U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,199,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I agree with this, and the idea that somehow everyone is getting a free ride cracks me up. Reagan stopped mental health care, so we still support them, but now they're in jails. I don't think very few that get assistance wouldn't much rather have a good paying job. This perception of everyone being like Peggy Bundy sitting on the couch eating Bon Bon talking on their free cell phone Bush signed for is amazing. They buy into this message as it is spread and pledge their allegiance just as it is intended to do. Independence is gone once this indoctrination is completed.

This bragging about what he's done is quite another thing too. My dad always told me never to tell anybody anything, but let them see your work ethic. That alone will be enough, and you won't have to answer to anyone. It worked well for me.
But you didn't brag when you posted about buying American cars and all that junk? Get the log out of your own eye before pointing out the speck in mine.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I find it interesting that you had to quote my post 3 times.

Sure, no one forces anyone to work at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. They can chose not to work because there are many communities where Wal-Mart is the only place TO work. And as for educational opportunities-there are many people who would LOVE to go to school but just can't afford it-even taking classes at a community college. When some people have to chose between food or heat, taking classes is just off the table. And another thing is when are they going to have time. Many are working more than one job.

You worked your way out of poverty-I say good for you. I'm sure you had some help. You said that you are a veteran. I'm sure you have had some help from the V.A. or Uncle Sam. I know I have had help from the V.A. & from Uncle Sam. But not everyone has that help.

Cat
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather a hundred times to have my arm back. I asked before, was your disability combat related? You can get disability from getting drunk and crashing your car on the way back to base. Yours is same excuses. "I didn't have the money". The government makes student loans and most are never paid back. Many local governments as well as the federal government provide job training. Many commercial firms offer apprenticeship training in plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc. You have to get off your butt and seek.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,597,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather a hundred times to have my arm back. I asked before, was your disability combat related? You can get disability from getting drunk and crashing your car on the way back to base. Yours is same excuses. "I didn't have the money". The government makes student loans and most are never paid back. Many local governments as well as the federal government provide job training. Many commercial firms offer apprenticeship training in plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc. You have to get off your butt and seek.
You are wrong about student loans.

Graph of National Student Loan Default Rates

I'm enjoying seeing how twisted some ideals can be.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,597,834 times
Quote:
But you didn't brag when you posted about buying American cars and all that junk? Get the log out of your own eye before pointing out the speck in mine.
Buying local and American is an ideal, and not a boast. It is about paying forward the blessing we have received. My wife counts money for the Salvation Army during the holidays would not be a boast.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Buying local and American is an ideal, and not a boast. It is about paying forward the blessing we have received. My wife counts money for the Salvation Army during the holidays would not be a boast.
But because I served my country, give to the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, my church, provided a few jobs for families, and work dipping food out to the homeless at the Rescue Mission, I am someone to be ridiculed and called unpatriotic.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM

14,003 posts, read 6,358,684 times
Quote:
But because I served my country, give to the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, my church, provided a few jobs for families, and work dipping food out to the homeless at the Rescue Mission, I am someone to be ridiculed and called unpatriotic.
No, you're being ridiculed because you seem to think serving in the military somehow makes you more special than the rest, makes you more of a citizen & contributor. Now, you were paid in the military, right? You took advantage of G.I benefits? Those benefits that ALL taxpayers fund? In essence, doesn't that mean you haven't paid your own way, what you so incessantly love to quote?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, you're being ridiculed because you seem to think serving in the military somehow makes you more special than the rest, makes you more of a citizen & contributor. Now, you were paid in the military, right? You took advantage of G.I benefits? Those benefits that ALL taxpayers fund? In essence, doesn't that mean you haven't paid your own way, what you so incessantly love to quote?
Like I said, I rather have my arm back. Yes, I did draw a little bit of pay while I was in the Army. I also received combat pay. How much were you making while I was drawing military pay. No, I did not use the GI Bill for education when I got back. I could have but I got married and took on on two jobs. Yes, military benefits are benefits taxpayers fund. They are also earned benefits by military men and women. They earn those benefits by being in combat with their life and limbs at risk. Remember, unlike today's Army which is an all volunteer Army, a whole bunch of us who were unmarried and not in college were drafted into service.

If you believe the little pay a private in the Army gets for being shot and wounded or killed is worth it, you go try it out.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 PM

14,003 posts, read 6,358,684 times
Quote:
Like I said, I rather have my arm back. Yes, I did draw a little bit of pay while I was in the Army. I also received combat pay. How much were you making while I was drawing military pay. No, I did not use the GI Bill for education when I got back. I could have but I got married and took on on two jobs. Yes, military benefits are benefits taxpayers fund. They are also earned benefits by military men and women. They earn those benefits by being in combat with their life and limbs at risk. Remember, unlike today's Army which is an all volunteer Army, a whole bunch of us who were unmarried and not in college were drafted into service.

If you believe the little pay a private in the Army gets for being shot and wounded or killed is worth it, you go try it out.
Doesn't matter, your pay & benefits/education are funded by the public. You have absolutely no leg to stand on when you come on here & bleat loudly about people paying their own way. What a crock. Your argument is dead.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,799,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Doesn't matter, your pay & benefits/education are funded by the public. You have absolutely no leg to stand on when you come on here & bleat loudly about people paying their own way. What a crock. Your argument is dead.
Yep. Also interesting how he earned his benefits, but people who work for companies like Hobby Lobby didn't earn quality health care coverage. People being women, who are the bulk of their employees and customers. Bit of a double standard there, eh?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
Hey the human being. I'll trade you your lost arm for one brother, two fiances , three neighbors (two from the same family), 3 cousins and god knows how many school friends.

There are many ways to serve your country. Being in the military isn't the only way. Losing a body part isn't the only way.

My father was a career Army officer, retiring after 30 years a Bird Colonel. He got a WWII battlefield commission, was in the first graduating class at Ft. Sill OCS (where I was born). We moved all over the world almost every 2 years until I was in high school and then he served a 13 month solitary in Korea so we wouldn't have to move at the end of high school. He, my mother and my brother and I all served our country the way I see it.

I worked in the pentagon during the VN war (DOA DCSPER) until I saw the light and couldn't support the "effort" any more. I lost a great deal to that war even if I didn't go to VN myself. I served my country when I marched against that war and rallied my friends and neighbors to petition our government to stop that nonsense. I was as patriotic as you seem to think you were even if we approached it in different ways.
So get off your I'm A Patriot and You're Not High Horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or