U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,102,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
From one of the most politically partisan posters on CD? I'm confused now?
I guess he is telling us how it works from his perspective. A light shining of information. I suspected as much. I have posted some things that got something like 10 replies all from the same type person all making fun and attacking. So they gang up in packs. Coward packs.

Just because he is giving us this info does not mean he does not participate in it, just admitting it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,102,615 times
Default Misery Loves company

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why would anyone want to be a deliberate troll?
Haters hate for pleasure. Misery loves company-bring others down to their miserable level or try to.

I have been going on-line less due to the trolls.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM

877 posts, read 1,073,373 times
Yahoo articles began blocking the word "black" and "blacks" because if an article ever includes African Americans (even if it's a child), the typical American begins to express their opinions on race.

The comments on the Steubenville case were disturbing on some articles.

Many news articles will not allow comments or the comments are moderated.

People are often hateful, but can only express their hate online without facing any repercussions.

There are a lot of people who think the way the commenters feel, but it's not socially acceptable to express said opinions out loud

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 06-30-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,325,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is that how you do it?
I do not have a FB page.....I do have a feature on DC to report a personal attack......so I used it.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 PM

3,379 posts, read 3,939,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I believe this is why a lot of sites are connecting their forum to facebook. If you want to post, you have to log in with your facebook account. Once the anonymity is removed, people are less apt to leave hateful remarks.
Oh, so that is why I cannot comment on some stories I'd like to. I am not a rude commenter, however, I just like to state my thoughts on some stories/situations. I am not a FB user by choice. I get so annoyed that one has to be a FB member to do a lot of things, especially when I cannot enter a sweepstakes. Thanks for clarifying this, I can understand the reasoning now due to your explaination.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,746,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yahoo articles began blocking the word "black" and "blacks" because if an article ever includes African Americans (even if it's a child), the typical American begins to express their opinions on race.
Why doesn't yahoo just not allow comments on certain stories, that seems smarter than blocking words. Did you happen to follow the story of the Detroit beating of Mr. Utash and read the comments? Or did you read comments on sites after the Newtown school shooting? There are haters of every color, it goes both ways on forums and news sites. I wouldn't say it's a "typical" American behavior to leap to racist remarks. People are angry and tired of gangsters and thugs (of any color), killing and robbing innocent folks. I'm also tired of lenient sentences that allows thugs (like the one that shot and killed Hadiya Pendleton) back out on the street with a slap on the wrist. Had that punk still be locked up for his last weapons charge, she might very well be alive today. Make them serve at least 85 percent of their original sentence, as they do in Florida.

I do think that when a crime is committed and the news source writes a story about it a complete description of the individual should be included if available. A detailed description can be crucial to catching the offender. Why even bother at all without giving all the facts regarding the perpetrator.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,536,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why would anyone want to be a deliberate troll?
Who knows WHY, but we all know it happens all the time, at least I thought we ALL knew it...

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 AM

877 posts, read 1,073,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Why doesn't yahoo just not allow comments on certain stories, that seems smarter than blocking words. Did you happen to follow the story of the Detroit beating of Mr. Utash and read the comments? Or did you read comments on sites after the Newtown school shooting? There are haters of every color, it goes both ways on forums and news sites. I wouldn't say it's a "typical" American behavior to leap to racist remarks. People are angry and tired of gangsters and thugs (of any color), killing and robbing innocent folks. I'm also tired of lenient sentences that allows thugs (like the one that shot and killed Hadiya Pendleton) back out on the street with a slap on the wrist. Had that punk still be locked up for his last weapons charge, she might very well be alive today. Make them serve at least 85 percent of their original sentence, as they do in Florida.

I do think that when a crime is committed and the news source writes a story about it a complete description of the individual should be included if available. A detailed description can be crucial to catching the offender. Why even bother at all without giving all the facts regarding the perpetrator.
At one point yahoo did begin blocking the comments on certain articles but I can't say whether it was due to them updating yahoo in general, or just blocking comments.

Sometimes if the comments are out of control they will close the comment section. I've seen it happen on random articles where moderation is just not an option.

I notice gangsters and thugs are terms only used when it's a person of color. But when it's not, then there's obviously some mental illness behind it and we must not blame little Timmy for his actions.

Even when I read through the comments about that African American (think his parents were Nigerian) who was accepted into 8 Ivy leagues, you had a bunch of people who aren't of color ranting about how they were rejected from Harvard due to affirmative action. Judging by their comments they were rejected because they aren't too bright!

It could be a simple positive article and somehow they manage to turn it into a race issue.

blacks and whites in general appear to have issues they need to get over. I mean, they blocked black and not white for a reason. Because somehow everything is a race issue with a certain demographic

Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM

9,694 posts, read 6,983,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
From one of the most politically partisan posters on CD? I'm confused now?
Maybe that's how he knows about those notifications?

I certainly wouldn't have known....

Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM

197 posts, read 242,373 times
I see this all the time and I think it is a very sad commentary on society (for the most part, I know everyone isn't like this).

More and more hate is being spewed by anonymous people who have NO clue about any given situation - such as the car accident posted above. There was a recent shooting in our community, 3 people dead. The posts. Oh. From people who don't even know these people.

I really fight with myself anymore to read anything online. I find City-Data to be very welcoming and, for the most part, people who post CAN have differing opinions without the hateful, judgmental comments. I appreciate that very much.

But it makes me sad to see that our society is coming to a place like this. I hope there is a turn-around soon. Somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or