U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM

9,156 posts, read 6,342,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Might I ask, is your need for insulin due to adult onset diabetes? If so, there are many who could, and do argue, that your condition is entirely self-inflicted. Why should I or anyone contribute to your health care when you, and others in similar straits are entirely responsible for your poor health?

My premiums have gone up and up over the years to cover the health care costs of people who thought nothing of abusing themselves over the years and now routinely expect their friends and neighbors to contribute to their care via group insurance policies.
Seems the least you can do is pay it forward.
And by this same so-called "logic", you DON'T think pregnancy is self-inflicted?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM

9,156 posts, read 6,342,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know what's interesting? I see the constant bleating of republicans railing against countries where the islam religion has infiltrated politics & law yet they refuse to see how that very situation happens in this country & continues to happen. You don't see them railing against that, ever.
Perhaps you ought to go and live for a while in one of those countries where Sharia Law is the law of the land, and see how women are treated there. Perhaps with a little insight, you'd see how utterly inaccurate your above post really is......

Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 AM

12,082 posts, read 5,605,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Perhaps you ought to go and live for a while in one of those countries where Sharia Law is the law of the land, and see how women are treated there. Perhaps with a little insight, you'd see how utterly inaccurate your above post really is......
I read the news stories, thanks. You're making my point though. You're too blind to see that religion takes over politics & the law here. Why aren't you complaining about it? Hypocritical.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 3,246,698 times
Quote:
You know what's interesting? I see the constant bleating of republicans railing against countries where the islam religion has infiltrated politics & law yet they refuse to see how that very situation happens in this country & continues to happen. You don't see them railing against that, ever.
You know what's really interesting? I see the constant bleating of liberals railing against religious Christians yet they refuse to see how much milder and more enlightened the Christians are compared to the fundamentalist Muslims. In the Salafi/Wahabi, and Shi'ite theocracies like Saudi Arabia and Iran, women are property, no right to go to school or drive a car or vote (heck the men's votes don't count for anything either). Their genitals are surgically mutilated to prevent sexual pleasure. They are legally somewhere between dogs and children in terms of human rights.

Even in the more secular societies like Egypt and Turkey, the trend is away from freedom and equality, "democracy spring" notwithstanding.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You know what's really interesting? I see the constant bleating of liberals railing against religious Christians yet they refuse to see how much milder and more enlightened the Christians are compared to the fundamentalist Muslims. In the Salafi/Wahabi, and Shi'ite theocracies like Saudi Arabia and Iran, women are property, no right to go to school or drive a car or vote (heck the men's votes don't count for anything either). Their genitals are surgically mutilated to prevent sexual pleasure. They are legally somewhere between dogs and children in terms of human rights.

Even in the more secular societies like Egypt and Turkey, the trend is away from freedom and equality, "democracy spring" notwithstanding.
Actually, liberals DO rail against how women are treated in certain countries. Sorry to strike you down on that one.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM

3,429 posts, read 3,246,698 times
Quote:
Actually, liberals DO rail against how women are treated in certain countries. Sorry to strike you down on that one.
Let's see a couple of examples. The liberals seem to prefer to demonize their own fellow Americans for imagined slights, while ignoring the way women are treated in the truly sexist parts of the world. OK, we get it, liberals and conservatives disagree about abortion. But no one here thinks women should be deprived of the right to vote for Pete's sake.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Let's see a couple of examples. The liberals seem to prefer to demonize their own fellow Americans for imagined slights, while ignoring the way women are treated in the truly sexist parts of the world. OK, we get it, liberals and conservatives disagree about abortion. But no one here thinks women should be deprived of the right to vote for Pete's sake.
I beg to differ. Wasn't it that man Coulter who rued the day that women got the vote? Anyway, my point in all of this is that conservatives appear to invite the invasion of religion into politics & law while espousing against it in other countries.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

33,050 posts, read 12,521,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
A

In fact HL will pay for most birth control methods to be used by their employees. Since their religious beliefs preclude "abortifacient" methods, they don't want to have to cover the costs for their employees to use these methods, either for birth control or ending a pregnancy. And the SCOTUS ruling this week reverses the mandate by the Obama administration that these employers violate their religious beliefs by funding these birth control methods.

Those are the facts, despite your ongoing competition with your liberal friends over who can come up with the wildest speculative accusations against HL and other conservative-oned businesses, SCOTUS, your opposing political party, and anyone who disagrees with you.
Actually, the Supreme Court ruling on Tuesday (following the HL ruling) was that this applied to all 20 methods of birth control.

And once again, HL does not pay for their employees' health insurance.

HL employees work for and earn that health insurance. If they are like most employees, the also pay a portion of their premiums.

Health insurance is not a gift from employers, no more so than your paycheck or your sick days off.

Employees earn, (i.e. work for) their health insurance. Employers do not give it to them, like a Thanksgiving turkey, out of the goodness of their hearts.

What is so hard to grasp about this?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Wasn't it that man Coulter who rued the day that women got the vote? Anyway, my point in all of this is that conservatives appear to invite the invasion of religion into politics & law while espousing against it in other countries.
Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was Southern Blue Dog Democrats (now Southern Republicans) that were against the 19th amendment, and it was supported by Progressive Republicans (lost long ago), and signed by Woodrow Wilson.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM

33,050 posts, read 12,521,075 times
Quote:
Let's see a couple of examples.
BlisterPeanuts, here you are.

MoveOn.org Political Action: Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP's War on Women

1) Republicans not only want to reduce women's access to abortion care, they're actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven't yet. Shocker.

2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to "accuser." But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain "victims."

3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)

4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.

5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.

6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids' preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.

7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.

8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.

9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.

10) And if that wasn't enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can't make this stuff up).

Don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or