U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:23 PM
 
5,679 posts, read 3,222,984 times
Reputation: 6663

Advertisements

Just had funny thought about VIAGRA. Questions for males on that one. How old are you? Married? How old is your WIFE? Post-menopausal and cannot make babies? Viagra denied beause the purpose of intercouse is to PROCREATE. Find yourself a young honey who can still make babies, and then we religious will approve your Viagra script based on RELIGION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:23 PM
PJA
 
2,387 posts, read 2,385,117 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You avoided the major points, and focused on the minutia. The larger point was the precedent.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree about this one.
True lol

I'm looking at the precedent as well. I don't like the precedent of the government being able to tell someone how to conduct their business. They already do in a limited sense...they need no more power. However if the government were just to take over healthcare altogether, then they wouldn't have to worry about infringing on others rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
 
13,488 posts, read 9,661,530 times
Reputation: 17437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Meaning they are still being forced to do something. I think that this all sets a dangerous precedent which is why IMO if the government wants to get involved, they should take over completely. Then we won't have to worry about personal freedoms and liberties being taken away.
They should have whipped out the actuarial tables, figured out the costs for "Medicare For Everyone" and offered everyone a chance to opt-in or opt out.

They didn't do that. So we can only swim in the river we are in, and this SCOTUS decision hurt all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 1,711,551 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Jobs have been doing that for years, dropping certain benefits when they deem necessary. When one of my jobs years ago decided to stop covering vision, while I was disappointed, I didn't feel like they were inputting themselves into my medical care. I just had to pay out of pocket until I got a job that actually had vision.
But the law required employers to get group plans that cover certain benefits. If your employer was not legally authorized to stop covering vision, then your argument would hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM
PJA
 
2,387 posts, read 2,385,117 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
But the law required employers to get group plans that cover certain benefits. If your employer was not legally authorized to stop covering vision, then your argument would hold.
Yes but the point is IMO the government shouldn't be forcing employers to do anything to do with what benefits they offer their employees. If the government deems certain things necessary then they should just take over health care completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,126,519 times
Reputation: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Meaning they are still being forced to do something. I think that this all sets a dangerous precedent which is why IMO if the government wants to get involved, they should take over completely. Then we won't have to worry about personal freedoms and liberties being taken away.
So should we stop paying taxes, and obeying the law? Shall remove traffic sides and drive anywhere we want? We are a great nation, because we are not anarchists. Yours is a false ideal. The ACA was required, because Wall Street, and the nations employers weren't doing right by Americans. I'll never understand the hypocrisy of personal responsibility, but I can tell a woman what to do with her body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
PJA
 
2,387 posts, read 2,385,117 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They should have whipped out the actuarial tables, figured out the costs for "Medicare For Everyone" and offered everyone a chance to opt-in or opt out.

They didn't do that. So we can only swim in the river we are in, and this SCOTUS decision hurt all of us.
Its still not too late to come up with a better healthcare solution. I think we could all agree that anything would be better than the status quo.

Insurance companies are the really the big issue in regards to healthcare reform IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
 
13,488 posts, read 9,661,530 times
Reputation: 17437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
But the law required employers to get group plans that cover certain benefits. If your employer was not legally authorized to stop covering vision, then your argument would hold.
The thing is, is that he basically took a pay cut when they cancelled the benefit he was using.

Employers should just get out of the healthcare benefits business. It hurts the employee, it hurts the employer, it hurts the economy, and only benefits big health insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,184 posts, read 6,384,223 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I don't think you understand what abortifacient means, and you also seem to be ignorant of the human physiology of pregnancy. A pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus. An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. Fertilized eggs that are not implanted in the uterus do not result in pregnancy. This occurs naturally, and can also be induced by medical technology.

What you are suggesting is an unsupported and radical definition of abortion. Fertilized eggs do not implant naturally. Failure to implant is not an abortion.
Actually, those that have religious (or other) beliefs regarding life beginning at conception do believe that human interference with implantation of a fertilized embryo IS a form of abortion. There is no debate about whether or not failure of a fertilized embryo to implant occurs naturally for any number of reasons, and I think most everyone who's gone through high school biology ( or middle school sex education) has at least a nodding acquaintance with the process of fertilization, transfer of a fertilized ovum to the uterus, and implantation. The debate stands with human interference with this process, you may call it medical technology if you like, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
PJA
 
2,387 posts, read 2,385,117 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
So should we stop paying taxes, and obeying the law? Shall remove traffic sides and drive anywhere we want? We are a great nation, because we are not anarchists. Yours is a false ideal. The ACA was required, because Wall Street, and the nations employers weren't doing right by Americans. I'll never understand the hypocrisy of personal responsibility, but I can tell a woman what to do with her body.
Where did I ever say any such thing in my post? Please don't put words in my mouth....or in this case in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top