U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM

534 posts, read 670,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's a great day in America!

Unions got a slap back and freedom of religion was upheld!

God Bless America!
Wait till that "freedom" comes back to bite you someday. Remember, freedom of religion also includes the respect of sharia law as interpreted by Islam, coming to a neighborhood near you someday.
Me personally, I endorse freedom from religion.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 AM
PJA

2,387 posts, read 2,376,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It looks like you are making excuses. It is very easy to abstain from supporting the corporations that make these contraceptives. There are specially created funds that explicitly avoid these types of companies on purpose. If it is so important, they would have made those choices. And likely wouldn't use chinese labor, as china essentially mandated abortion with its one child law. That is what I would call hypocrisy.

You have choice where your 401k money goes.

Maybe you are ill-informed. Most americans do not work for big corporations. They work for small companies (under 500 employees). Small companies employ 50% of the workforce, and have creates 2/3 of the jobs over the past decade.

Who actually creates jobs: Start-ups, small businesses or big corporations? - The Washington Post

And while 500 employees isn't that small, it is nowhere near large corporation sized either. In a typical industry, a company with 500 employees would have about $50M in revenue. Hobby Lobby dwarfs that size 6x.

There not excuses but facts. Most people don't know where there money is going when they invest in 401k because they are not the ones actually making the investment decisions.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:43 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
sort negates the term "free enterprise" doesn't it? *sigh*
Yes, it does. People don't want free enterprise apparently. What people fail to realize that if a corporations right to free enterprise can be taken away, then eventually individual rights will slowly be taken away as well.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,772,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm an old ERA War Veteran as well as NOW leader and it makes me so sick to think we are having to fight this all over again. Today's young women have no idea how bad it was in the past and how good they have it now.

Bosses and/or co workers try inappropriate touching and intimidation?- no recourse.

Good in sports? Forget getting a college scholarship for your talents.

Wanting to pursue medical school or many other professional careers? Forget scholarships or fair minded professors or even decent employment opportunities once you graduate.

Single and want to buy a car or a home? Forget it unless Daddy co signs the loan no matter how much money you make or have.

Single and want to get dependable birth control? Forget it cause doctors wouldn't give rx for BC to single women. Nor would they insert IUDs. Condoms still aren't available in most women's bathrooms.

Want a safe and legal way to terminate an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy? Forget it-for both single and married women.

Married and want a divorce for all sorts of reasons? Deadbeat Dads had nothing to fear when they didn't pay child support. Divorced women were discriminated against in housing. Throw a few kids in there and it was really impossible. The alternative? Pop valium all day long and hope to die.

Married with kids and want to work outside the home? "NO wife of mine will ever get a job!" echoed throughout the land.

Once these rights are taken away from today's young women they may begin to rally and see how much they stand to forfeit and start getting to work. You and I are tired. We did our part and we tried to educate our younger sisters and daughters and granddaughters. Now its up to them and their enlightened male friends and relatives.
Well, I am, too -- and frankly, I don't see how the HL decison has anything to do with ANY of the scenarios you describe. It has nothing to do with equal opportunity for women in the workplace. Go back even further -- at one point, people took care of their own health care needs, NOT Big Brother Employer. If your employer contributed towards your health care costs, it was a bonus/benefit. At some point, however, it became expected. If you want to talk about a slide towards dependency on others for healthcare, let's talk about the expectation that your employer will pay for your healthcare. Personally, I wouldn't WANT my employer involved in some of my health-care decisions. There is nothing in this decision that prevents women from getting any kind of medical procedure they wish, up to and including abortions or any kind of BC they want. Equal opportunity does NOT mean insisting that the other guy pay for your choices. It means that YOU have the choice. Who pays for it is not an issue.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,397,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, I am, too -- and frankly, I don't see how the HL decison has anything to do with ANY of the scenarios you describe. It has nothing to do with equal opportunity for women in the workplace. Go back even further -- at one point, people took care of their own health care needs, NOT Big Brother Employer. If your employer contributed towards your health care costs, it was a bonus/benefit. At some point, however, it became expected. If you want to talk about a slide towards dependency on others for healthcare, let's talk about the expectation that your employer will pay for your healthcare. Personally, I wouldn't WANT my employer involved in some of my health-care decisions. There is nothing in this decision that prevents women from getting any kind of medical procedure they wish, up to and including abortions or any kind of BC they want. Equal opportunity does NOT mean insisting that the other guy pay for your choices. It means that YOU have the choice. Who pays for it is not an issue.
lol, health care back in those days was basically non existant. The average life expectancy was like 55 vs 85 today.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM

5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Do you recall interview questions from back in old days? Are you married? Do you plan on getting married? When (?) you have children, will you take off from work when they get sick? Will you quit working when you have children? I found these questions very insulting and asked my older female relatives if they were asked this. Of course, not because they were post-menopausal. Certainly, they did not ask MALE candidates these questions. They could not pregnant. An employer would pass up a young woman for a male or older woman.

If a woman herself cannot control her own body and fertility through contraception, she will have an EXTREMELY difficult time controlling her LIFE'S PATH. There are many religious men, and churches, who believe that the SC erred in the Griswold case. States (employers?) should have the right to BAN birth control period. Pay for it yourself? Oh, it goes beyond that.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Do you recall interview questions from back in old days? Are you married? Do you plan on getting married? When (?) you have children, will you take off from work when they get sick? Will you quit working when you have children? I found these questions very insulting and asked my older female relatives if they were asked this. Of course, not because they were post-menopausal. Certainly, they did not ask MALE candidates these questions. They could not pregnant. An employer would pass up a young woman for a male or older woman.

If a woman herself cannot control her own body and fertility through contraception, she will have an EXTREMELY difficult time controlling her LIFE'S PATH. There are many religious men, and churches, who believe that the SC erred in the Griswold case. States (employers?) should have the right to BAN birth control period. Pay for it yourself? Oh, it goes beyond that.

But HL isn't trying to ban BC. In fact there over a dozen forms of BC they still cover.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM

11,362 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Do you recall interview questions from back in old days? Are you married? Do you plan on getting married? When (?) you have children, will you take off from work when they get sick? Will you quit working when you have children? I found these questions very insulting and asked my older female relatives if they were asked this. Of course, not because they were post-menopausal. Certainly, they did not ask MALE candidates these
I have news for you; when I finished my education back in 1972, and left a wide-open campus environment for a smaller, much-duller community, I got much of the same "stonewalling" from my first "serious" employer.

Despite having the best performance record of the four people sharing my role (at a continuously-manned desk), I was passed over twice for promotion in favor of men who were married or engaged, and my boss (a WW II veteran with a strong preference for authority and regimentation), made it clear that I could expect no advancement until I went the same route (and, presumably, buried myself in debt).

He could voice that rationale openly in those times without any fear of censure or legal action, and there's no reason to doubt that much of Korporate Amerika still discriminates against the unencumbered, regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-03-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM

13,476 posts, read 9,593,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

He could voice that rationale openly in those times without any fear of censure or legal action, and there's no reason to doubt that much of Korporate Amerika still discriminates against the unencumbered, regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation.
That's why they made it illegal to ask such questions as part of the pre-employment process.

I remember asking a potential employee if she had children. Her eyes got wide, and I realized that I had inadvertently asked her an illegal question. I wasn't trying to disqualify her, though. I was about to offer her the job, and if she had kids, I wanted her to know that dependent healthcare in our company was not subsidized, and crazy-expensive. I was trying to make sure she knew what she was getting into before just accepting the position.

Most of us have faced discrimination in one form or another. It's pretty ugly. Which brings us back to the topic at hand. Did a male medication (specifically a sexual enhancement drug because those are very expensive) get excluded from the plan at Hobby Lobby, or only drugs / devices that females use to control the number of children they have?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM

24,885 posts, read 11,599,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Yes, it does. People don't want free enterprise apparently. What people fail to realize that if a corporations right to free enterprise can be taken away, then eventually individual rights will slowly be taken away as well.
Yeah! by doing things like allowing the government to decide that you should not be allowed to have birth control covered by your insurance.....ohhh wait, no thats businesses.

Or allowing a Canadian business to take your property....oh wait thats keystone pipeline.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or