U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How many years ago are you talking about? I was single in 1983 and bought my first home. I went on BC in 1974 - yep - single. Doc gave me a prescription when I asked for it. No fanfare at all.
In that same 1974, the contraception proponent BillBaird gave a can of contraceptive foam to a single college student at an assembly in Masschusetts, when such things were illegal. He was jailed (to make a point). The credit things predate 1983 but not by much, and it does depend on where you were and what state, etc.
I got a prescription from Planned Parenthood at 17 in 1970, but had to lie and say I was 18 or would have been turned down. This was in a relatively progressive metro area, not some backwoods. No one would give me a tubal until age 30, again, in a very progressive metro area (1983).
We have these freedoms and accesses on the shoulders of giants, and I hope younger women can see this. There was a life before the dates the previous poster mentioned and the picture wasn't pretty. It did change from year to year in the 1960s and especially 1970s through the hard work and resources and persistence of many older people. We should not forget this

Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Zero copay for birth control under Obama care.
Well, the same people (in general) that oppose that are the same people who whine about welfare and cry "why does she have so many children?" later.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm an old ERA War Veteran as well as NOW leader and it makes me so sick to think we are having to fight this all over again. Today's young women have no idea how bad it was in the past and how good they have it now.

Bosses and/or co workers try inappropriate touching and intimidation?- no recourse.

Good in sports? Forget getting a college scholarship for your talents.

Wanting to pursue medical school or many other professional careers? Forget scholarships or fair minded professors or even decent employment opportunities once you graduate.

Single and want to buy a car or a home? Forget it unless Daddy co signs the loan no matter how much money you make or have.

Single and want to get dependable birth control? Forget it cause doctors wouldn't give rx for BC to single women. Nor would they insert IUDs. Condoms still aren't available in most women's bathrooms.

Want a safe and legal way to terminate an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy? Forget it-for both single and married women.

Married and want a divorce for all sorts of reasons? Deadbeat Dads had nothing to fear when they didn't pay child support. Divorced women were discriminated against in housing. Throw a few kids in there and it was really impossible. The alternative? Pop valium all day long and hope to die.

Married with kids and want to work outside the home? "NO wife of mine will ever get a job!" echoed throughout the land.

Once these rights are taken away from today's young women they may begin to rally and see how much they stand to forfeit and start getting to work. You and I are tired. We did our part and we tried to educate our younger sisters and daughters and granddaughters. Now its up to them and their enlightened male friends and relatives.

Excellent posts. I just tried to rep you several times but I need to spread it around now. I agree with everything you have been saying-especially freedom from thr employers religion.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,588,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Well, the same people (in general) that oppose that are the same people who whine about welfare and cry "why does she have so many children?" later.
I agree. I'm not complaining. I think birth control could solve a lot of social ans economic problems in the world.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Excellent posts. I just tried to rep you several times but I need to spread it around now. I agree with everything you have been saying-especially freedom from thr employers religion.
I graduated from high school 50 years ago. Can't believe we have our 50th reunion in a few weeks. A few of my friends were in committed relationships and a few slept around. We were in a university town and there were certainly a lot of temptations. The most popular cheerleader graduated 6 months pregnant and got married the following week cause married students were not allowed in our school. After her baby was born she got several scripts for BC from different doctors and sold them (the BC pills) to her friends. No central record keeping then.

All through college in the 60's no BC for single women. No safe abortions but lots of back alley butchers happy to help out a desperate girl ...with plenty of money. Also a few very brave doctors who put their entire lives and professions on the line to discretely help the daughter of a colleague or prominent politician. Everybody in town knew who they were.

I moved to D.C. in 68 and soon discovered many foreign embassies were known to have abortion clinics in the basements. These embassies were primarily for predominantly Latin American and Catholic countries. The officials had to have known what was going on. Everybody was making money.

I went with a girl friend once. I will never forget it. I wish I could erase the sight from my memory. At least 5 girls and women of all ages in various stages of pregnancy...one right after the other they filed into tiny rooms....
I know this thread isn't about abortion but I have to add that women with resources will always find a way to terminate an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy yet in many ways it is the woman with no money and little opportunity for improvement in her circumstances who needs it the most.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:59 AM

477 posts, read 375,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It was an extremely SAD DAY for Americans and especially for women. Hobby Lobby is a business and regardless of the SCOTUS businesses are not people. HL has huge investments in businesses which make contraceptives including those which can terminate a pregnancy and you won't see them divesting those investments any time soon. HL owners are hypocrites beyond words. I hope they fail and soon.
Exactly. It was a great day for hypocrisy, and a slap in the face to women. I will never shop at Hobby Lobby again. Ever. Not even after the Supreme Court ends up reversing themselves, as they will when they get hit with a flood of businesses wanting religious exemptions for everything from birth control to blood transfusions. While we're at it, boner pills ought to be disallowed on HL's insurance as well. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why should anyone but the person engaging in the sexual act pay for the contraception? If the answer is because the consequences are more of a burden then that is called blackmail.

I guess asking women to close their legs is too much to ask. If a woman can't figure out how to obtain contraceptives, then that woman and the man involved should be neutered or otherwise rendered incapable of engaging in the act.

Leave it to liberals to figure out a way to blame other for their inability to obtain contraception without getting others to pay for it.
Why should anyone but the people engaging in the sexual act pay for hospitilization costs, prenatal care, prenatal medications, related to the birth of a child? If the answer is because the consequences are more of a burden then that is called blackmail.

I guess asking men to keep it in their pants and limit their progeny is too much to ask. If a man can't figure out how to get a vasectomy, then that man and the woman involved should be neutered or otherwise rendered incapable of engaging in the act. Married or not, asking me to pay for your kids is extortionate.

Leave it to the conservatives to figure out a way to blame others for their inability to pay for their own children and families without getting others to pay for it.

EG - your post is one giant fail from start to finish. Birth control is preventative health care. EKGs and mammograms and colonoscopies are all examples of preventative health care aimed at early detection/prevention of later much more expensive health problems. Birth control is far and away cheaper than the costs of prenatal care and birth - and that is totally ignoring increased costs for providing health care to the newborn for the rest of its life. Birth control is way WAY cheaper than actual birth.

There's just no logic at all involved in your suppositions and assertions.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
very well said.^^^^^

Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd beg to differ, I had health insurance for years that didn't cover birth control of any kind. Including an IUD which I had to pay for in entirety. The difference was, it didn't occur to me that someone else should pay for my birth control.
This is a totally specious argument. Why should someone else pay for your heart attack? Or your fall from a ladder? Or your child's vaccinations? Or absolutely any other medical procedure whatsoever?

By these lights, all medical expenses should be out-of-pocket and medical insurance shouldn't even exist.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:35 PM
PJA

2,387 posts, read 2,376,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
This is a totally specious argument. Why should someone else pay for your heart attack? Or your fall from a ladder? Or your child's vaccinations? Or absolutely any other medical procedure whatsoever?

By these lights, all medical expenses should be out-of-pocket and medical insurance shouldn't even exist.

The same reason why someone should pay for your bc pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or