U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM

12,071 posts, read 5,599,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was Southern Blue Dog Democrats (now Southern Republicans) that were against the 19th amendment, and it was supported by Progressive Republicans (lost long ago), and signed by Woodrow Wilson.
Happy to see my state was one of three to be the first to ratify.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM

33,041 posts, read 12,506,296 times
I'm kind of hoping that conservatives keep this up. One by one, potential voters are going, "OMG. You've got to kidding."

Nope.

Who would want to live in the dog-eat-dog world envisioned by conservatives?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wasn't it that man Coulter who rued the day that women got the vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Happy to see my state was one of three to be the first to ratify.
Before we get too carried away patting ourselves on the back, it is worth remembering that the ERA, guaranteeing equal rights for women, still has not passed.

Equal Rights Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution designed to guarantee equal rights for women. The ERA was originally written by Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman. In 1923, it was introduced in the Congress for the first time. In 1972, it passed both houses of Congress and went to the state legislatures for ratification.

The resolution in Congress that proposed the amendment set a ratification deadline of March 22, 1979. Through 1977, the amendment received 35 of the necessary 38 state ratifications. Five states later rescinded their ratifications before the 1979 deadline, though the validity of these rescissions is disputed.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM

If I were a Democrat, I believe that this would be a great time to work at getting the ERA passed. We'd all see who would stand up and be counted as a supporter of equal rights for women.

Might be an eye opener.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Before we get too carried away patting ourselves on the back, it is worth remembering that the ERA, guaranteeing equal rights for women, still has not passed.

Equal Rights Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution designed to guarantee equal rights for women. The ERA was originally written by Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman. In 1923, it was introduced in the Congress for the first time. In 1972, it passed both houses of Congress and went to the state legislatures for ratification.

The resolution in Congress that proposed the amendment set a ratification deadline of March 22, 1979. Through 1977, the amendment received 35 of the necessary 38 state ratifications. Five states later rescinded their ratifications before the 1979 deadline, though the validity of these rescissions is disputed.
Oh yeah, that's another one where I see the amount of women who were against it & just have to **** my head & go "Huh?"

Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If I were a Democrat, I believe that this would be a great time to work at getting the ERA passed. We'd all see who would stand up and be counted as a supporter of equal rights for women.

Might be an eye opener.
I think it would be predictable as to who would support & who would not support.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But no one here thinks women should be deprived of the right to vote for Pete's sake.
Well yes they do. These ridiculous laws requiring picture IDs to vote are taking away the right to vote of poor and older voters. But since these are the people who typically vote Democratic this is exactly what the Republicans want--to take away the right to vote to the very people who need representation the most.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
I was an ERA warrior. I don't think it will pass because we have idiots like Phyllis Schlafly who spout off that there would never be separate bathrooms and we should meet our poor tired husbands at the door wrapped in saran wrap to prove we are "real women". And today so many republicans and gun toting nuts would jump on that bandwagon with their guns and rifles in hand. Also it would bring Sarah Palin out from under her rock thinking she has a mandate from people "who really love America." No thank you. As long as I don't watch Fox I am spared having to hear or see her anymore.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was an ERA warrior. I don't think it will pass because we have idiots like Phyllis Schlafly who spout off that there would never be separate bathrooms and we should meet our poor tired husbands at the door wrapped in saran wrap to prove we are "real women". And today so many republicans and gun toting nuts would jump on that bandwagon with their guns and rifles in hand. Also it would bring Sarah Palin out from under her rock thinking she has a mandate from people "who really love America." No thank you. As long as I don't watch Fox I am spared having to hear or see her anymore.
I don't know if it will pass, but I would love to see politicians talk about how they are not anti-woman but they are going to vote against the Equal Rights Amendment anyway.

When we rallying for the cause, there was all this talk about how women would have to serve in the military and wouldn't that be awful.

Hello.

Women are serving and making us all proud. Women make up a significant percentage of the classes at Annapolis, West Point, and the Air Force Academy. There is still some yammering about how women can't carry the heavy packs that men do, but by and large things haven't been anywhere near the disaster that was predicted forty years ago.

Let the gun toting nuts jump on the bandwagon. I think it will bring into sharp relief what's going on and bring out voters in droves to stand up to this nuttiness.

Phyllis Schlafly, bless her soul, is nearly 90. I'd love to see her take one more loop around the circuit lecturing about how women should stay home. Too funny.

And I miss Sarah Palin. She's a hoot. I loved it when she talked about the good farmers and factor workers of Wasilla. (There are no farms or factories in Wasilla, unless you count the and meth labs and surely, she wasn't referring to that.) I'd love to see her speak out against the Equal Rights Amendment, with the ever faithful Todd in tow.

It think the ERA warriors ought to give it one more go round before we're too old and don't care any more.

What do you say?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was an ERA warrior. I don't think it will pass because we have idiots like Phyllis Schlafly who spout off that there would never be separate bathrooms and we should meet our poor tired husbands at the door wrapped in saran wrap to prove we are "real women".
If I ever met my husband at the door wrapped in Saran wrap, I'd better have a defibrillator charged and ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or