Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe they can FIRE them because they are using their employer',s wages to buy contracpetives. As Justice Scalia said, which is CATHOLIC teaching, facilitating in immoral practices in preventing conception, "abortifacient" or not, is immoral and a "grave sin". Pehaps these Catholic justices should have recused themselves from this case because THEIR religion forbids all contraceptives and they are prejudiced in this case? Kuddos to FEMALE, and ALL female Justices on the Court, Catholic Justice Soltomayer who dissented. EXCOMMUNICATE her for not not ruling what her religion teaches?

DECLARE you religion, companies. Put up a cross on your building so women can choose not only your employment, but also patronize your business, and give THEIR money, for your PROFITS. Not fair?????

I do not work for Chik Fil A or Barilla Pasta. I do not agree with their RELIGIOUS views on gays either. I will not darken the doorway of a Chik Fil A. I threw in the garbage every box of Barilla pasta I had. I have that RIGHT as a Consumer. Ditto for Hobby Lobby, Domino's, Papa John's, etc., etc.

While their poor employees are under their religious thumbs, the CONSUMER certainly ISN'T. Again, tell me you are a religious company so I can refuse your services and products.

BTW, there are lists going up right now on the Net on other religious for profit companies opposing contraceptive coverage. I bookmarked that one. Last I looked it is up to 300 companies bringing suit on the contraceptive mandate. Thank you, as a consumer. I have that right to know, and refuse to give you my business based on MY religous views.

Well said and can you please PM me that list, I'd like to share it with everyone I know - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Sigh, these woman are PAYING FOR HEALTH INSURANCE and the standard for DECADES has been to cover woman's birth control, like IUD's that are now no longer covered under HL. I hope all those woman HL employee's will be able to find work somewhere else. NO company should be able to dictate something like this. Ginsburg got it right. Oh and btw, BC pills and IUD's are used for more than birth control they are often utilized for underlying health conditions, so now if a woman has one of these conditions the health insurance they are PAYING for will no longer be covered.

I just wonder if it was a Jehovah's Witness owned company who didn't believe in blood products if the outcome would have been the same. This ruling has opened the doors for corps to screw their employee's.

This is not religious freedom it's religious tyranny. Now woman will need to research companies to make sure there healthcare needs are met through the company health insurance and even then, they could change their tune. What about the current HL employees - they have been left holding the bag - paying good money for HI premiums that no longer cover their healthcare needs. If you pay for health care insurance you should be covered for ANY health care needs and those choices should be between the patient and the doctor NOT a corporation.

I pay for healthcare insurance, and not all of my needs are covered. I have to pay for pocket out of things that are not covered. I remember my dental insurance stopped covering braces right before I was told I needed to get them. My vision insurance stopped doing the lasik eye surgery, after I had saved up the money to pay for my portion. Then my insurance company stopped covering Advair which didn't affect me but one of my coworkers whose doctor subscribed it to help prevent her sons asthma attacks. The insurance company decided a rescue inhaler was enough. Sometimes she's able to appeal the decision and get it covered but is not successful every time, so she just pays out of her pocket when she has too. The women who feel they need IUD's can do the same thing.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 AM

632 posts, read 853,319 times
ReturningWest has every right to not patronize those businesses based on opinions expressed.

Just as the owners of those businesses have every right to operate them in accordance with their
deeply held moral and religious beliefs.

Thankfully there is more than one place to shop for a wood burning set or a chicken sandwich.

It's called freedom. And it's been working pretty well here for 238 years.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
I don't talk politics on CD but I feel strongly about this issue. First, this ruling scares me because it allows a Corporation to exercise their religious beliefs onto their employees. Secondly, I believe this is a attack against women denying to help pay for birth control. Where in the Bible does it say, "No Woman should take birth control?". Hobby Lobby has financial investments in the same drugs that they are now denying. Most of Hobby Lobby's merchandise comes from China, a country that forces women to abort. The Supreme Court was wrong. There are literally millions of women who depend on birth control for other medical reasons. Funny, when you have a business and you decide to incorporate, you get a LLC license to protect your assets or from any liability. How does that equate from being a person? It does not. Enough said. I will never shop in a store that inflicts their religious ideologies onto their employees.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
ReturningWest has every right to not patronize those businesses based on opinions expressed.

Just as the owners of those businesses have every right to operate them in accordance with their
deeply held moral and religious beliefs.

Thankfully there is more than one place to shop for a wood burning set or a chicken sandwich.

It's called freedom. And it's been working pretty well here for 238 years.
Exactly! I agree 110%!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I pay for healthcare insurance, and not all of my needs are covered. I have to pay for pocket out of things that are not covered. I remember my dental insurance stopped covering braces right before I was told I needed to get them. My vision insurance stopped doing the lasik eye surgery, after I had saved up the money to pay for my portion. Then my insurance company stopped covering Advair which didn't affect me but one of my coworkers whose doctor subscribed it to help prevent her sons asthma attacks. The insurance company decided a rescue inhaler was enough. Sometimes she's able to appeal the decision and get it covered but is not successful every time, so she just pays out of her pocket when she has too. The women who feel they need IUD's can do the same thing.
What about an IUD that is a medical necessity this is more common than you think (I'm a retired nurse btw). They pay GOOD money for their premiums now all of a sudden it's not covered. BTW, braces or lasik surgery are not a medical necessity, an IUD can be.

It's one more reason we should have a single payer system. Get rid of corp sponsored health insurance all together and have a single payer.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I don't talk politics on CD but I feel strongly about this issue. First, this ruling scares me because it allows a Corporation to exercise their religious beliefs onto their employees. Secondly, I believe this is a attack against women denying to help pay for birth control. Where in the Bible does it say, "No Woman should take birth control?". Hobby Lobby has financial investments in the same drugs that they are now denying. Most of Hobby Lobby's merchandise comes from China, a country that forces women to abort. The Supreme Court was wrong. There are literally millions of women who depend on birth control for other medical reasons. Funny, when you have a business and you decide to incorporate, you get a LLC license to protect your assets or from any liability. How does that equate from being a person? It does not. Enough said. I will never shop in a store that inflicts their religious ideologies onto their employees.
This woman thanks you.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
What about an IUD that is a medical necessity this is more common than you think (I'm a retired nurse btw). They pay GOOD money for their premiums now all of a sudden it's not covered. BTW, braces or lasik surgery are not a medical necessity, an IUD can be.

It's one more reason we should have a single payer system. Get rid of corp sponsored health insurance all together and have a single payer.
Braces in my case were a medical necessity, not for cosmetic purposes. And the advair was definitely a medical necessity.

I do agree that if the government wants to get involved in healthcare, then they ought to just take over completely instead of trying to dictate what businesses and insurance companies cover.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
And if they do you can go work somewhere else. It is a free country after all and no one would be forcing you to have that job, like you would be forcing someone to try to conform to your views.
What is the religion of XYZ Software Products? So now an employee MUST ASK their employer what their religion is? I keep repeating myself. How many small business go around announcing their religion? So now before accepting a job an employee will have to ASK. It is illegal for an employer to ask their employees what their religion is. Hmmm. Does it work the opposite way?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What is the religion of XYZ Software Products? So now an employee MUST ASK their employer what their religion is? I keep repeating myself. How many small business go around announcing their religion? So now before accepting a job an employee will have to ASK. It is illegal for an employer to ask their employees what their religion is. Hmmm. Does it work the opposite way?
They don't have to ask what their religion is. They could ask what benefits the job offers. Most jobs disclose this information before you begin working. I know before I had many of my jobs I investigated the insurance to make sure it was sufficient for me and my family. I have turned down jobs before because the benefits were not sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events