

20,384 posts, read 20,582,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sharks eyes cannot water, they do not have tear ducts.

If attacked by a shark reaching for gills is most vulnerable spot.
^SHARRRRRK!!!! get him!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,127,301 times
Last time I swam in the ocean was in Wildwood NJ in the 60's and as I was taking in a breath, I almost swallowed somebody's turd.....Now I just go in up to my knees....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or