Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I don't think you understand what abortifacient means, and you also seem to be ignorant of the human physiology of pregnancy. A pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus. An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. Fertilized eggs that are not implanted in the uterus do not result in pregnancy. This occurs naturally, and can also be induced by medical technology.

What you are suggesting is an unsupported and radical definition of abortion. Fertilized eggs do not implant naturally. Failure to implant is not an abortion.
That sounds like a conveniently custom-designed definition. Pregnant literally means "before birth" (Latin) and is generally defined as the condition of carrying a developing offspring.

I don't mind debating opposing viewpoints, but such truth-stretching, or outright lying, is the quickest way to convince me you don't have a valid argument, so you have to start making sh*t up.

Come on, let's deal with truth here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The old "imposing their values" canard. Hobby Lobby is a Christian-centered company, makes no attempt to disguise it, if you go and work there, you know what the deal is. However nobody is required to attend church services nor read the Bible. I think if someone wants to run a private business based on religious principles, as long as they are not violating any EO laws or otherwise, that is their right to do so. If someone doesn't feel comfortable working in a religious-centered environment, it is their right to work elsewhere.

In this situation, Hobby Lobby more than happy to offer birth control coverage but refused to include the "morning after" pill as part of that coverage. If the employees there want access to RU-486, its available over the counter pretty much everywhere, their employer is not preventing them from taking it, they simply didn't want to be forced to include it in their coverage plans.
Yes, and it's very Christian to pay for Vasectomies and purchase your supplies from areas of the world with shady labor practices.

Christian-centered, when it's convienent.

You do realize that a private company gets TAX BENEFITS for offering healthcare, right? That's the entire reason why the government can dictate some things.

Also, RU-486 isn't the morning after pill. It's also not available over the counter (though the morning after pill is, $40 cheapest price approximately).

But keep on being ill-informed.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It violates my moral beliefs to have nearly 5,000 of my fellow citizens, mostly young men, killed in a war over oil a zillion miles away which they knew from the beginning we could never win yet nobody gave me a choice about using my tax dollars to pay for it.
Have you read the news lately? About a thousand just got send there again and Obama is the one doing it. Did he ask you? Does he care to ask anyone?

One day, people will figure out there is no difference between the republicans and the democrats, they all work for the same money. The only difference is that liberals will believe anything any democrat political junkhead says and then defend them regardless of the facts.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:37 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My problem is the hypocritical nature of why Hobby Lobby was fighting for this. They claimed it was against their religious beliefs. They shouldn't have to pay for something they don't believe in. Well, my issue is that they had no problem MAKING money off of something they didn't believe in.

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection - Forbes
Not surprisingly, this so-called information quoted by Forbes has come from the Mother Jones magazine, whose ties to anything resembling real "journalism", or fact, are tenuous at best.

If you look at the article, the company quoted by MJ as the source of these abortion and contraception products is Teva Pharmaceuticals, which may in fact make the products mentioned in Forbes' link, but also makes many specialty drugs ( such as beta-blockers for heart conditions, inhalers and other medications for asthma and COPD, to name a few) as well as many generic drugs.

And, if you look at the link in the article showing a copy of Hobby Lobby's (HL) federal 5500 form showing the companies in which they invested for their employee savings and profit sharing plans ( used to "document" their claim that HL invested in abortifacient-making companies), you'll see the names of three groups: Vanguard Group, American Funds, and the T-Rowe Price Investment Corporations. One of these investment companies may very well have invested funds ( from Hobby Lobby and other investors) in Teva and other pharmaceutical companies- especially as they're looking for good returns on those investments, but I'd say an investor would be hard pressed to determine the identity of each and every company or entity included in the investment company. I'd imagine many of those looking to dig up anything they can find to condemn HL for its determination to stand up for what it believes to be right have also invested in these companies, and have no clue as to the identity of each and every company in which they have invested money through their proxy investment corporations.

It's certainly not as though, as MJ seems to imply, that Hobby Lobby went out and deliberately sought out companies that make abortifacients and invested in those companies.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It violates my moral beliefs to have nearly 5,000 of my fellow citizens, mostly young men, killed in a war over oil a zillion miles away which they knew from the beginning we could never win yet nobody gave me a choice about using my tax dollars to pay for it.
I agree with you completely. It sucks for anyone to be forced to pay for something they find abhorrent.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
NOT a fact. This kind of misinformation is ridiculous.

No intelligent, scientifically-educated person can argue against the fact that life begins at conception. You may choose to call it an unimportant life, a life not yet deserving any rights, a not-yet-human life, but it is life. The processes of mitosis (DNA replication) and cell division begin quite shortly thereafter. Those processes are occurring because the fertilized egg IS now alive.

So, if sex results in the fertilization of an egg (which can happen within 30 minutes), then a pill or device which causes that life-form to later die (which is what the morning after pill and IUD do), then that fits the definition of abortifacient....at least the definition that was in existence for decades. If someone has conveniently "changed the definition" to suit their agenda, that does not change the fact that the morning after pill and IUD cause a life-form to cease to be alive.

And while I personally don't have a moral conviction against such an action, I can understand and respect that many others do. It is an unconscionable form of abortion to many people, and I do not believe that anyone (even if they happen to have founded a large business such as Hobby Lobby) should have to violate their beliefs and pay for it.
The very people who claim there is no life at conception are the same people who run to the benefits line for services, money and help to eventually birth the baby.

To them, life is a thing of convenience but only when they say so.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
and I do not believe that anyone (even if they happen to have founded a large business such as Hobby Lobby) should have to violate their beliefs and pay for it.
It violates my moral beliefs to sacrifice nearly 5,000 of my fellow citizens, most of them young healthy men (to say nothing of the thousands of innocent civilians overseas) in a war started on a lie and continued while everyone knew we could never win. And I had no choice about paying for it with my tax money.

It is against my moral beliefs to subsidize religious organizations who build ridiculously opulent cathedrals, shield known child predators and buy luxury airplanes and mansions for their leaders to try to impress others into giving even more money to their organizations, pay for Pray Away the Gay camps and intimidate homosexuals and their families. And my tax dollars pay for it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Have you read the news lately? About a thousand just got send there again and Obama is the one doing it. Did he ask you? Does he care to ask anyone?

One day, people will figure out there is no difference between the republicans and the democrats, they all work for the same money. The only difference is that liberals will believe anything any democrat political junkhead says and then defend them regardless of the facts.
And Republicans believe everything a false media network spews.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The morning after pill, and the IUD prevent conception. If conception does not occur then an abortion is not needed. Therefore no death has occurred.
They MAY sometimes act in that way, but, depending on the timing of intercourse and ovulation, fertilization may very well have occurred prior to the taking of the morning after pill or the action of the IUD. When Mr. Sperm meets Ms. Egg, conception! Later, the m/a pill or IUD prevents long-term development of that microscopic life.

And while *i* have no moral qualms against such b/c, I understand why many people do.

I do have moral qualms against the kind of bullsh*t I've been reading since this SCOTUS decision.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The very people who claim there is no life at conception are the same people who run to the benefits line for services, money and help to eventually birth the baby.

To them, life is a thing of convenience but only when they say so.
I don't say there's no life at conception, but I do say a woman has the right to make her own decision to terminate the pregnancy. Most people on the government dole watch Faux news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events