U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,319,478 times

Advertisements

I've pretty much quit watching all our so-called news channels. They're all completely biased one way or another. I actually consider them so much so that they're dangerous. They have absolutely no regard for the consequences their bias reporting causes. It's all about talking heads making millions by keeping their respective audiences outraged. The real journalists from decades past must be rolling in their graves at our current pathetic spectacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM

299 posts, read 338,650 times
The New York Times, The Telegraph, BBC, Euronews (http://www.euronews.com/ and LIVE at http://www.livenewschat.eu/euronews-english-chat/)

Old 06-29-2014, 12:25 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,606,894 times
I'm not interested in the problems of strangers, foreigners, or politicians.
I only watch the news if it's interesting or entertaining.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,757,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
And I find that disconcerting. Why do you think that is?

Because they don't have a dog in the fight. They report the story instead of making the story. Big difference.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 PM

18,124 posts, read 17,252,438 times
I like to read the Guardian UK online.

I also listen to the news on am radio from Boston--WBZ 10:30. News all day long.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM

5,589 posts, read 4,811,035 times
Now I only read WSJ, Reason, and Bloomberg Business. TV news, cable and network, isn't that good. NYT has been going on reputation for quite awhile. Local news is ok for local but too many are trying to be like cable news. Local newspapers are only good for the obits.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,988,433 times
As some others have suggested, Latest news, sport and comment from the Guardian | The Guardian and The Telegraph - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph. Just switch to the US versions once you're there, if you like.

And it's sad, but true: I've found more American "breaking news" on this celebrity-heavy site Home | Mail Online than I have on any leading American site!

I don't know how they get it so quickly, but for the UK to trump us on our own domestic news says a lot about the quality of US news.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:52 PM

29,636 posts, read 32,001,609 times
My son and I were flipping between Fox and CNN and MSNBC the other night and it was seriously killing us. We switched over to Aljeezira and the first thing he said was "nobody is raising their voice, nobody is yelling"...haha. After about 30 minutes of some interesting takes on all sorts of things, including World Cup and some other stories that are hot right now, we realized we hadn't heard the name "Obama" the entire time. Who'd have thunk there is more to life that him? (Bashing or Defending...basically giant commercials for Political leanings). Certainly not Americans.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:09 PM

1,471 posts, read 928,015 times
All the above are good sources of real news. You may also want to try France 24 and German site DW.DE.

International breaking news and headlines - France 24
http://www.dw.de/

The US news sources job is to keep the citizens ignorant and politically divided. If we are all divided over partisan politics, race and class and distracted by celebrity culture then we won't know or care what's really happening in our nation an in the world.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM

320 posts, read 386,173 times
Television news has devolved into "infotainment." Even when coverage of current events or various issues isn't conflated with editorial comment, most reporting is superficial, edited down into simple snippets.

Worse, I see people on C-D constantly equating television news with the whole "media." Written sources at least create a record/reference on which to build further analysis or research. It's also easier to evaluate use of evidence or track down cited primary and secondary sources. Reading newspapers should always be supplemented with additional readings, including books.

TV news is far too ephemeral, cultivating a two-minute attention span and reinforcing cultural amnesia.Too many people are either too busy or just intellectually lazy to bother with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or