Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

Just how does the ruling stop anyone who works at Hobby Lobby from going out and buying the contraceptives of their choice?

Keep it simple because it really is.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Forget the religious smoke screen. My real concern is that this could be the beginning of companies trying to back out of providing overall health care. Like well you are gay and gays have a higher rate of aids then non-gays so we will not cover you as you are gay. You played sports in school so you prone to having knee problems so we will not cover you as you played sports in high school. You are a women and chances are you might get pregnant so we will not cover you as you are a women.
Yup. Corporations are in business to make money- that's indisputable. They are concerned about the bottom line, and that's their job. Under the current system, employees with potential healthcare risks are expensive, (they are) and pose a risk to the bottom line.An employee of a small business (300 employees) contracted a very expensive disease, and our premiums went up. A lot.

Let me tell a story from personal experience. In 1993 I was working as a medical assistant when a guy came in to get his drug screening for his new job. This was before HIPAA (the act everyone seems to hate so much) so he did not have the right to view his own medical record. I was to fax the results to the employer. When I looked at the results, I was shocked.

They did not only include the usual suspects like a screen for MJ, cocaine, etc. They also included a screen for the host of well-known anti-hypertensives (blood pressure pills) diabetic medications, and statins which are used to treat high cholesterol. Do you all understand the ramifications of this? Are you, The People, OK with it?

Don't anybody tell me it didn't happen, because I held the results in my own hand. He, the patient, was not allowed to see them and probably would not have understood the drug names anyway.

This is what we get when we insist on the employer-based health insurance model. It SUCKS, and if we could all stop listening to Fox News or MSNBC and finally got on the same page FOR ONCE, we'd be doing ourselves and our children a service.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Forget the religious smoke screen. My real concern is that this could be the beginning of companies trying to back out of providing overall health care. Like well you are gay and gays have a higher rate of aids then non-gays so we will not cover you as you are gay. You played sports in school so you prone to having knee problems so we will not cover you as you played sports in high school. You are a women and chances are you might get pregnant so we will not cover you as you are a women.
There is another argument where people promise not to go down the slippery slope except those making the promises are the liberals. I find it rather strange that when the shoe is on the other foot, all the cries of foul suddenly need to be taken seriously. I'm sure you can figure out what I'm referring to.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
According to the law of the land, a woman has that right. So be it and no argument but the shoes have to fit both feet. Getting pregnant is something a woman can control.

If a woman has the right to get an abortion, surely she has the right to keep her legs closed and avoid the entire situation to start with, doesn't she?

This isn't about the rights of women, it is about the rights of some people dictating to others how they spend money and resources. It can't be a complete free for all yet that is what is being argued on this thread.

There are alternatives to contraception. The problem, when you get right down to the nitty gritty is that the alternatives are what some people want, isn't that right?

There are always people who in dire need of water will complain about the water being offered in a cup instead of a glass. Drink the darn water.

If you really want contraception, pay for it yourself. What is so difficult about that? Nothing. If you can't afford it, then by all means, don't engage in the behavior that can lead to getting pregnant. Apparently that is too much to ask yet is it easy enough to ask and then demand everyone pay for the consequences of the pregnancy.

This isn't about women's rights. It is about what is and is not a right.
Does HL, or any of these religious companies, pay for Natural Family Planning clinics for married women? Cross her legs? ROFL Can you say D I V O R C E?????? You must not be married to promote abstinence for every single woman of childbrearing age, regardless of her martial status.

Only unmarried SLUTS use birth control. Rush LIVES! What does he know? Married 5 times and childless????? Hmmm.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
A precedence has been established that for profit corporations can modify health benefits based on religious beliefs. If you cant understand the impact of this I am sorry.
Liberal talking point #202... you regurgitate well.....

Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does your employer pay for your car insurance or do you?

Do they pay for your gas?
My husband's employer pays for our HEALTH insurance. Why are you trying to change the subject?

You can thank the employers of the 40s and 50s for this mess. They are the ones who decided to offer health insurance benefits in lieu of higher wages/salaries.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
"Each fund's portfolio consists of at least dozens if not hundreds of different holdings."

/talking point.
I would think if these medications were such an affront to Hobby Lobby they'd know whether they were investing large amounts of money into them.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Just how does the ruling stop anyone who works at Hobby Lobby from going out and buying the contraceptives of their choice?

Keep it simple because it really is.

Anyone?

It doesn't but you are missing the point. BIG TIME. Not surprised...

Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Liberal talking point #202... you regurgitate well.....

Lacking a reasonable argument I'll place a label. If we were talking the 2nd amendment you'd be screaming like a school girl. I'm actually more conservative than you'll ever know, but not a faux news sheeple like some. If you can't see the loss in allowing religion to interfere with our law here you are truly at a loss.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

My feeling, apart from the obvious, is that a whole lot of female employees are going to get blindsighted when their bosses disclose their religion
Think there are that many female employees taking morning after pills they can't afford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events