U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,729,202 times

Advertisements

Date: June 27, 2014
Source: University of Utah

As someone who haunts online political discussion forums I can attest to this.

The problem is simple - anonymity! They hide behind unreal user names and avatars and fear no retribution for their cruel remarks and personal attacks.

Some site administrators and moderators do try to curb this but it's an overwhelming task. I know of one site that folded because it got too nasty, verging on libel.

Summary:
Quote:
Anyone who’s ever ventured into the comments section of a news website has likely observed some unfriendly exchanges. Now research has confirmed just how common such behavior is. The study found that more than 1 in 5 comments included some form of incivility, with name-calling as the most prevalent type.
Read more @ How common are cruel comments posted to online news sites? -- ScienceDaily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM

13,478 posts, read 9,602,375 times
It's very common. Locally, the Las Vegas Sun and the Review Journal newspapers outsourced their online comments section due to this type of behavior. I believe MSN even did away with theirs entirely.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,398,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Date: June 27, 2014
Source: University of Utah

As someone who haunts online political discussion forums I can attest to this.

The problem is simple - anonymity! They hide behind unreal user names and avatars and fear no retribution for their cruel remarks and personal attacks.

Some site administrators and moderators do try to curb this but it's an overwhelming task. I know of one site that folded because it got too nasty, verging on libel.

Summary:

Read more @ How common are cruel comments posted to online news sites? -- ScienceDaily
I believe this is why a lot of sites are connecting their forum to facebook. If you want to post, you have to log in with your facebook account. Once the anonymity is removed, people are less apt to leave hateful remarks.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:39 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I believe this is why a lot of sites are connecting their forum to facebook. If you want to post, you have to log in with your facebook account. Once the anonymity is removed, people are less apt to leave hateful remarks.
Unless you use a fake name and FB page...just to be as nasty as you would like.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,398,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I didn't say it was a 100% foolproof idea, but I know on my local newspaper, the insults have definitely gone down.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

12,059 posts, read 5,599,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why would anyone want to be a deliberate troll?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It happens.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,079,396 times
I read about a homeless man that was beaten in my hometown, and some of the comments were horrible. IE: "he deserved it" "great, now the tax payer must pick up the medical" and on and on. I was amazed how many could be so callous to a man who's greatest fault was being unfortunate.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,729,202 times
Quote:
You have to realize that there is a system whereby alerts go out to a circle of posters when certain topics are started. They then go to their playbook to respond according to the organizations they belong to. Many of those responses are carefully scripted.

When their positions are attacked, they instantly go into the assault mode which includes viscous personal attacks.

That is what moderators and administrators are faced with.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 PM

13,478 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Quote:
There was some sort of study about that. I don't have the link handy.

I guess we can all be grateful that these people get out their aggression online and don't end up doing something in real-life as heinous as their online posts would suggest.

That said, I've gotten into heated discussions and been mod-slapped once or twice. Not for name calling though.

In my local forum, some random new guy on the forum wanted to know where he could buy a handgun without the registration / background check. Some "helpful" poster who is a frequent visitor to my hometown, but does NOT live here, told this random guy where he obtained his. I might have said "Too bad you didn't shoot yourself in the face with it."

I later cooled off and apologized. I just didn't think it was cool of him to be telling someone he doesn't even know how to obtain an unregistered weapon in someone else's community.

I'm a Second Amendment rights supporter, like most Nevadans, but this guy really pissed me off. Would I have said that to his face? Probably, but with some expletives that hit the filter here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or