U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM

734 posts, read 763,182 times

Advertisements

He was wrong but they were probably going to throw out most of them anyway. Good food going to waste when there are so many hungry people, especially children who would love to eat those muffins.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Restaurants don't want to have homeless hanging round there place at the end of the night to get the Day/old's for safely, security reasons.
^^^^ This.

I'm also guessing there was a bit more to it.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,394,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You have to wonder how many muffins or other kind of food Cracker Barrel throws away daily for being out too long/too old, etc. And is whatever profit CB gets from a lousy muffin worth the bad publicity they're getting for taking a hard line and firing a kindly (yet possibly misguided) employee
Irrelevant. If that employee asked the manager if it was OK to give a homeless guy a stale muffin, that's one thing. Like others said, he essentially stole from his employer. It's petty theft, granted, but theft just the same. The outrage here is over his age and veteran status. Ask yourselves, those of you who feel the indignation over those two factors, what your feelings would be if he was a 21-year-old kid with long hair and an earring.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
That's the world today. A lowly employee isn't supposed to give anything away even if they bought it. Giant corporations have no room for that. OTOH word of freebies can get around quickly for the not-really-needy.

Employers everywhere tend to frown upon employees giving away their property without paying for it, even if it is for a good cause.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
He was wrong but they were probably going to throw out most of them anyway. Good food going to waste when there are so many hungry people, especially children who would love to eat those muffins.

A lot of places end up donating day old baked goods....etc. Panera is one that comes to mind.

I think this is a PR nightmare for Cracker Barrel because it looks like they are picking on a vet and an elderly guy all in one but even the guy admitted that he was in the wrong. Since he had been warned multiple times about just giving stuff away, its hard to argue that this wasn't the inevitable conclusion.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,256,610 times
Kindness is still kindness....sorry.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,228,799 times
I love how black and white everyone's morals are, like the cracker barrel is some little business that can't handle three worthless items over this guy's 3 years of employment. They probably waste half their inventory every night anyway.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Oh, for pity sake---it was a muffin, not the Holy Grail

Do people have any idea how much food is thrown away every day by restaurants, grocery stores, etc? I read somewhere about half of perfectly good food is thrown away!

My dd works at a fast-food place, she is appalled at the waste. I've worked in food service, we threw away about as much food as we served.

I suppose I deserved to be fired. Back in my 20's, I worked in a college cafeteria while a student. After breakfast was over, the doors were closed, a lady came pounding frantically. I opened the door, she said she was diabetic and going hypo, could she have something, anything, a cup of coffee with sugar? I let her in, she got herself some coffee, and I went in the back and found a large coffee cake ready to be tossed,. I cut two generous pieces and brought to her. She looked surprised and grateful. The lady was shaking, and she was turning a ghastly shade of gray---she was AA, and she looked almost a grayish-purple.

I let her be as I closed up, then asked if she was ok, she said she was fine, and her color had returned. We both left and went about our business. Ok, that was about 30 years ago. I guess now, I would have been fired for theft----a cup of coffee that was going to be thrown out, some packs of sugar, and, of course, the coffee cake. Did it make any difference she was a student, on a board plan, so she couldn't very well steal what she had paid for.

Also, I suppose I should have called 911---except we didn't have 911 then. I don't know what we did, guess we just used common sense. If she just said she was hungry, well, that wouldn't be a medical emergency, but she said she was diabetic and going hypo. Hey, I've had the same thing happen, the best remedy is some quick sugar, which I gave her. But, as an employee of MSU, I probably could have gotten the whole university into big trouble if she went into a coma, etc. That's why I purposely stayed another 15 min, watching her. She appeared fine, her color returned, she stopped shaking, we walked out together.

Well, in today's world, the "right" thing would be NOT to let her in the cafeteria, NOT to give her anything, and call 911 or security, who would then take her to the ER, where she would sit and wait and wait, then, the first thing the do is ask her if she's had her flu shot, then, she passes out, then, they think she's on drugs, then, then, then........but everything is done "appropriately"

Would I have done it again, in this day and age? I don't know..........

Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM

11,362 posts, read 6,786,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
If I felt generous, I would pay the tab for that homeless man out of my billfold !
Problem is, too many people seek to pay too large a tab out of the wallets of somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I love how black and white everyone's morals are, like the cracker barrel is some little business that can't handle three worthless items over this guy's 3 years of employment. They probably waste half their inventory every night anyway.
Thank you, Exhibit 'A'

Cracker Barrel is, admittedly, an enterprise founded and dominated by Fundamentalist social conservatives who think (as you seem to) that their beliefs are good for everybody. But that doesn't give me the right to overrule their reasoning, only to take my patronage elsewhere.

If that's too "black and white" for you, there's a possibility that some of your logic is a little too "gray" for me.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-30-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,394,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Kindness is still kindness....sorry.
And law is still law. Kindness doesn't supersede law, so he got what he deserved...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or